• Shawn
    I am recycling the good parts from a previous thread of mine called "Aims of Education". In it, @Bitter Crank outlined the following pertinent points:

First, aid the individual in discovering what his native traits are -- the who and what I am.

Second, to apprehend the nature of 'the world' in its physical and social manifestations.

Third, to aid the individual in finding a congruent path between his nature and social expectations.

Fourth, to discover what is for him good work, and acquire the necessary skills.
    Bitter Crank

So, this pretty much nails the issue and provides a working template to work on. Therefore, the most important question of all of these is how would you go about, first; discovering what his or her native traits are? It seems that the people that are naturally gifted in any area of expertise are quite rare. Instead of focusing on giving a barrage of aptitude tests, it would be better to work with a different framework in mind. One where a trial and error approach is encouraged. One drawback to this method is that it produces inefficiency or overhead costs on the process of education. But, since we are talking about people's sum totoal of net productivity in the future, then I think the extra costs are negligible. Another issue with a trial and error approach to education under our current system is that GPA's hypernormalize and overdetermine performance, and everyone ends up either mediocre at what they do. Think of grade inflation and such.

The second point is redundant, one doesn't need to be told how to apprehend the nature of 'the world', this is done through experience and thus education should be more experiential. This is where vocational and technical schools may fill in the gap if one is not proficient in the pure studies.

The third point is tricky due to the perversion of education by the profit motive. I suppose this can be addressed through a fundamental change in how education is conducted. One solution is to broaden the scope of one's field of expertise. This can be done through encouraging or incentivizing multidisciplinary efforts between fields through government subsidies and scholarships. Another solution is relying on the individual to find happiness in their profession and not be distracted by the evil profit motive. A third solution is to encourage trial and error, through eliminating the economic costs of spending time at college, such as student debt. Finally, the last solution is to create a fallback mechanism or a checkpoint system, which discourages the hypernormalization of one's field of interest through the GPA system. Instead, people would be allowed to take most classes on a pass or fail basis. I'm not sure if this method should be applied to all classes or only the most theoretical classes. I suppose focusing on the theoretical classes would create a checkpoint when branching out from the main body of knowledge into increasing specialization. Therefore, one would be able to conduct a trial and error approach to the most specialized fields and find their way into something they are good at.

The fourth point is seemingly redundant if any of the previous points is successful. Essentially, the first point is the most pertinent to address before one arrives at any of the subsequent points. Learning "necessary skills" is the job of vocational and technical schools, so one always has that fallback option to lean on.

What are your thoughts about this?
  • Shawn
    Now, with the theoretical points I mentioned, outlined. I think, that the most promising recent development in education is the emergence of MOOC or online classes. This significantly lowers costs, which are already negligible in the grand scheme of things; but, nevertheless a sore thumb in implementing a trial and error approach to having a pass or no pass system of classes. The MOOC system lowers the burden of having to pay for housing, food, and teacher costs. In general, it's more accommodating to the student and teacher and whatever lifestyle they lead. There are drawbacks to online education; but, I don't want to focus on them at this moment. They are comparable to community colleges in how they conduct their curriculum. Indeed, there is also the point that more people can access higher education through online means.

So, I think MOOC is a positive thing for the idea of implementing this trial and error approach to education that I outlined in the OP.

Any criticisms or feedback appreciated.
  • Shawn
    What does anyone else think about how education should look like or care to criticize my own conception of how it should look like?
  • Sir2u
    Education, unfortunately, is rarely at the students.
    It is usually about preparing enough people to make sure that society continues to run and if possible improve. It is about preparing people to run the businesses and keep the economy rolling. It is also about sorting out the people that will get the C.E.O jobs from those that will go to work in Walmart stores.

Bitter Crank's view is somewhat idealistic, but definitely how things should be. If Bitter Crank's first proposition was done properly everyone would find their way through life much easier.
    If the second was done then most of the universities would have to close down. Have you checked out how many people never practice their profession?
    The third proposal should actually be #4, would make sure that the right people were doing the right job, because that is what they were supposed to do.
    The forth which should be #3 would make sure that his natural skills are developed to serve in the place in society he wants to fill.

Cost could be cut all over the higher education system by making sure that the students that are training for the jobs are really the people that should be training for them.
  • Clark Callander
    I'm in high school right now, and I can tell you that almost none of my peers know what they want to do for a living - including me. I feel like I generally know what my native traits are, but I don't have enough life experience to know what "good work" is. I mean I don't know what I would find enjoyable as a job. And this is pressing because I feel a lot of stress to choose the right career path. It's difficult for me to see myself doing any one career for 40-50 years.
    Frankly, I can't think of anything education can do for me in this respect. Kids will have to work a job outside of school, as most do, to at-all gauge what it's like to have a career. But in my - again very limited - experience of working, I don't feel I'm much closer to knowing what I want to be.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: I know what I'm good at, and I have the ambition to do what I want; I just, despite this, don't know what it is I want.
    Personally, I think what my peers and I need to make a decent career choice is more life experience, and I just don't know if public schools can offer that.
  • Shawn
    If Bitter Crank's first proposition was done properly everyone would find their way through life much easier.Sir2u

Then what do you think is the best way to address this? It is the most important point; but, I'm at a loss as to how to implement or even devise it.

If the second was done then most of the universities would have to close down. Have you checked out how many people never practice their profession?Sir2u

What do you mean? I don't understand what you mean by most universities would close down?
  • Shawn

I hear you. I've been through that phase is life. But, eventually, some theme in education is arrived at. One tends to learn from the experience, and eventually find some profession they might be good at. I hope you the best in your search for what might best suit you. It isn't told enough to students and not enough effort is put in to guide students at what they might be good at in the future.
  • Sir2u
    Then what do you think is the best way to address this? It is the most important point; but, I'm at a loss as to how to implement or even devise it.Wallows

This is supposed to be done at an early age, the best place to start would be preschool. There are several pilot projects being tested around the world. I seem to remember reading about one in, I think, Sweden. where they had lots of outdoor activities, even trees to climb, and the kids were allowed to develop their problem solving and social skills while they played. They are challenged to get things done and they develop their motor skills while learning to count, identify shapes and identify things in their environment.
    They learn by themselves what they are good at and what they need help with. They also seem to get an idea of how they learn best the different activities, either being shown or finding out for themselves, by listening to instructions before or as they do the activities, by imitating someone else doing it or watching several others to see which is best for them. They get an opportunity to interact with others to accomplish the tasks and by doing so they learn that not all of them are equally adept at everything.

This would be the best way for kids to start primary school, but the methodology would have to continue. Throughout grades 1 to 12 most kids sit at a desk and do the exact same thing everyone else in the class is doing, most kids just follow the instructions from the teacher and the ones that do try to do things differently are often considered as disruptive elements.

What do you mean? I don't understand what you mean by most universities would close down?Wallows

The governments in a lot of countries seem to think that doing to college/university is a necessity. Lots of parents want their kids to go to one. But how many people actually use the education they get? If I remember correctly in the UK about half of the graduates do not practice their profession. What do you think would happen if the schools turned out kids that were intelligent enough to figure ways to earn money without a degree? What would happen if the kids actually figured out that after a few years of suffering in college they would end up working in a burger joint anyway?

They educational system now turns out to many people that are not suited to the profession they picked and most of the time it is not their fault.
  • TheMadFool
    Education is necessary but not sufficient.

Necessary because without it we couldn't make sense of the world we live in.

Not sufficient because it by itself doesn't make a person whole. Something is missing in education.

Modern education is about finding jobs and not about making a person worthy of ''sapiens'' in homo sapiens.

I wonder if it was always like that. Pray tell.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.