• SteveKlinko
    I have always more or less been on a quest to understand the Universe. I decided to start with understanding the more fundamental aspects of the Universe and then build on that understanding to understand more complicated things. But the question came up as to what was the most fundamental thing in the Universe. Elementary Particle Physics seemed to be a good place to start. What could be more fundamental than Electrons, Protons, and Neutrons? Well you quickly find out that Elementary Particles are just made out of Energy. So Energy seemed to be the thing to start with. Eventually I learned that Energy can arise out of Space itself. So what does this mean about our concept of Space? It would seem that Energy might be made out of Space. So then the regression back to find the most fundamental thing ended up with trying to understanding Space, which of course is Nothing. How do you study Nothing?

Eventually I realized that Space was not really Nothing it was Something. Since Space is Something it could exist or not exist. The common notion that Space is an ever existent background Thing that extends out infinitely in three directions could be wrong. There could be different kinds of Spaces besides our 3D Space. There could be a 4D Space. There could be no Space. The possibility of no Space is almost impossible to grasp by the 3D human brain.

I thought that if I could show that 4D Space is a workable reality for a Universe , then I would be able to convince myself that Space is a Thing just as Energy and Matter are Things. The concept of Nothing then becomes a concept of Absolute Nothing where there is no Matter, Energy, or Space.

To understand 4D Space I thought I should try to experience what it would be like to be a 4D Conscious being living in and moving around in a 4D World. See Exploring the 4th Dimension Using Animations at:

http://www.theintermind.com/ExploringThe4thDimensionUsingAnimations/ExploringThe4thDimensionUsingAnimations.asp

I generated many Animations to help me do this. I think the Animations were helpful but I still feel that I am unable to exactly experience a 4D World in the same way an actual 4D being would. The key thing that we must do is understand how a 4D being can see a 3D Hyperplane as a Flat object. Anything else you think you know is irrelevant until you understand that.

But even though I was not able to experience 4D in the way I had hoped I believe that the Animations have shown me that a 4D World is possible and therefore that our 3D Space is only one type of Space. There can be No Space if there can be 3D Space or 4D Space.

The one thing I learned from the Animations is that the reason I don't understand 4D Space is because I am too embedded in this 3D Universe. I can think about 4D Space in theory and use all the different techniques for visualizing it but my 3D brain will never let me fully understand it. I do not think anyone can. We would need a 4D Brain to do this.

To be able to see in our 3D World we have a Visual Cortex that is roughly a flat (but folded) 2D patch of a little more than 1 billion Neurons. If it were a square patch it would be about 32000 Neurons on each side. A 2D being would only need a line of these Neurons or 32000 of them. The whole 2D Brain Neuron count would be scaled down by a factor of 32000. A 2D Brain would be 32000 times less intelligent than a 3D Brain. A 4D Visual Cortex by analogy would have to be a cube of Neurons with 32000 Neurons on all sides. It would be a 3D Hyper Plane so the 4D being would view it as flat. A 4D being's Visual Cortex would have 32000 times more Neurons than a 3D being's Visual Cortex. The 4D Brain Neuron count would be scaled up by a factor of 32000 and a 4D being will probably be 32000 times more intelligent than we are.

So the conclusion we have to come to is that we, and I mean all of us 3D beings, can never know what it would be like to actually be a 4D being. We are just not smart enough. You might think you understand 4D using one of the techniques but you never really get there. You need to be able to see our 3D Space as being Flat. I think this is an important realization for Philosophy and the study of the limits of our ability to understand things.
  • leo
    I have always more or less been on a quest to understand the Universe.SteveKlinko

Same :smile:

What could be more fundamental than Electrons, Protons, and Neutrons? Well you quickly find out that Elementary Particles are just made out of Energy. So Energy seemed to be the thing to start with.SteveKlinko

The problem with energy is, it's not a tangible thing, it's a mathematical tool. It took me a long time to grasp that. Physicists like to treat energy as an entity that has the ability to cause things, but energy doesn't cause anything, it is simply a description of motion and potential to cause motion. We don't need to talk about the fuzzy concept of energy to describe the universe, we could simply talk about particles and their motion and their ability to move other particles (even though as we talked about in your thread about physicalism such particles cannot explain the emergence of conscious experience so they cannot be all there is).

When they say a photon is pure energy, they mean to say that it can't be slowed down or accelerated, but it can be seen as a particle that has the ability to cause motion.

