• Terrapin Station
    I don't care whether you agree with claims A and B. You claimed that they were not the same, i.e. that claim C is not correctJohn
    Simple logic can not be this hard to grasp.

If neither A nor B nor C are the same, then how would giving an opinion on A or B imply something about C? (At least in lieu of any other connecting claims, which we didn't have.)
  • Janus

Because C is the claim that A and B are equivalent, and although you now say you agree with it, earlier you claimed that when I expressed myself first in terms of A then in terms of B, that I had changed what I was claiming. It seems you don't want to admit you were wrong and are now becoming slippery and trying to wriggle out by deflecting the argument.

In any case, I don't really care about that. I asked you whether you think there is any reality apart from what we perceive and think and/or can perceive and think. It is on the basis that I asserted that there cannot be such that you stated that I am not "a realist in the conventional sense of the term". Given that I allow for the sake of argument that there is such a conventional sense and that you know precisely what that is, and given that you seem to think you are a realist in such a sense ( which I have already noted and you have not denied) then I am asking you to answer the question in the second sentence of this paragraph. Answer it or be ignored; your choice.
  • Terrapin Station
    Because C is the claim that A and B are equivalent,John
    No it isn't. C is a claim about what we (can) think and perceive qua what we think and perceive. A and B are claims about what reality consists of. The big clues are that C begins with "What we perceive and think," where it goes on to make a statement about what we perceive and think, whereas A and B begin with "There is no reality apart from." Now maybe you had something else in mind, but I'm talking about what you wrote.
  • Janus

No, C is the claim that what we perceive and think about it is equivalent to what we can perceive and think about it.

This, if true, (which you have now accepted) entails that A and B are equivalent claims.

I have asked whether you accept the claim made in different words by A and B or not, and you won't answer.
  • Terrapin Station
    No, C is the claim that what we perceive and think about it is equivalent to what we can perceive and think about it.John
    That's not a claim about what we perceive and think?
145678Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.