• RegularGuy
    I have a number of stalkers in my life, and I find a recurring theme with them is that philosophy is bullsh*t. I don't hear any reasons from them backing up this claim; but as someone said in another thread about a particular problem of philosophy: "So what?" Do you find that people in your lives call philosophy "bullsh*t"? And if so, then what are we doing it for? Is it just a fun distraction? What are your purposes for philosophizing?
  • Sam26
    Everyone has a world view whether they recognize it or not, so in that sense everyone has a philosophy of life. If this is true, and it is, then maybe all beliefs are bullshit, even the belief that beliefs are bullshit.
  • RegularGuy
    To the moderators/administrators:

This thread belongs under "General Philosophy". Harry G. Frankfurt wrote a book entitled "On Bullshit", and this OP deals with the biggest "problem" of philosophy of all.
  • BC
    First, it's not "bullsh*t"; it's "bullshit". If you wish to use a vulgarity, then use it boldly. "bullsh*t" is bullshit.

"Bullshit" means "stupid or untrue talk or writing; nonsense; talk nonsense to (someone), typically to be misleading or deceptive". While "bull" and "shit" are ancient Old Norse and Anglo-Saxon words, combining the two words occurred to no one until the early 20th century. Scholars are deeply divided over the question of whether horseshit is better than, about the same as, or worse than bullshit.

So, is philosophy nothing but bullshit, or worse, horseshit? One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit. Everyone knows this. Each of us contributes his share. But we tend to take the situation for granted. People think that everyone is equally capable of generating fine bullshit. This is manifestly not true. Most people can generate the lower grades of bullshit (like undifferentiated drivel) but only a few, we band of inspired brothers, are capable of fielding truly fine bullshit (VSOP)--the sort of bullshit that people prefer.

By its nature philosophy--speculation about reality--will at least resemble fine bullshit. Being at least and at best one step removed from whatever reality is lends that note of nebulosity to philosophy which is also a feature of fine bullshit. What makes bullshit fly? Certitude. Unadulterated fine bullshit stated forthrightly, confidently, and enthusiastically launches, and if conditions are right, can enter a geostationary orbit.

Chickenshit does not fly. Pigshit does not fly. Horseshit doesn't need to fly. Only fine bullshit flies.
  • RegularGuy

Excellent analysis of bullshit. That was some fine bullshit on bullshit.
  • BC
    Thank you. I am honored.
  • BC
    Frankfurt's On Bullshit looks more promising than Aaron James' Assholes: A Theory, and perhaps less certain than Asshole Nation: Trump and the Rise of Scum America by Scott McMurrey.

Should enquiring minds want to know here is a PDF to Frankfurt's On Bullshit.

"Our natures are, indeed, elusively insubstantial — notoriously less stable and less inherent than the natures of other things. And insofar as this is the case, sincerity itself is bullshit." Harry Frankfurt
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.