Me thinks we see eye to eye. :eyes: :victory: :eyes:
  • A Seagull
    "
    Wouldn’t philosophy be dull if it was just science."

Not if one prefers truth to fantasy.
  • Nils Loc
    Edit: deleted unnecessary Guru parody
  • sign

I'm liking it. It's great sharing in something beautiful. If I had to pick a fundamental philosophical motive, I'd say it's a journey toward sharing something beautiful, a ideal sociality.
  • sign
    If we're talking the talk because it's fun, and we know that's what we're doing, I have no complaints. To the degree I have a complaint, it is with the illusion that the talking will lead to anything other than more talking.Jake

Thanks for your reply. I like this. We can think of someone embracing there not being some hidden outside and just learning to enjoy the play of a search for better as opposed to final talk.

I'm not opposed to seeking, just trying to make such efforts more realistic. If we are seeking to be a bit saner, sounds good to me. If we are seeking for some permanent perfect solution, sounds like a self delusional becoming trip. And I'm not even against that, but, you know, this is a philosophy forum, so...Jake

I think we are more or less on the same page. To me this is something like a death wish concealed in the quest for a perfect, permanent solution. Life is dynamic, on-the-way, imperfect, vulnerable. It makes sense that life seeks stability (a happy household, routines, etc.), but there is a kind of morbid 'infinite' version of this that can lead to a kind of torment. I guess I read it in terms of self-obsession that is closed off to the beauty and fascination of the world, especially in other people. To be in love with life is just not to have certain problems (and yet to still have others.)
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.