• noAxioms
    Suppose I am an ontological nihilist who believes that nothing exists, including events. In that sense, all events have the same ontological status, that of not existing. Would that count as "eternalism" then under your view?Mr Bee
    If there is no distinction between the present and other times, then yes.
    I'm no nihilist, but rather a relativist, so I think 'to exist' is a relation between things, not a property. So the moon may exist to me, but that doesn't make it just 'exist', which I find to be meaningless.

there simply is no choice but to be a B-theorist since the discovery of relativity. Presentism simply doesn't work.Inis
    I've defended the opposite side of that argument. I don't think relativity contradicts presentism, however much I think presentism is nonsense. The two view make all the same empirical predictions, and theory of relativity is an empirical theory, not a metaphysical interpretation.

Then again, I sort of thought of my own 'disproof' of presentism that basically demonstrates that if time flows, then actual time (not dilated by either speed or gravity) must flow infinitely fast, or our time (clocks on earth) are all stopped. Since presentism does not assert finite flow of actual time, my demonstration fails to disprove presentism.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.