• BC
    Therefore there can be no objective definition of ''evil'.wax

I don't see why there can be no objective definition of evil because we are not objective all the time.

God is our creation, not the other way around. In making that declaration, I guess I am devaluing god quite a bit, demoting him from the eternal, all powerful all knowing all present being that some people think he is. God and I are on good terms, though, especially if we don't talk to each other too often.

Evil is also our creation -- and something we can be remarkably good at (evil, that is). We are the source of evil.
  • wax
    I don't see why there can be no objective definition of evil because we are not objective all the time.

God is our creation, not the other way around. In making that declaration, I guess I am devaluing god quite a bit, demoting him from the eternal, all powerful all knowing all present being that some people think he is. God and I are on good terms, though, especially if we don't talk to each other too often.

Evil is also our creation -- and something we can be remarkably good at (evil, that is). We are the source of evil.
    Bitter Crank

every thing we experience is a process of one part of reality viewing the rest of it.
    By observing reality you are affected by it, and so reality is affected by your observations..there is no way to stand outside reality, so there can be no objective position on anything...so there can be no objective definition of any word, or concept.

We do create models of things, and generate concepts. But take the scientific model of anything, like an atom. You can have a whole text book written about atoms, yet how do you connect the words on the paper, to an actual atom? You may have a model of atoms, and it may make predictions that can be tested, the predictions may be tested and provide evidence for the model of the atom, but that isn't a real connection, is it.
    People may come up with a theory model for a god....and again does that connect it to any reality of a god...even if you could test for it?
    So when you say god is the creation of humans, what I take it to mean is that humans have formed various models and theories of a god. But that has little bearing on whether there is or is not a god,.
  • BC
    what I take it to mean is that humans have formed various models and theories of a god. But that has little bearing on whether there is or is not a godwax

Yes. The existence of God (or gods) will be beyond proof until such time as God (or gods) decide to manifest himself (or themselves) in an unambiguous way. But I like the way you put it.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.