• wax
    Theories about these compact, dense bodies often have properties like 'event horizons'.

Are models with even horizons testable?

Are models where bodies are slightly larger than the event horizon models, and an event horizon doesn't form, testable?

The term 'event horizon' comes, I think, from the idea that events that happen in the area of space defined by the event horizon, can't be known. That being the case, that would seem to me to make those models un-testable.

But other theories which don't have event horizons seem like they could be testable.

I personally don't think event horizons can form, and that they are just mathematical models that don't have any representation in the physical universe.

I am quite happy with the idea of a body in permanent, exponentially gravitationally time-dilated, collapse....they are a bit larger than the event horizon and in a slow(from a distant observer's point of view) state of collapse(asymptotic collapse with the Schwarzschild radius representing the limit of the collapse).

I read that in a lot of ways these two models are indistinguishable in the way they warp space-time etc...the non-event-horizon object curving space-time just slightly less, I guess..

If one model is testable and the other isn't which model is more valid scientifically?
  • GigoloJoe
    Black holes are a consequence of Relativity. Various aspects of Relativity are testable and there are lots of studies to support much of what Relativity postulates, at least from a mathematical perspective. The problem with black holes is there aren't exactly many nearby and our own effortst to create one have thus far not produced a result so much of the study in this area remains theoretical and the remainder is largely confined to what is observable through telescopes. And within the theories there is debate regarding what goes on in and around them. So, at present, much of what is postulated about black holes is not testable.
  • Rank Amateur
    Wax I think there is certainly evidence of a black hole in the center of the milky way - if memory serves the speed of the gasses circulating the "hole" have been used to estimate the gravitation force needed to produce that movement. It would require something the mass of a few billion "suns" occupying the space of something like our solar system.
  • wax
    Wax I think there is certainly evidence of a black hole in the center of the milky wayRank Amateur

There is evidence of a highly dense massive object, and I'm sure there is...Sag A*...but as I said, in theory it would be hard to tell the difference between a 'black hole' and an asymptotically collapsing object, just slightly bigger than the theoretical black hole..it would produce similar evidence, like the gasses radiating light as they circle it, and the radiation given off at the poles.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.