• Pierre-Normand
    So we are responsible for our character? What is character? I know the traditional sense, but what does it mean philosophically?Noah Te Stroete

I am using the term in a sense that's intended to closely match the ordinary use, but I can make it a bit more explicit, or philosophical, thus: The (rational and/or moral) character of a person is the set of her dispositions, habits and intellectual skills, which account for her ability to make (rationally and/or morally) good practical choices. You are thus responsible for your own character inasmuch as it has been molded by your own past efforts and decisions, and it is also currently being maintained or reshaped by your present ongoing efforts and decisions.
  • RegularGuy
    How does one who wants a better character but who feels stuck in place go about getting one?
  • Pierre-Normand
    How does one who wants a better character but who feels stuck in place go about getting one?Noah Te Stroete

I think Aristotle's recommendation would be to try an emulate who appear to you to be wise people and take up good habits, which may be harder at first, but becomes easier over time as virtue (good character) and phronesis (practical wisdom) grow hand in hand.
  • RegularGuy
    I have an ideal in mind, but I doubt it reflects many others’ ideals.
  • Pierre-Normand
    I have an ideal in mind, but I doubt it reflects many others’ ideals.Noah Te Stroete

It's good that people don't all agree on what's best (or ideal). But there is some truth to the aphorism that the best is the enemy of the good. If someone feels stuck into a character that is bad in some respect (such as having a smoking habit) then it is usually clear enough to that person in which direction her character might be improved (in the direction of kicking out this particular habit, say). This is true even if not everyone agrees that smoking is bad.
  • RegularGuy
    Well, I quit smoking by starting vaping. I understand that the second-hand vapor is harmless, but it would be best if I didn’t need nicotine at all. There are other attributes I would like to have, though. They seem more difficult. Vaping made giving up cigarettes easy. I can’t stand the smell of cigarette smoke now. Being more active is difficult being on antipsychotics, mood stabilizers, and antidepressants.
  • Pierre-Normand
    Well, I quit smoking by starting vaping. I understand that the second-hand vapor is harmless, but it would be best if I didn’t need nicotine at all. There are other attributes I would like to have, though. They seem more difficult. Vaping made giving up cigarettes easy. I can’t stand the smell of cigarette smoke now. Being more active is difficult being on antipsychotics, mood stabilizers, and antidepressants.Noah Te Stroete

So, we can agree that someone may be smoking because (in a causal sense of 'because') of some feature of her character (viz. her smoking habit) and, nevertheless, this person isn't powerless to quit smoking. She may or may not quit, and will reasonably be held (and hold herself) responsible for the decision.
  • RegularGuy
    Maybe. I still don’t know.
  • Pierre-Normand
    Maybe. I still don’t know.Noah Te Stroete

Just to be clear, I never intended to suggest that your taking your medications constitutes a habit that you ought to kick. The opposite may very well be true. I am only arguing that habits in general (and other features of character) aren't things that we are powerlessly straddled with.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.