• Adur Alkain
    I’m proposing an idealistic interpretation of quantum mechanics. This is a very simple notion, but I haven’t found it anywhere in the literature I have consulted, so here it is. This is the essential outline:

1. There is no “physical world” (understood as a world of objects that exist outside observation). There is only observation.

2. Quantum mechanics doesn’t describe a hypothetical world of very small objects (subatomic particles, waves, fields, etc.). Quantum mechanics describes the probabilities of future observations.

3. Observation can be defined as a special type of conscious experience that is bound by the laws of physics.

4. The laws of physics are the laws of observation.

Please note that this idealistic interpretation is slightly different than the traditional “consciousness causes collapse” interpretation. It is not that consciousness somehow influences the physical world. There is no physical world. There is only consciousness.

In my understanding, this radical but very simple idea solves all the apparent paradoxes and problems of quantum mechanics, like the measurement problem, wave-particle duality, etc. It also solves the main objection that has been traditionally made to philosophical idealism: the fact that all observers seem to perceive the same world. According to this interpretation, all observers see and experience the same world because they all are bound by the same laws of observation, the laws of physics. (“There is only one wave function.”) The primacy of the fundamental laws of physics precludes solipsism.

To illustrate the implications of this idealistic interpretation, I will comment on Einstein’s famous objection (originally directed at the Copenhagen interpretation): “Do you really think the moon isn’t there if you aren’t looking at it?”
    If we look closely at the word “moon”, we can recognize that it refers to three different realities:

1. The observed moon: the moon as it appears to an actual observer.

2. The mental moon: the moon as a thought or mental concept.

3. The physical moon: the result of the physical laws that predict the probabilities of the moon being observed by any possible observer at any given point in spacetime.

We can call these three distinct realities moon1, moon2 and moon3. In answer to Einstein’s question, we can say that moon1 only exists when it is being observed by at least one conscious observer, moon2 exists independently of any observation, but only in our minds, and moon3 exists in the virtual realm of the fundamental laws of physics, the laws of observation. This moon3 or “physical moon” exist only as pure potentiality (until it is actually observed), but its existence is as reliable and objective as the hypothetical “material moon” postulated by materialism. There is no added “fuzziness” in this interpretation. All the known laws of physics stay in place.

According to this interpretation, the laws of quantum mechanics are fundamentally indeterministic and probabilistic. This indeterminism leaves open the question of what “decides” the result of any given quantum-level event (collapse of the wave function). I will venture to suggest two opposed and verifiable hypotheses:

- the stochastic hypothesis: the results of quantum-level events are purely random, strictly obeying the probabilities described by the wave function.

- the volitional hypothesis: an inherent quality of consciousness that we can tentatively name “volition” or “will”, decides (under normal conditions on a subliminal level) the outcome of quantum-level events, within the range of probabilities described by the wave function.

This could be tested by repeating a quantum-level experiment as many times as possible, while the experimenters-observers tried to influence the result with their “will”. For example, a very simple system with two possible outcomes of 50%-50% probability should give results with a 50-50 distribution, according to the stochastic hypothesis. A statistically significant deviation from this expected distribution would support the volitional hypothesis.
  • Marchesk
    A problem for this interpretation is that the necessary cosmology, astrophysics, geology and evolution would have to be dependent on future observation, even though consciousness depends on having bodies that evolved because of those conditions being met.
  • Marchesk
    The arrow of time is provided by thermodynamics and the initial state of the Big Bang, which is observation-independent, suggesting some kind of mind-independent physical reality. The cat might be alive or dead, but the time since the Big Bang remains the same either way. Also, the fact that there can be cats.
  • Aadee

Everyone lives their own reality. Thanks for sharing yours. IMO the universe and all within it exist independent of any observer.

"1. The observed moon: the moon as it appears to an actual observer."
    Is the moon as we are able to observe within the our own limits.

2. The mental moon: the moon as a thought or mental concept.
    The conscious represented internal version/vision of the moon including emotional, and even extremely low probability reality versions. This represents all the information we (as each separate realty, or we as an agreed upon structure for transfer of info between our realities) have detected about "the Moon". Although the use of scientific disciplines is by far the best way we have come to detect and manage information, they should still be understood to be limiting. The whole point of structure is to limit information transfer to that within the standard. In other words the science does not give a darn how you "feel" about the moon, but how you feel about the moon is encompassed within everything you "know" about the moon.

3. The physical moon: the result of the physical laws that predict the probabilities of the moon being observed by any possible observer at any given point in spacetime.
    IMO the physical moon is a result of the physical rules defining existence in the universe it occupies.
    Laws of probability this way should be read as the probability that "the moon" occupies a universe that also contains us or a observer by your definition. Actually a suprisingly high probability of the quantum function say it is overwhelmingly more likely that "the moon" occupies a universe with us then it does not. That however does not limit our conscious efforts to know more about "the moon". So does not sum up the information about "the moon" available in the universe, that you or i as separate realities have detected and collected about "the moon" or with increasing complexity and density in time of information management/transfer what all the above will know about "the moon" in the future.
  • Adur Alkain
    Thanks for your answer!
    The whole point of my "idealistic interpretation" is to see if we can account for everything we know about the "physical world" without the assumption that it exists outside observation. My contention is that we can. Therefore, following Occam's razor, we should let go of that assumption, especially since doing so all the problems and paradoxes of quantum mechanics seem to go away.
    I'm not denying that you can also give account of the universe by assuming that it exists independently of any observer, but that wasn't my point. :)
  • Adur Alkain
    A problem for this interpretation is that the necessary cosmology, astrophysics, geology and evolution would have to be dependent on future observation, even though consciousness depends on having bodies that evolved because of those conditions being met.Marchesk

I realize this is the main problem with this interpretation. I can see two possible solutions:

a) The laws of physics are fixed and eternal. Consciousness is fundamental, and has been there since the Big Bang (this would look quite similar to the traditional idea of God, I'm afraid).

b) Consciousness and the laws of physics (the laws of observation) have evolved at the same time. The laws of physcis are not fixed, they are more like habits (like in Rupert Sheldrake's view of evolution). We can imagine that the first observation started with a small bacterium, capable of distinguishing between light and dark, wet and dry, warm and cold (this is pure Taoism). In this vision, consciousness is a property of living organisms. This notion would imply that it is incorrect to try to project the current laws of physics into the past: they only can make predictions about the future. In other words, there was never a Big Bang. There were no oceans until the first bacteria appeared. The stars we can see now only came into existence when the first animals that evolved eyes observed them, etc.

I personally find option b the most likely, although it certainly feels weird and quite difficult to imagine. But the materialistic narrative is literally impossible to imagine: can anyone imagine a Big Bang without anybody looking at it? By definition, the answer is no. You need to imagine yourself looking at it (from the perspective of "God", I guess) to be able to imagine it. But that's cheating.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.