• Emmanuele
    I have had many experiences in my life to only be 18 years old.

An example might be how I once hid from the police with my father due to the fact that we were in the woods and that he was going to meet someone (he would most likely give him drugs to sell).

We have this experience, which has not really traumatized me at all, but it has allowed me to see many things about people in general. I personally diagnose my father as a sociopath, as well as my brother. I would scale them as "low functioning". None of them is aware of their features or their non-conscious thinking. This is how I approach them, keeping this in mind.

I concluded this at a very early age, so now I can even consider myself a professional in the evaluation of people's behavior. So now I can say that almost everyone I know seems to have some kind of disease.

Most of the time we cloud this fact with character traits. We would love to believe that we are all destined for something. That somehow we all have something that makes us special. This is the common sense that justifies a great amount of madness wandering the streets and our houses.

There is a norm for all humans. Be intelligent, self-conscious and aware. Anyone who does not have any of these three is in some way or another close to some kind of illness.

Let's add to this close mentality. All those who have a closed mindset should also be considered on the average. Everyone who has been automated for work, reproduction and consumption has this feature. These traits are of animals, in what way does a working man specifically equate to a human trait? A man is capable of hard work, but hard work does not make him a man.

We reason closed-minded individuals. These people have a what? For what? In what way is a nearby mind beneficial to a human? In your survival maybe. Your focus on yourself and your RELATIVE beliefs are somehow valid as a good person. Oh, he's irritated because you said this, you said that. That is normal... I'm sorry but no.

What do you think? Would you agree?

• Clark CallanderAccepted Answer
    I think everyone has shortcomings in the same way that everyone has strengths. I don't know what you mean by calling these shortcomings "diseases" though. It seems like too strong of a word to me.
    I agree though, most people think they really are something special, even in sort of a solipsist type of way, I am the life, the only life.
    But again, you say "Be intelligent, self-conscious and aware. Anyone who does not have any of these three is in some way or another close to some kind of illness." I'm just not convinced it's an illness you're describing so much as a character flaw.
    One thing I will say: I've always been confused on where we, as a people, draw the line for mental illness. In school, for example, if you have a certain condition such as ADHD, you are given extended time on tests. However, if you are just less intelligent, you aren't compensated. I am by no means saying people with ADHD are less intelligent, but I question how we decide who gets compensated for their innate flaws, or illnesses, and who doesn't. Chronic procrastinators are seen as lazy, whereas ADHDers are seen as disabled (in a small way), rather than just unattentive by their own will. It seems to come down to what is diagnosable...
    what do you think?
  • BC
    We would love to believe that we are all destined for something.Emmanuele

We are all destined for something: the grave.
  • Emmanuele

Yes, I think you're right in almost everything you said.

I guess it all comes down to our definitions and feelings as a society.
    We do not like the idea of ​​an innate failure with respect to something as important as intelligence, however, when it comes to a failure that is extremely important, we must take it into account. Down syndrome and other things like that.

With respect to individuals with ADHD and chronic procrastinators, I would say that there is probably a difference. Individuals with ADHD actually have a diminished capacity in certain areas of the brain while the procrastinator does not.

Still though, my point can cover the fact that if we go back in time about a couple of decades and the neuroscience in an ADHD person and a procrastinator would'nt exist. By this time we justify this person with ADHD as a character flaw and give as an example the capable procrastinator. This is where we're wrong and we do not acknowledge the impaired abilities on the ADHD guy - we call it a character flaw.

This could be the same thing we're doing with all the people who lack the three main pilars of a human. "Be intelligent, self-conscious and aware".
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement β€” just fascinating conversations.