When they talk about the famous E = m.c², what that equation says is simply that an atom that emits a photon becomes easier to put into motion by a certain quantity, but again we could describe that without referring to the concept of energy which often carries with it a lot of misconceptions.

Eventually I learned that Energy can arise out of Space itself. So what does this mean about our concept of Space?SteveKlinko

I think you may be referring here to what they call the energy of the void, of empty space, but really all that means is that what they call empty space isn't empty, there are a bunch of things in apparent empty space, a bunch of particles we don't detect easily, and again we don't have to treat energy or space as tangible substance or entities.

There could be different kinds of Spaces besides our 3D Space. There could be a 4D Space. There could be no Space. The possibility of no Space is almost impossible to grasp by the 3D human brain.SteveKlinko

I wonder if you came to the idea of a 4D space because of the theory of general relativity that makes use of a 4D space. But in fact we don't need a 4D space to make the predictions that general relativity does, we can explain observations as accurately as general relativity in a theory that makes use of a 3D space, Einstein felt simply forced to use a 4D space because of the assumptions he made which made 4D more mathematically elegant, but mathematical elegance is not conceptual simplicity.

Space is just a background, a map on which we put the particles, we can choose whatever kind of map we want, flat, elliptic, hyperbolic, all that changes is the coordinates we give to the particles, but observations won't tell us what kind of space we live in, space has no shape other than the one we give it, I'm sure we could also come up with a convoluted way to describe the whole universe in 2 dimensions, it doesn't mean there is an actual physical entity called space that is 2D or 3D or 4D, it's just a tool, and we just find it easier to describe the whole in 3D.

Many concepts in physics are treated as tangible entities while they are merely mathematical tools, concepts, this is the fallacy of reification, and it is widespread regarding the concepts of energy, mass, force, space, time, they are all just tools, not things we actually observe or interact with.

I think this is an important realization for Philosophy and the study of the limits of our ability to understand things.SteveKlinko

I wouldn't say there are limits to our ability to understand so much as limits of our ability to see, our eyes only see a small part of all that is, they only see a small part of the photons that reach them, many photons do not interact with our eyes in a detectable way but they interact with other instruments that we see with our eyes and that's how we come to believe that there are a bunch of photons we don't see, and that's just one small part of what we don't see, that we have feelings tells us that there is more than particles out there, there's more that we can't comprehend by focusing on what we see with the eyes and on all our concepts that stem from what we see with the eyes, we need to come up with other concepts that stem out of what we feel, and I feel there is a great unknown there we have barely explored.
  • DingoJones

Our biology isnt made for 4D, thats all. Will it ever be? Perhaps. We will learn more and more about our biology, and 4D. Eventually we might alter our biology to understand or sense 4D, or invent a proper interface that might get us there.
    I dont think “not smart enough” is right, that is like saying we are not smart enough to have a bats radar senses. A 4D being, whatever that might entail, could very well have no ability to imagine a 3D universe and instead forced to rely on math models the way we do for 4D. Doesnt mean its dumb, or that we are.
  • BrianW
    I've tried to read a little on 4D mechanics and I think one of the key aspects of a higher dimension is its permeability of the lower dimensions. For example, a 2D being would not be able to see the whole of a 2D model e.g. a circle, unless they went around it. And even then, they would only see the portion in front and which would still obstruct the rest. The same applies to our 3D sight when observing stuff. A common example is the horizon at the edge of any vista. Or the fact that we only see the part of solids directly reflecting light at us. It is often proposed that 4D sight would enable us to view the whole of a 3D object, permeating through its structure to perceive every angle from just one point of view without shifting. Anyway, that's just a guess.

These books seem to have a number of well thought out ideas on what 4D would mean:

http://www.astrumargenteum.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Hinton-The-Fourth-Dimension.pdf
    http://albanyqigong.com/images/a_primer_of_higher_space.pdf
  • FreeEmotion
    I have been thinking about multi dimensionality because of what I have been reading and viewing on YouTube recently, regarding unexplained phenomena.

I found it useful to think of multi dimensionality in terms of the process of how we get there: for example to move in space we need to change at least one of our coordinates and we are at a different place. The way our senses work, we get a different input into our senses, distance, for example will make things look smaller and other things look bigger. Others will sense us differently.

Now imagine a multi dimensional universe where we could change one of the coordinates of the fourth dimension. If we move far enough into the fourth dimension, we may not be able to be sensed by someone with the same 3D coordinates as us. So we disappear.

