• Philarete
    Hi all,

(1) I read today in a paper that if one gives up the asymmetry of a relation, one will also have to give up "at least one of irreflexivity or transitivity". But how can we prove this ? I am especially concerned by the move from symmetry to non-transitivity.

(2) Some, in the literature on metaphysical grounding, contend that an irreflexive, asymmetric, but non-transitive relation might form loops. Instances of the relation, it is said, would form chains "double-backing" of themselves. I have a lot of trouble to grasp what this is supposed to mean, or how we could illustrate this principle. The best I can think of is something of the like : aRb, bRc, cRd, dRa. But here, my intuition is rather that a loop is introduced by transitivity (and not by non-transitivity). Isn't it because R is transitive that we may go all the way from a back to a ?

I should stress that I have no background in set theory, which is why I had a hard time to answer these question by looking up online.

Thanks in advance for your help
    Philarete
  • MathematicalPhysicist
    Regarding question (1):
    A relation can have any properties we wish it to have.

Perhaps you meant for an equivalence relation which is a binary relation which is transitive, reflexive and symmetric.

You should give us a link to the paper.
  • sime
    (t) transitivity: aRb & bRc => aRc
    (s) symmetry: aRb <=> bRa
    (r) reflexivity: aRa

(s) & (t) => (r) via substitution of (s) into (t)

Therefore:

(s) => { (t) => (r) } (giving up irreflexivity if transitivity is true)
    (s) & Not (r) => Not (t) (giving up transitivity if irreflexivity is true)
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.