• Amity
    How does that grab you ?
    Some see change as scary, others are consoled by it. How can philosophy help ?

Yesterday, I did something different. I tuned in to BBC Radio 3 and the programme:
    Words and Music:
    https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/hqgswk/words-and-music--everything-must-change/
    The summary starts:

"Winter turns to spring' and 'a wounded heart will heal.' This week's Words & Music circles around a song by Bernard Ighner, Everything Must Change, heard here in Nina Simone's powerful 1978 interpretation. The ballad is a meditation on 'the way of time' and the truth that life is itself constant transformation. To look at the news these days is to be reminded of a world in flux, collapse and transition. But zooming out from the posturing and political noise, we are invited to marvel at how all things are interconnected, to sit with the knowledge that, in Thomas Hardy's words, the elements that make up a 'ruddy human life' become the green shoots of a young tree, that bones become coral and eyes, pearls, in the famous imagery of Ariel's song from The Tempest. But how do we respond to the miracle of existence and the fact of death? DH Lawrence and Marcus Aurelius suggest that to embrace change is to experience life more fully and more naturally..."

So, a mix of philosophy, readings, poetry and music. How great is that ?!
    Too much at times, a bit high falutin' ? Or just right...when it just moseys along. And hits the spot.

The power of words and music to change a mental state is something most recognise.
    I had never heard Nina Simone sing 'Everything Must Change' before. The lyrics alone speak out but with the music; the composer, the singer, the listener. The feeling...

https://youtu.be/P9ycirYfmcY

The lyrics:

everything must change
    nothing stays the same
    everyone will change
    no one, no one stays the same

the young become the old
    and mysteries do unfold
    for that's the way of time
    no one, and nothing goes unchanged

there are not many things in life one can be sure of
    except rain comes from the clouds
    sun lights up the sky
    hummingbirds fly

winter turns to spring
    a wounded heart will heal
    oh but never much too soon
    no one, and nothing goes unchanged

everything must change

Songwriters: Benard Ighner

Everything changes. That consoles me.
    Zooming out and in.

How about you ?
    If you had the opportunity to compile a radio show of readings, poetry or music - what would you include ?
    This sounds a bit like Desert Island Discs - and yes, I listened to that too. Revisited Tom Hanks.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv-programme/e/fgdk6v/desert-island-discs-revisited-americans-tom-hanks/

His choices reflecting his life and philosophy - he had taken much time over. What a guy !
    Loneliness seemed to be the theme...having to adapt to changes as a child - and at one point he lost his composure. But always kept his positive humanity in this 45 min interview.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.