If we our able to travel within the fourth dimension?
  • DiegoT
    We have right and left, back and forward, up and down; so I think the four spatial dimension might be outwards and inwards, an eccentric and concentric motion. That way the rule of orthogonal angle with the others spatial dimensions is preserved.
    Moreover, I think the big bang and expansion of the universe is a fourth dimensional movement that we perceive "magically" as coming out of nowhere, just like flatlanders would perceive a sphere passing their bidimensional plane. I ilustrate my point with this picture, that contributes no helpful information but it´s really cool:

cuttedSpherePlaneMesh2.png
  • SteveKlinko
    What could be more fundamental than Electrons, Protons, and Neutrons? Well you quickly find out that Elementary Particles are just made out of Energy. So Energy seemed to be the thing to start with. — SteveKlinko
    The problem with energy is, it's not a tangible thing, it's a mathematical tool. It took me a long time to grasp that. Physicists like to treat energy as an entity that has the ability to cause things, but energy doesn't cause anything, it is simply a description of motion and potential to cause motion. We don't need to talk about the fuzzy concept of energy to describe the universe, we could simply talk about particles and their motion and their ability to move other particles (even though as we talked about in your thread about physicalism such particles cannot explain the emergence of conscious experience so they cannot be all there is).
    When they say a photon is pure energy, they mean to say that it can't be slowed down or accelerated, but it can be seen as a particle that has the ability to cause motion.

When they talk about the famous E = m.c², what that equation says is simply that an atom that emits a photon becomes easier to put into motion by a certain quantity, but again we could describe that without referring to the concept of energy which often carries with it a lot of misconceptions.
    leo
    When I say Energy I am referring to Electromagnetic Energy, which is not just a Mathematical Tool but is an actual thing. Energy is what Matter is made out of. At the dawn of the Universe there was only Energy and Matter formed at a later time out of the Energy.

Eventually I learned that Energy can arise out of Space itself. So what does this mean about our concept of Space? — SteveKlinko
    I think you may be referring here to what they call the energy of the void, of empty space, but really all that means is that what they call empty space isn't empty, there are a bunch of things in apparent empty space, a bunch of particles we don't detect easily, and again we don't have to treat energy or space as tangible substance or entities.
    leo
    I agree that there must be something there, but when you see how Science views this Phenomenon, they usually have no other explanation than that it came out of Empty Space.

There could be different kinds of Spaces besides our 3D Space. There could be a 4D Space. There could be no Space. The possibility of no Space is almost impossible to grasp by the 3D human brain. — SteveKlinko
    I wonder if you came to the idea of a 4D space because of the theory of general relativity that makes use of a 4D space. But in fact we don't need a 4D space to make the predictions that general relativity does, we can explain observations as accurately as general relativity in a theory that makes use of a 3D space, Einstein felt simply forced to use a 4D space because of the assumptions he made which made 4D more mathematically elegant, but mathematical elegance is not conceptual simplicity.

Space is just a background, a map on which we put the particles, we can choose whatever kind of map we want, flat, elliptic, hyperbolic, all that changes is the coordinates we give to the particles, but observations won't tell us what kind of space we live in, space has no shape other than the one we give it, I'm sure we could also come up with a convoluted way to describe the whole universe in 2 dimensions, it doesn't mean there is an actual physical entity called space that is 2D or 3D or 4D, it's just a tool, and we just find it easier to describe the whole in 3D.

Many concepts in physics are treated as tangible entities while they are merely mathematical tools, concepts, this is the fallacy of reification, and it is widespread regarding the concepts of energy, mass, force, space, time, they are all just tools, not things we actually observe or interact with.
    leo

The Space we live in is 3D. You can go up/down, left/right, and forward/backward. It is a particular kind of Space. We can conceptualize 4D Space where you can have an addition directional pair. 4D Space would be a different kind of Space than 3D Space. So I did my 4D Animations in order to explore if a 4D Space is even a workable concept to create a Material Universe in. I think I convinced myself that it was workable. But this leads us to the conclusion that Space could have been 4D instead of 3D. This is a whole different thing than 3D Space. You have more degrees of freedom to move around in a 4D Space. But the really amazing conclusion is that if you can have 3D Space or 4D Space then it would seem that Space itself is a thing that can have different basic properties. This leads to the conclusion that there could be no Space! Most Cosmologists would say there was no Space before the Big Bang. The Space and the Energy were created by the Big Bang.

