• Banno
    Euclidea

This sort of geometric reasoning is out of favour. It does not appear in modern curricula. But I think it is brilliant. There is so much exquisite beauty in the patterns of lines and circles.

Thoughts?
  • Banno
    I have found this game quite addictive. Has anyone else tried it?

The answers are somewhere between cogitation and intuition.
  • unenlightened
    Looks like fun, but it's bedtime right now.
  • Banno
    Playing with this again, I'm stuck at 7.1

I know I've solved it before, but can't see it now.

Construct a square whose area equals the sum of the areas of the two given squares and all three have the common angle.
  • TheMadFool
    If anyone's interested in just tinkering around with geometry try Geogebra. It's a free app and comes complete with lessons in geometry (on the website).
  • Benkei
    I got stuck regularly in this game and never finished it. I did complete that one about 2 years ago and just started it again and I'm stuck in level 2. :cry: BTW, from the same makers xsection! Which I did finish and I'm sure you will like.

I'll have a look if I accidentally remember how 7.1 goes.
  • TheMadFool
    Playing with this againBanno

All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy. All play and no work makes Jack a grasshopper.
  • Banno
    The hypotenuse has to be the length of the sum of the two sides, but I can't see how to construct it.
  • Banno
    AH, I did it, but in an inelegant way. No L or E goal.
  • TheMadFool
    Side length of first square = x
    Side length of second square = y
    Side length of third square = z

x² + y² = z²

3² + 4² = 5²
  • Banno
    Yep. So construct a right triangle with sides equal to the tow squares; then the hypotenuse is the length of the desired square.
  • Benkei
    Are you getting all the stars? I only got all the stars for beta and never got beyond theta level 1.
  • TheMadFool
    Yep. So construct a right triangle with sides equal to the tow squares; then the hypotenuse is the length of the desired square.Banno

Pythagoras' theorem. :up:
  • Banno
    Nuh. I'm focusing on getting through them all, but go back to get more starts as well. I've got all stars up to β7, and a few beyond that. I find the E hard to get.
  • Benkei
    I just started again. Already stuck at 1.5. Can't understand how I ever got to theta! :sweat:
  • Banno
    Spoilers?
  • Jack Cummins

I didn't enjoy maths as a child but I do remember finding the idea of Pythagoras' s hypothenuse triangle to be very exciting. I also do like the geometry of circles and lines too, but somehow got on so much better in exploring them in art, rather than in geometry lessons.
  • Benkei
    Not for me thanks. I remember that if you don't really understand why a solution works you'll get stuck again at a later point. So if someone explains it, I tend to not really understand why unless I figure it out for myself.
  • Banno
    Try it out - see how you go.
  • TheMadFool
    I didn't enjoy maths as a child but I do remember finding the idea of Pythagoras' s hypothenuse triangle to be very exciting. I also do like the geometry of circles and lines too, but somehow got on so much better in exploring them in art, rather than in geometry lessons.Jack Cummins

Art & Math go a long way back I believe: Proportio Divina.

Jack = 4 letters
    Cummins = 7 letters

7/phi = 4.326 = 4

(7 + 4)/phi = 11/phi = 6.799 = 7

The gloves didn't fit O. J. Simpson!
  • Banno
    I'm stuck on 8.1

Anyone?
  • Benkei
    Take the base line, extend it to the left with the length of the diagonal, extend it to the right with the vertical length, divide that total length by 2 and you have your point.
  • Benkei
    Meanwhile, still stuck on 1.5 :rofl:
  • Banno
    Oh, bugger. Half the total length, of course. Simple when you see it.

Solution to 1.5
    Reveal
    Bisect the diagonal from bottom left to top right. intersection with top and base gives your points.
  • Benkei
    Yeah, I have that solution in my history but I no longer understand why this gives me the correct points. If I ignore 1.5 for now I can solve at least until 2.5 and ongoing.
  • Benkei
    2.7 with only 1 line is fun. I had to think about that again.
  • Benkei
    @Banno any hints for 4.11?
  • Banno
    My delta goes to 10??
  • Benkei
    double checked but it really is 4.11. Maybe you need a certain amount of stars.? I have 24 in delta.
  • Banno
    I'm using the web site - are you on the app?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.