• GregB
    I am currently an undergrad student going for a major in philosophy and minor in ethics. I want to do an independent study on the Vikings, as I am very fascinated with that culture, but I am not sure if I could tie it in with philosophy or ethics. As a military veteran, I really admire the fearless mentality of the Vikings, especially the berserkers, as they would charge into battle. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this, or suggestions on how to approach this idea for an independent study or if I should abandon the idea of it?

• tim wood
    Try reading Njal's Saga. It's a good way in.
  • Terrapin Station
    Why would you trust random strangers on the Internet to give you advice on this rather than just going to one of your professors or your academic advisor(s)?
  • GregB
    Good point, but I am just looking for ideas. I actually have an appointment with my advisor this week.
  • StreetlightAccepted Answer
    I've actually read a paper on beserker rage in a philosophical context! It's by John Protevi, and might be of interest to you. It's available from his site free, here.

I originally read the paper in his book Life, War, Earth, in which it has somewhat more philosophical meat to it, and which I'd recommended unreservedly if the paper piques your interest at all.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.