I think this is an important realization for Philosophy and the study of the limits of our ability to understand things. — SteveKlinko
    I wouldn't say there are limits to our ability to understand so much as limits of our ability to see, our eyes only see a small part of all that is, they only see a small part of the photons that reach them, many photons do not interact with our eyes in a detectable way but they interact with other instruments that we see with our eyes and that's how we come to believe that there are a bunch of photons we don't see, and that's just one small part of what we don't see, that we have feelings tells us that there is more than particles out there, there's more that we can't comprehend by focusing on what we see with the eyes and on all our concepts that stem from what we see with the eyes, we need to come up with other concepts that stem out of what we feel, and I feel there is a great unknown there we have barely explored.
    leo
    But the limitation of all that is our 3D Brains. We just aren't Smart enough to Visualize, if you like, an actual 4D Space.
  • SteveKlinko
    Our biology isnt made for 4D, thats all. Will it ever be? Perhaps. We will learn more and more about our biology, and 4D. Eventually we might alter our biology to understand or sense 4D, or invent a proper interface that might get us there.
    I dont think “not smart enough” is right, that is like saying we are not smart enough to have a bats radar senses. A 4D being, whatever that might entail, could very well have no ability to imagine a 3D universe and instead forced to rely on math models the way we do for 4D. Doesnt mean its dumb, or that we are.
    DingoJones
    But a Bats Radar sense can be perfectly understood by the 3D Brain. We may not know exactly what a Bat Sees in its Mind but we do understand. The 4th dimension however is not really comprehensible by our 3D Brains. The requirement I always give is that we must understand how a 3D object could ever look Flat, as it must, in a 4D world. You will be able to see every point inside and outside a 3D object in 4D Space. The Visualization techniques of using Slices or Projections don't ever get you there.
  • SteveKlinko
    I've tried to read a little on 4D mechanics and I think one of the key aspects of a higher dimension is its permeability of the lower dimensions. For example, a 2D being would not be able to see the whole of a 2D model e.g. a circle, unless they went around it. And even then, they would only see the portion in front and which would still obstruct the rest. The same applies to our 3D sight when observing stuff. A common example is the horizon at the edge of any vista. Or the fact that we only see the part of solids directly reflecting light at us. It is often proposed that 4D sight would enable us to view the whole of a 3D object, permeating through its structure to perceive every angle from just one point of view without shifting. Anyway, that's just a guess.BrianW

I agree. We would need a 4D Brain and Retina. The Retina would be Flat like ours but would have 3 dimensions of Flatness. The problem with understanding 4D is that we cannot wrap out Minds around that requirement that 3D objects will be Flat in 4D. Actually a true 3D object could not exist in 4D because it would have Zero extension into one of the dimensions, The 3D Retina is Flat in 4D but it would not have zero thickness. It is still a 4D object. Just like our 2D Retina is Flat in 3D but does not have Zero thickness. It is still a 3D object.
  • SteveKlinko
    I have been thinking about multi dimensionality because of what I have been reading and viewing on YouTube recently, regarding unexplained phenomena.

I found it useful to think of multi dimensionality in terms of the process of how we get there: for example to move in space we need to change at least one of our coordinates and we are at a different place. The way our senses work, we get a different input into our senses, distance, for example will make things look smaller and other things look bigger. Others will sense us differently.

Now imagine a multi dimensional universe where we could change one of the coordinates of the fourth dimension. If we move far enough into the fourth dimension, we may not be able to be sensed by someone with the same 3D coordinates as us. So we disappear.

If we our able to travel within the fourth dimension?
    FreeEmotion

First of all the Universe is 3D. If the Universe was 4D you would not just unexpectedly slip out of our Slice and into another Slice on special occasions. You would know the Universe is 4D and you would be able to move Up/Down, Left/Right, Forward/Backward, and some 4th dimensional direction pair. The 4th dimension would not just appear when you want to explain Conspiracy Theory type Phenomenon.
  • SteveKlinko
    ↪SteveKlinko We have right and left, back and forward, up and down; so I think the four spatial dimension might be outwards and inwards, an eccentric and concentric motion. That way the rule of orthogonal angle with the others spatial dimensions is preserved.
    Moreover, I think the big bang and expansion of the universe is a fourth dimensional movement that we perceive "magically" as coming out of nowhere, just like flatlanders would perceive a sphere passing their bidimensional plane. I ilustrate my point with this picture, that contributes no helpful information but it´s really cool:
    DiegoT
    Yes cool picture. There will be another pair of directions, but I'm not sure what requirement you are putting on these directions by saying eccentric and concentric. I think everything we know about the Big Bang and Universe says it is 3D not 4D.
  • Metaphysician Undercover
    This leads to the conclusion that there could be no Space! Most Cosmologists would say there was no Space before the Big Bang. The Space and the Energy were created by the Big Bang.SteveKlinko

