• Deleted User
    Reality as the limitations of our empirical knowledge:

I am relatively an empiricist as far as philosophy goes. I find it to be the most fruitful perspective to approach logicizing reality from.

If I look at how I see a tree and a chair, and know they are made of wood, I can understand empiricism. I need to first make sure that I am not calling a chair a tree and vice versa by having appropriate names within the association context of the comprehended communication. Then we can see that the (here in this example) universal of wood is a pure abstraction, functioning in contrast to the changing perception of the properties of the sensory bodies (including one's own body), leading to the self-conscious I of the mind in thought. So we end up with some version of causality here, and the vague mind body ontological duality problem.

The point to stress in this outline of what we can know is that the empirically (or even intuitionistically known eg mathematics) known universal/pure abstraction that cannot be visualized is ever-present (in chair, tree, *&* wood; number, particle, "I"), alongside the perception of particulars (a number, an atom, the body). They all appear and exist in reality together, inseparably for this system of knowledge to function. This is why I say I am basically an empiricist looking at an unknowable in-itself reality. When we communicate, we get put into these empiricist boxes, but when we perceive subjectively we do not. So perhaps what is there can be described as more like the unity of emptiness and form.
  • Terrapin Station
    Reality as the limitations of our empirical knowledge:Nasir Shuja

I have issues with every sentence basically, so start at the first one. Why would we think of reality as in any way hinging on knowledge?
  • Deleted User
    The first few lines are just a description or summary of the latter stuff. I would start at the example. I don't intend to start off with knowledge being assumed. I'm just looking at experience, the basic starting point, in the example. I'm trying to describe what I see going on, and yes I commit to some form of knowledge, but my reasons for this should be clear no?
  • Terrapin Station
    That doesn't actually do anything besides ignore the question. Anyway, re "the example," do you mean this?
    I need to first make sure that I am not calling a chair a tree and vice versa by having appropriate names within the association context of the comprehended communication.Nasir Shuja

"The association context of the comprehended communication" isn't very clear.I

And why are we all of a sudden talking about communication there, anyway?
  • Deleted User
    Ok cool. So what I mean is similar to what I think (was it? I don't remember) frege wrote and Aristotle said about homonomy and synonomy. I can look at a tree and call it a tree and you might agree to call what you see a tree, but have something very different in perception. Similarly, I can call something a different name than you do but not realize (on both sides) that we are talking about the same thing. As you can see, these situations would come up often when talking about "spirituality." But it happens here and there elsewhere, for example in obstruse philosophy, in proper names, And in scientific nomenclature. Anyways it's just a general point because it is one of the first things I notice happening that can be a mishap when trying to communicate. I bring up communication because language is core to our experience of our reality.
  • Terrapin Station
    . I can look at a tree and call it a tree and you might agree to call what you see a tree, but have something very different in perception. Similarly, I can call something a different name than you do but not realize (on both sides) that we are talking about the same thing. As you can see, these situations would come up often when talking about "spirituality."Nasir Shuja

I basically agree with all of that, but it doesn't seem to really connect to anything else.
  • Deleted User
    Well I see association as being important because it allows 1:1 reference to the particular with the universal.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment