• deletedmemberwy
    Anyone ever hear songs that have words that aren't what they actually are?
    For example, when I hear Winter Wonder Land, I always hear Possum Brown instead of Parson Brown...
    What are some of your funny songs that have been misheard?
  • Nils Loc
    This is a problem with unofficially published lyrics online. People write down what they hear and as a result I often look for more than two versions to compare. The two-facedness (or multivariablity) of word choice in song is interesting. We end up choosing the one's we like or hear.

There is a part in Health's album Death Magic: Drugs Exist (track) which reads:

"The dead will call us home."

vs. (what I saw posted as lyrics)

"The dirt will call us home."

Dead is likely intended based on theme but the substitution of dirt would make sense for someone who doesn't believe in an afterlife. The dead decay back into soil (dirt). It adds extra effect to the poem accidentally.
  • DiegoT
    In The Police´s Message in bottle, I hear "Messi chino pato" Messi ordered Cantonese duck? Messi chino pato...Messi chino pato... In Sade´s "Smooth operator" a Spaniard distinctly hears: "ella es una porrera...es una porrera!" (she´s a pot smoker), and later in the song: "costo, costo, into Chicago..." (hash in Chicago)
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    I remember singing a song in my Mom's brand new Ford Fairmount that she bought for herself, with her own money, a HUGE undertaking for a single Mom of two. The song was "Cherish You" but all I heard and all I sang was "Cherry Shoe"!
    You know...those almost black cherries that they keep behind the bar in an Italian home? OMG :heart:
  • Nickel
    An old work colleagues friends mother, from Ziggy Stardust:
    ..."Making love with his Eagle" (not ego)
    Another Police one, "So Lonely" becoming "Sue Lawley".
  • deletedmemberwy
    haha, I forgot I started this thread.
  • Sir2u
    "looking better baby at half past two" instead of "Some things looking better, baby just passing through"

Elton John Lyrics
    "Sacrifice"

Hearing probably influenced by early escapades and all night parties. My version just seemed truer.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.