This is exactly why we need to consider the 0th dimension, a dimension with no space. When we realize that there could be a time without space we need to allow for this in our representations of the relationship between time and space. The logical procedure is to model time as the 0th dimension rather than as the 4th dimension, such that 3d spatial existence follows from time, rather than modeling time as the fourth dimension which follows from 3d spatial existence.
  • ssu
    What's so difficult in understanding matrices and linear transformations?

(Ok, they may be difficult, but still...)
  • Banno
    Poor physics is poor philosophy.
  • fdrake
    I think in n dimensions all the time. :(
  • DiegoT
    "There will be another pair of directions, but I'm not sure what requirement you are putting on these directions by saying eccentric and concentric".3d_coordinates_500x280.jpg?itok=oYCnHLyB

My mathematical understanding of reality is very poor. But I have read that spatial dimensions (the way we experience them anyway, that is, the way we make sense of our interaction with the underlying informational process) are such that the second dimension spreads orthogonally in relation to the first, and the third is projected perpendicularly, intersecting at right angles with the first and the second dimensions. This makes me think that a fourth spatial dimension has to interact (or be experienced as) a movement towards the centre or separating from the centre, in our 3D mindset. This would be noticed in our 3D world as objects that come from nowhere and go to nowhere, changing size and intensity of interaction with our plane along the way. The fact that we don´t get to see these anomalies very often, might be just the consequence of being too small to notice such events; we would only detect them considering huge spans of spacetime, like the ones studied in Cosmology.

I was hoping that you guys will tell me if this intuition is false or makes some sense, as I don´t have the mathematical tools to examine it. In my mind it feels right, but mixing coffee and beer also feels right in my mind.
  • SteveKlinko
    This leads to the conclusion that there could be no Space! Most Cosmologists would say there was no Space before the Big Bang. The Space and the Energy were created by the Big Bang. — SteveKlinko
    This is exactly why we need to consider the 0th dimension, a dimension with no space. When we realize that there could be a time without space we need to allow for this in our representations of the relationship between time and space. The logical procedure is to model time as the 0th dimension rather than as the 4th dimension, such that 3d spatial existence follows from time, rather than modeling time as the fourth dimension which follows from 3d spatial existence.
    Metaphysician Undercover

I agree. They should have let Time be the 0th dimension.
  • SteveKlinko
    My mathematical understanding of reality is very poor. But I have read that spatial dimensions (the way we experience them anyway, that is, the way we make sense of our interaction with the underlying informational process) are such that the second dimension spreads orthogonally in relation to the first, and the third is projected perpendicularly, intersecting at right angles with the first and the second dimensions. This makes me think that a fourth spatial dimension has to interact (or be experienced as) a movement towards the centre or separating from the centre, in our 3D mindset. This would be noticed in our 3D world as objects that come from nowhere and go to nowhere, changing size and intensity of interaction with our plane along the way. The fact that we don´t get to see these anomalies very often, might be just the consequence of being too small to notice such events; we would only detect them considering huge spans of spacetime, like the ones studied in Cosmology.

I was hoping that you guys will tell me if this intuition is false or makes some sense, as I don´t have the mathematical tools to examine it. In my mind it feels right, but mixing coffee and beer also feels right in my mind.
    DiegoT

