• wax
    I think there must be a lot of what could be argued, is social engineering in the entertainment industry.

Subtle assumptions that are made in a movie that we take on board in order to accept the storyline.

I'll give one example.
    The Day After Tomorrow
    In that movie, the whole world had somehow experienced an ecological disaster over night.
    The US was a wreck; covered in snow etc, from what I remember, and what was left was going to head south into Mexico etc.
    The subtle assumption implied here is that was suddenly ok, for one country to march into another country en mass, just because there had been a disaster. Especially maybe it was implied that it would be ok for the US to do this.
    Well in the real world disasters(economic, wars, droughts etc) happen all the time, locally, and this doesn't really always give the population much slack to start moving to other countries.

This is one of the ones I remember noticing, and I noticed it while I was watching, and they seemed to attempt to resolve this problem by saying that the US would forgive Mexico(?) all its debts to the US. Well in the movie it was lucky then that Mexico was in debt to the US.

This must go on a lot in the products of the entrainment, subtle assumptions that form part of a larger narrative that is being spun. I'm a great believer in the concept of the subconscious, and I think people are fairly unaware of a lot of their own thinking and motives, but they can emerge in our actions, without there being a deliberate attempt to promote a way of looking at things, or be part of generating a narrative.

It's not just the news media, who spin narratives by getting the viewer to accept certain assumptions without even realising it, it is all media, and it is al social interactions as well.

Narratives are kind of like a matrix; they are a way to see the world, and provide a way to interpret it and function in it. I think we live in a world of interconnected narratives, not all working towards the same outcome, but i think there isn't really a way to see the world without them. We all have our matrix. Our eyes and ears, for a start, don't just somehow plug into out awareness. Our way of seeing reality is kind of generated by our minds; full of assumptions, interpretations, memories, motivations, vested interests etc....it is just about what narrative matrix we end up with, although it is forever changing.

If anyone wants to give other examples of things they have seen or heard that might have promoted a narrative in this way, feel free.
  • RegularGuy

I am often struck by themes in American movies that suggest values that are taken for granted: “Hard work is moral”, “Success is monetary in nature”, “Us vs. Them where it is assumed that ‘We’ are always good and right”, “Business savvy equals intelligence”, and many others.

Can you think of others?
  • Sir2u
    If anyone wants to give other examples of things they have seen or heard that might have promoted a narrative in this way, feel free.wax

You do not need to go far to find examples nor do they have to be million dollar movies.

The Flintstones was supposed to be kids entertainment, but did you ever notice the topics?

Betty getting mad at Fred because she thought he was messing around with another woman.
    Fred trying to be a snob to make Betty happy.
    Troubles with the law and gangsters.
    How ideal families should behave.

Lots and lots of conditioning for the tots.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.