• Ciceronianus
    I suspect it was much "easier" being a stoic back in the days of ancient Rome.Wallows
    Epictetus was a slave of a freedman in the court of Nero. He probably didn't have an easy life in that place. It's said his master (or someone) deliberately broke his leg, rendering him lame for life. Marcus Aurelius spent most of his reign as Emperor on campaign in the forests of Germania.

We live in a postmodernist society where anything flies and everyone is entitled to their opinionWallows
    Perhaps, but when someone says or does something, or tries to do something wrong and its in our power to rebuke or stop them, we should do so regardless of their opinion.

My resentment is the nullification of legitimate feelings, like anger, and their repression.Wallows

It's not so much repression as intelligent regulation, and a recognition that much as we may want to, we can't control others no matter how much we hate them. We will get angry, but we need not trash our hotel room or break windows or break jaws, or act maliciously or vindictively. We need not allow our anger to consume us. We need not hate, or plot revenge.
  • Shawn
    It's said his master (or someone) deliberately broke his leg, rendering him lame for life.Ciceronianus the White

See, that's the sort of stuff that is beyond my capacity to be indifferent about. It's just plain wrong.

Perhaps, but when someone says or does something, or tries to do something wrong and its in our power to rebuke or stop them, we should do so regardless of their opinion.Ciceronianus the White

How is that even possible in the kind of world we live in?

It's not so much repression as intelligent regulation, and a recognition that much as we may want to, we can't control others no matter how much we hate them. We will get angry, but we need not trash our hotel room or break windows or break jaws, or act maliciously or vindictively. We need not allow our anger to consume us. We need not hate, or plot revenge.Ciceronianus the White

What does intelligent regulation even mean?
  • Banno
    Being a misanthrope is perhaps the antithesis of stoic philosophy, yet here I am spouting a misanthropic tune about people in general. What to do?Wallows

Stoicism is an attitude. Misanthropy is a way of being. You can choose both.

And if you are not a misanthrope, you are doing philosophy wrong.
  • Shawn
    Stoicism is an attitude. Misanthropy is a way of being.Banno

You say that both can be professed concomitant, yet my OP clearly demonstrates that there's some snag somewhere. Care to untangle the knot?
  • Banno

The problem I have recognized in myself with respect to stoic philosophy is that I have essentially started hating any strong emotions.Wallows

Hate is a strong emotion.

Shit's gonna happen. Adopt an attitude of acceptance.
  • Shawn
    Hate is a strong emotion.Banno

Indeed, emotions, tricky thing that verge into the Frankfurtian realm of lower order volition's and higher order volition's.

Adopt an attitude of acceptance.Banno

Easier said than done.
  • Banno
    Easier said than done.Wallows

Yes.

Do you meditate? See, perhaps, Sam Harris's Waking up app.
  • Shawn

I do some meditation in bed while laying down. Not sure if that counts.

Thanks for the app, I'll give it a whirl.
  • Amity
    Stop allowing yourself to be unduly disturbed by things beyond your control--which would include "people in general."

Easy to say. I am unable to get past the burden of Stoicism manifest in this quote from Marcus Aurelius:

Begin the morning by saying to thyself, I shall meet with the busy-body, the ungrateful, arrogant, deceitful, envious, unsocial. All these things happen to them by reason of their ignorance of what is good and evil.
    — Marcus Aurelius

Really? Begin each morning with negative visualizations of people in general? Who does this to themselves?
    Wallows

You have talked of your problems with Stoicism before:

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/comment/15494

https://thephilosophyforum.com/discussion/4589/the-lame-stoic

If you have spent time reading and following up on other posters' responses, why are you still apparently in this mental quandary ? Is it that you expect easy answers on how to deal with people or life ?

There is no easy way, as you know. There is no single perfect philosophy.

You say you are unable to get past the burden of an ancient morning meditation which you perceive as a negative visualisation.

I see Marcus as preparing himself mentally for the day ahead. His workload as Roman Emperor was a heavy one. Amongst other things he had to spend time addressing matters of law such as petitions and hearing disputes.

Rather than being negative about people in general, he was quite the realist. He knew the different types he would have to deal with. His writings were addressed to himself as a reminder to be patient with those who had poor quality of character and behaviour. Basically, it was because they did not know any better.

It is perhaps wise not to pick out quotes without giving context. Or reading the whole story. The variations between early, late Stoicism and the philosophers within this tradition; it is complex and yet simple. Extract what is useful to you to find peace of mind and to interact with the world. And then get on with living.

So, to those who spend a high percentage of time wallowing with ongoing musings on a philosophy forum, Marcus might turn your question round and ask : 'Who would do that to themselves ?'
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.