To extend into a 4th dimension you should use the same logic that gets you from the 2nd dimension to the 3rd dimension. You will have to find a direction that is perpendicular to the three axes that you have drawn for 3D. It boggles the Mind to do this. We can only theoretically and mathematically do this. The 3D Brain cannot Visualize this. We would need a 4D Brain.
  • SteveKlinko
    The usual representation of the Tesseract is a self eating monstrosity, folding in on itself as it rotates. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesseract . There is no empty space inside the box with the model and the sides are shown as 3D objects that have thickness. I hate to say it but the Tesseract is a simple empty box in 4D. It has 8 sides each of which is Flat. I repeat, the sides are Flat to the 4Der. That example they always show does not show the Flatness of the sides. That model is an aberration that tries to show the connectivity of the sides at the expense of any kind of real representation of the Tesseract. The real failing of the 3D Mind is that it cannot visualize a 3D object as being Flat. When you can visualize a 3D hyper plane as Flat then you will understand how a 4Der sees a Tesseract. A 4Der would think the Tesseract is the simplest thing. The fact that our 3D Minds have to go through such conniptions just to even conceptualize the thing shows how retarded the 3D Mind actually is.
  • Terrapin Station
    There's a much easier answer: "Humans will never understand =>4D space because there is no such thing. It's just something we can construct theoretically based on the way we've developed the language of mathematics. It's basically a "language game" we can play.
  • SteveKlinko
    There's a much easier answer: "Humans will never understand =>4D space because there is no such thing. It's just something we can construct theoretically based on the way we've developed the language of mathematics. It's basically a "language game" we can play.Terrapin Station

It's not just a language game. Cosmologists have speculated that based on the Physics before the Big Bang that Space could have been 4D or other dimensions. We have 3D so that's what we are Evolved to live in. Do you understand that before the Big Bang there was no Space? The Universe as well as Space came out of the Big Bang. Space is a Thing. The Big Bang did not explode into some ever present and forever existent Concept that we think of as Space in the Universe. The Big Bang created the Space that we live in. There was a time when there was no 3D Space. Space can be 3D or 4D or etc., and these are all very different Things. So then with this background the question arises as to what would it be like to be a 4D being in a 4D Universe.
  • Terrapin Station

It is just a language game in my view.

It's not that I'm unfamiliar with the conventional views. I think they're wrong, and they're sometimes incoherent. They stem from reifying the language games we play with mathematics, mathematics being a language on my view.
  • leo
    When I say Energy I am referring to Electromagnetic Energy, which is not just a Mathematical Tool but is an actual thing. Energy is what Matter is made out of. At the dawn of the Universe there was only Energy and Matter formed at a later time out of the Energy.SteveKlinko

What happened at the dawn of the universe is based on a bunch of untestable assumptions. Electromagnetic energy is a tool in the sense that we don't see it, we create the concept to describe what we do see. Observations lead us to imagine that there are small things that travel at the speed of light which can have an observable impact on what we see, it doesn't explain anything to call these things 'energy', energy is just a concept. Matter is a concept too. It doesn't mean much to say that matter is made of energy, all it says is that what used to be described by the concept of matter can be described by the concept of energy. Don't take the words of physicists as gospel, many of them are unfortunately poor philosophers and they use many words in an inconsistent way.

I agree that there must be something there, but when you see how Science views this Phenomenon, they usually have no other explanation than that it came out of Empty Space.SteveKlinko

They call it empty space because they used to believe it was empty, but observations have come to show that it's not, it seemed empty because we didn't see anything in it but it is now clear it isn't empty, it is unfortunate that physicists keep calling it empty space and create misconceptions in the minds of people who want to understand the universe.

The Space we live in is 3D. You can go up/down, left/right, and forward/backward. It is a particular kind of Space.SteveKlinko

I don't agree with that, I think up/down left/right forward/backward is just how we are used to interpret what we experience, but you could also describe what you experience without a notion of forward/backward, you would see the universe in a very different way, you would come up with different explanations for phenomena, but you could still do it in a consistent way. We choose to interpret what we experience by giving 3 coordinates to things, but we could give more or less coordinates and come up with another consistent way to view the universe. 3D is just what we find the most intuitive way to view it, but we are the ones who decide how many dimensions we use to describe what we experience.

But the really amazing conclusion is that if you can have 3D Space or 4D Space then it would seem that Space itself is a thing that can have different basic properties. This leads to the conclusion that there could be no Space! Most Cosmologists would say there was no Space before the Big Bang. The Space and the Energy were created by the Big Bang.SteveKlinko

We create the concept of space. We can pick whatever as a 4th dimension, if you take what is in your memory as a 4th dimension then there you construct a 4D space. If you assume that what you don't see is in another dimension then there you construct a 4D space, you can say "at such or such 3D location there is some invisible thing that changes and which I can describe with a 4th coordinate".

