• Moliere
    You might say that life is indeed meaningless on such massive time scales such as of billions of years. What about the here and now? What about my life? Let's just focus on life right now, and forget what happens in the far distant future. Unfortunately the question of life's meaningfulness still remains.Purple Pond

It remains -- but does it remain because of the heat death of the universe, or does the heat death of the universe happen to appear significant because the question of life's meaningfulness remains?

My suspicion is the latter. So a person who is not questioning the meaningfulness of their life will look at these facts and shrug, thinking them of no consequence.

And if that's the case then these facts have no bearing on whether life is meaningful or not. So there must be something else.
  • Joshs
    I never met anybody who did not have a fixed position. Let me explain that. By fixed position I don't mean a script they can rattle off. I dont even necessarily mean a position they are even conscious of. By fixed position I mean that, at the highest level of abstraction, we all carry with us and make sense of our world in all its aspects by interpreting it though a worldview that includes and integrates within itself political, aesthetic, philosophical, spirirtual and psychological elements. THis wworldives is not static but evolves slowly. So it is not fixed within itself by fixed(stable) in a relative sense in relation to the worldviews of others.
    Whether we know it or not, we all belong within a family of philosophical positions/eras.
  • Joshs
    I think we could devote our entire lives to trying to keep our position as rigidly fixed as possible, and in spite of our best efforts, we would find that we had changed our perspective continually over the course of our life. Of course, we would probably argue that our current view had been our position all along and we merely fine-tuned it.
    By the same token, one could dedicate their being to never settling for any particular position, even refusing tattoos on the belief that they symbolize a permanence of view. And yet, one would find over the course of their life that that changes in their worldview amounted to variations of an unfolding theme. Neither the self-same nor revolutionary overcoming rules experiencing; rather a being-the-same differently.
  • S
    What on earth are you two talking about?
  • Yuuky002
    Honestly life our lives are meaningless.
    If you stop to think what are we, what am I, only one person in 7 billion.
    Both me and you know I'm not spatial in any sense, nether are you, and nether was Einstein. We are all resumed in one in 7 billion, that live in a planet in 7, that orbits a star on infinity. So, truly, what meaning does my, or your, life have?
    There is no meaning and no big picture in our existence. It just doesn't matter. All that the scientists and all the progress we made till now, only matter to our world, but not to the hole picture. So, in the end, wen everything is over, and there is no human nor any documentation of our achievements. What meaning did they had than.
    Even though we have no meaning and all we do is meaningless. There is meaning in our vanity, because we are meaningful for each other, all the achievements we have are meaningful to us. That is what keeps me going, the idea that things are meaningful to me and to others, even if they are meaningless in a hole.
  • AppLeo
    Many people place the meaning and purpose of their life on an outside source. That your life is only justified because something else approves or needs it. But I think that's a load of nonsense.

You don't have purpose because God created you. You don't have purpose because you reproduce to prolong the existence of humanity. You don't have purpose because you serve your country. You don't have purpose because you help other people. And it doesn't mean you lack purpose when you can't do these things. You don't lack purpose because you're a small speck in the universe.

The purpose of your life is your life. The purpose of other people's lives is their lives. To live life to the fullest and to be happy. Life is an end in itself.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.