• astroarmut
    The statement 'arbeit macht frei' means 'working / studying makes free'. It predates 1800s but it is renowned with concentration camps. Let s assume the statement is directly produced by Nazis. how should a community approach to the source-output link ethically? Likewise, how people should handle any brilliant work that is stemming from an evil source?

With My Best Wishes !
    Agun
  • Echarmion
    I don't see how you could conclude that a work is evil/inappropriate based solely on the source of that work without committing what amounts to a genetic fallacy.
  • astroarmut
    I mostly see it within the community even among intellectuals. For instance when they first meet the output they venerate but soon after they learn the source, they cold-shoulder. This situation makes me think over it
  • TheMadFool
    I thought work = modern slavery where you get just enough to escape the definition of slavery. It's a jedi mindtrick.
  • astroarmut
    what about a work of self-improvement which is independent of an authority? For instance sculpture or experiments of a scientist?
  • tim wood
    Likewise, how people should handle any brilliant work that is stemming from an evil source?astroarmut
    What is this thread about?
  • Artemis
    how should a community approach to the source-output link ethically? Likewise, how people should handle any brilliant work that is stemming from an evil source?astroarmut

Likewise? Those are two totally different questions.
  • astroarmut
    I think that is the core part. Let s say there is a scientist who tries to create a medicine for a critical illness. But he/ she has to kill 82 kids to get the requisite ingredients. He does that and find the cure which works well. Killing 82 kids is evil part; a cure that converts the fatal illness into a petty complain is brilliant part. While knowing 82 kids are the source of the brilliant panacea how should the patient feel to use the medicine?
  • astroarmut
    I think that is the core part. Let s say there is a scientist who tries to create a medicine for a critical illness. But he/ she has to kill 82 kids to get the requisite ingredients. He does that and find the cure which works well. Killing 82 kids is evil part; a cure that converts the fatal illness into a petty complaint is brilliant part. While knowing 82 kids are the source of the brilliant panacea how should the patient feel to use the medicine?
  • schopenhauer1
    what about a work of self-improvement which is independent of an authority? For instance sculpture or experiments of a scientist?astroarmut

All slogans for work- "Work hard, play hard".. "Work for its own sake".. "Work sets you free".. They all work similarly as propaganda to get humans to do more.. Just like the invisible hand- self-improvement becomes society improvement.. Individuals are simply used by society.. these slogans are more blatant about using people. In this case it is horrible in how it was meant to be ironically cruel. So I would say the slogan is never good in any context. Even outside of its horrible origins.
  • tim wood
    how should the patient feel to use the medicine?astroarmut
    Useless question. Feelings are feelings, they are what they are, and there is either no accounting for them, or it is extremely difficult to account for them.

Now your question, "how should the patient feel?" has been answered. But it seems likely to me that this thread is not about how anyone feels. Am I wrong? Or is it about something else?
  • Terrapin Station
    Judge claims and other work on their own merit. Don't judge them on unrelated factors. As pointed out above, that's the genetic fallacy.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.