• S
    This one is a completely sincere introspection, and not tongue-in-cheek.

I have mentioned disillusionment before, and perhaps lately more than ever before, I feel like I'm drawing closer to enlightenment, and that this enlightenment is in fact a disillusionment with much of what we philosophy-types have been doing all of this time. I think that there's definitely a right and a wrong way to do philosophy, and that a lot of people who are pretty clever, knowledgeable, and thoughtful people, and who probably have greater critical thinking skills than the average person, still nevertheless get sucked into bad ways of thinking and reach the wrong conclusions. It's like they forget themselves. They get lost in the woods. Except that I'm there with them, and I'm beginning to remember myself and find my bearings. I'm trying to show them the way out, but they just argue with me.
  • Sir2u
    I'm trying to show them the way out, but they just argue with me.S

As a wise man once said,
    "Follow me those that will, for I can lead you to the light"

No one followed because it was too dark to see where he was.

Maybe if you started by shining a light on the reasons they should follow you, they would.

Lots of people reach a point in philosophy when the effort is not worth the returns. Your ideas are ignored, your thoughts are laughed at and you feel like quitting.
    Just remember something though, what you do in philosophy should be for your benefit. So make yourself better and screw the rest. :up:
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.