• Jose Guilherme
    Hello

I’m studying by myself Daniel Bonevac’s book “Deduction” and I’ve encountered some exercises whose resolution I’m finding problematic. There are some that I would like to discuss with you, but for now I would like to concentrate on exercise 20, page 238.

So, the exercise is the following:

3xVy( y = x <-> Gy); therefore 3x3yVz ( ~ (x = y) & (z = x V z = y)) <-> 3xVy( y = x <-> ~ Gy)

Any comment would be greatly appreciated.
  • tim wood
    Is the = sign a higher level than the <-> sign?

I read this in sort-of English this way:

1a) (y=x) is the same as Gy
    or
    1b) y=(x is the same as Gy)

therefore (I read 'therefore" as "=>", or "implies".)

2) x not-equal y and (z=x) v (z=y)

is the same as

3a) (y=x) is the same as not-Gy)
    or
    3b) y=(x is the same as not-Gy)

So. From 1a): x=y
    From this it follows that 2) is false. (Because 2) says x not-equal y.)
    For 2) to be the same as 3), because 2) is false, 3) must be false.
    3) contradicts 1). 1) being true, then 3) is false.

Or, a true statement implies that a false statement is the same as a false statement. Which is true.

-----

2) is nonsensical anyway.
  • Jose Guilherme
    Oh... my bad (I'm portuguese, by the way, so some errors in my english are possible).

<-> is the conective for the logical equivalence. So in the exercise "y = x <-> Gy" is "y is equal to x if and ony if y is G".
  • fdrake
    3xVy( y = x <-> Gy); therefore 3x3yVz ( ~ (x = y) & (z = x V z = y)) <-> 3xVy( y = x <-> ~ Gy)

=

?

Forum has mathjax support.
  • Jose Guilherme
    Yes.

It's precisely that!
  • andrewk
    Let's try making it a bit more intuitive.

Let the set of all objects be U. We don't know what properties the predicate G has, but we know that, like any unary predicate, it must divide U into a set of objects that satisfy G, call it u1, and a set that doesn't, call it u2.

Then the first statement, call it P1 tells us that only one object satisfies G, ie that u1 consists of exactly one object.

The statement we are asked to prove, call it P2, has two parts, call them A and B, that we are asked to prove are logically equivalent, ie that the <-> holds, given the assumption P1.

Inspecting A carefully, we see that it says that U consists of exactly two objects.
    Inspecting B carefully, we see that it says that u2 consists of exactly one object.

Stepping back and thinking of a universe containing only two objects, it seems plausible that P1 would imply that A and B are equivalent. Now we just need to prove it formally.

As is usual with proofs of equivalence (<->), we chould first prove one direction, then the other. Choose the easiest-looking direction first.
  • Jose Guilherme
    So I will show you where currently lies my problem. So, I’m trying a reduction but I’m not seeing how to get the contradiction. I’m guessing that I’ve to get a proposition telling “ ~ (b =a)”, but I’m not seeing how.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nw0cmgx0bqvybml/IMG_0059.JPG?dl=0
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.