• Judaka
    So you are interested in philosophy, presumably, you've got questions you want answers to and goals you wish to achieve.

If you could get every answer to every question you wanted and/or achieve all of your goals in philosophy then what would that look like for you?

Satisfaction? New skills and understanding? Personal development?

Personally, I discussing philosophy because I find it enjoyable - just as others might talk about other topics for the same reason. However, I mostly do it for personal development. I want to be able to understand more about myself, others and the world and then use my understanding to help myself and help myself help others.

I am interested in looking at problems in new ways and particularly understanding how others experience philosophical problems and deal with them is very interesting to me. I know that to be good at something, you really need to spend a lot of time doing that thing and ensuring you are constantly looking to be better.

I like to put my positions forward strongly so that people will be inspired to tear them down! I try my best to pretend I am on the side of those who are arguing against me and find any holes. That's how I think I will gain competence in philosophy and know that I am striving towards my goals.

Please share your own stories!
    1. What do you learn about and discuss philosophy for? (4 votes)
        Recreational activity
        25%
        Find answers to questions you feel compelled to ask
          0%
        Personal development
        75%
  • S
    That poll should be multiple choice, not that that's currently an option here given the forum software, even if you wanted it to be. I would vote for all three.
  • Nickel
    Out of the choices it would be recreational activity. I'm not looking for answers per se, or looking to achieve goals, I am looking for peace of mind, but I only seem to achieve it in the process, not as a goal/destination, which ids OK by me. I love learning, mainly science and philosophy and the achievement of learning or seeing the world in a different way, gives me peace of mind.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.