• Eli Rotello
    Friends,

Recently, we have had authorities in our country, passing of laws promoting Religious Liberty. We have even had calls from our authorities to purpose intellectual defenses of this, to me, seemingly inescapable realty of free will and authority.

The way I see it, is as follows: if you promote Religious liberty, you have it, if you don't permit it, you have it again. If you do not like it, you have it, and if you do like it, you have again there too. If you don't want it you have it, if you do want it, you can take as much as you want. Within the Catholic Church, it is in the Second Vatican Council, and in the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It seems to me that if we agree that we are free agents with free will in any way whatsoever, Religious Liberty is philisophically necessary, and it can't be escaped from, even with the soundest most perfect logic, because even then, it would be Religious Liberty. Thank you.

Thoughts?
  • I like sushi
    All humans are free to practice/act out any belief they wish to. Liberty doesn’t mean “do what you want without suffering the consequences.”

The issue I see over and over is that MANY take “freedom” to mean they don’t have to suffer the consequences of their actions. A satanist may believe in human sacrifice and I may argue against this, but maybe I cannot change their beliefs. They cannot then go out and kill people and then complain about any societal consequences of their actions regardless of how “correct” they personally perceive them to be.

Religion, as well as other social identities, will always be used to skew political power where and when it can. If it isn’t “religion” it’ll be something else; some sociopolitical leaning or some doctrine, manifesto, etc.,.

The main problem humans seem to have (imo) is understanding that “freedom” is not pretty. Orwell’s “War is Peace, Peace is War” and “Freedom is Slavery, Slavery is Freedom.” has a very, very strong and scary message behind it - that being what people say they want often turns out to be the exact opposite of what they mean. The greater the Freedom the greater the Responsibility; you’ll be surprised how easy it is to shed some of your freedom simply because you fear taking on responsibility.

All freedom is fought for and won. Nothing comes for free even if the price paid is not felt immediately. That’s the reality and often it is one that those shouting from the rooftops about “Liberty” often neglect at their own, and others, peril.

Fear those who demand “freedom” and “rights,” and help those who willingly and actively work to earn them with pride and resolve rather than battle cries and hysteria.

The world is so unbelievably exciting at the moment who knows what the next decades (years) hold in store for us :)
  • deletedmemberwy
    Anyone may have thoughts that are not in accordance with the governing state, and not have religious liberty. As stated, you seem to be pressing two ideas together.

Religious liberty is the ability to practice a religion as the individual sees fit, as long as it does generally not defy major laws, such as murder. Not everyone can do so in all countries.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.