• RegularGuy
    I have a question for the intelligent people on this forum who also have a mental illness diagnosis. I’ve been told that someone as logical and seemingly intelligent as me (not that I claim to be either) couldn’t possibly be mentally ill. I don’t have a cognitive disability, nor have I been diagnosed as mentally retarded. Do you find that people often confuse mental illness for cognitive disability?
  • Shawn
    I’ve been told that someone as logical and seemingly intelligent as me (not that I claim to be either) couldn’t possibly be mentally ill.Noah Te Stroete

Depends. On average I'm pretty normal. Nobody is psychotic 24/7 all year round. If you think that some people are like that then you may have seen too many Batman movies with Heath Leger playing the Joker, in it.

I don’t have a cognitive disability, nor have I been diagnosed as mentally retarded. Do you find that people often confuse mental illness for cognitive disability?Noah Te Stroete

I don't know. What's the difference between a cognitive disability and a mental illness. Both can be classified as disabilities...
  • RegularGuy
    Basically, I am able to think logically about abstractions. However, when it comes to the personal and interpersonal, I am told I have false beliefs and make faulty inferences. So, I have been told that I am mentally ill, but I have never been told that I have mental retardation.
  • Shawn

Yeah, there's a fine line between sanity and insanity. Most people who know they have an illness ( it can be even a common cold ) take precautions to ensure their sanity. I find in my case I used to and still do to some extent, obsess over my illness. But, after a while you learn to cope with it in various ways.

I don't know what to say about mental retardation and mental illness. It can be a little ambiguous between the two at times, depending on your me talk state.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.