Cosmologists have no idea what happened before their Big Bang. The space they talk about is the 4D spacetime of the theory of general relativity which they make use of, in that theory in some simulations with a finite universe you get at some point in the past a spacetime infinitely small and infinitely dense, their simulation doesn't go further than that so they say maybe the spacetime was created at that point, but really this isn't based on observations this is just fantasy. Don't blindly listen to what they say because what they say is based on a bunch of beliefs they don't state and are often not even aware of, when you look critically at what they say and try to find out what their claims are based on you come to realize that a lot of it is untestable and based on untestable assumptions which they never challenge, so I feel there are much more productive avenues than following their footsteps.
  • MindForged
    Physicists like to treat energy as an entity that has the ability to cause things, but energy doesn't cause anything, it is simply a description of motion and potential to cause motion. We don't need to talk about the fuzzy concept of energy to describe the universe, we could simply talk about particles and their motion and their ability to move other particlesleo

I don't really understand what you're saying here. No physics student, much less a physicist, treats energy as a tangible thing. You yourself point out the standard definition of it, the capacity to perform work.
    "particles and their motion and their ability to move other particles " just means energy (kinetic or potential) in physics.

(even though as we talked about in your thread about physicalism such particles cannot explain the emergence of conscious experience so they cannot be all there is).

I probably don't want to jump down this rabbit hole here, but I'm just going to say this sounds really disingenuous. I've never heard a physicist talk about consciousness as being explained by fundamental particles. Maybe some extreme anti-reductionist idiots in philosophy might say that, but one might as well suggest analyzing political systems with fundamental physics. One will never even begin to answer or discuss the most basic aspects of politics, so I'd be surprised if you could name any known physicist (with an actual publication record) speaking so cavalierly about that.

I don't mean to say you're dishonest or something, but this sounds like a category of opponent who doesn't exist, or barely so if it does. Maybe that "mad dog naturalist" philosopher whose name escapes me at the moment (Alex Rosenberg?) might but his epithet kinda sums up the view on him.
  • DiegoT
    I don´t understand how spacetime is considered as space and time inseparable..., but then we can talk about what happened "before the Big Bang (Space) came to be?: or to put Time as a dimension in a series of spatial dimensions, like when you put "orange juice" in a series of types of oranges?

These absurd considerations can be exposed from a mere philosophical standpoint, because they are just nonsense physicists have to say because they do not really know what time and space are. They are supposed, as scientists, to play with words like that: because it´s very helpful when you need to explore. But often we forget these statements are just language games, and we accept that time is the fourth (spatial?) dimension, and things like that which confuse us all when we take them too seriously.

For instance, when philosophers propose an eternal universe as a "solution" to creatio ex nihilo, they are falling into this reification. From a logical point of view, there is no real ontological difference between a world created out of nothing and a world that always existed, even admitting the reification of our general idea of time. Because a universe "that always existed", is also ex novo, out of nothing. Considering time, real or constructed, is only a distraction which allows us to distance ourselves an imaginary step from the fact that Reality (when considered as a whole) is there for no good reason, and necessarily exists out of Nothing in a philosophical sense; both in potential and actuality.
  • SteveKlinko
    When I say Energy I am referring to Electromagnetic Energy, which is not just a Mathematical Tool but is an actual thing. Energy is what Matter is made out of. At the dawn of the Universe there was only Energy and Matter formed at a later time out of the Energy. — SteveKlinko
    What happened at the dawn of the universe is based on a bunch of untestable assumptions. Electromagnetic energy is a tool in the sense that we don't see it, we create the concept to describe what we do see. Observations lead us to imagine that there are small things that travel at the speed of light which can have an observable impact on what we see, it doesn't explain anything to call these things 'energy', energy is just a concept. Matter is a concept too. It doesn't mean much to say that matter is made of energy, all it says is that what used to be described by the concept of matter can be described by the concept of energy. Don't take the words of physicists as gospel, many of them are unfortunately poor philosophers and they use many words in an inconsistent way.
    leo
    I specifically said that the Cosmologists make Speculations. Nobody is taking what they say as some kind of Gospel. But you have to start with some kind of Premise for any argument. it was a spectacular breakthrough and discovery when Science discovered that Matter is made out of Energy. So it means a lot to say that Matter is made out of Energy.

I agree that there must be something there, but when you see how Science views this Phenomenon, they usually have no other explanation than that it came out of Empty Space. — SteveKlinko
    They call it empty space because they used to believe it was empty, but observations have come to show that it's not, it seemed empty because we didn't see anything in it but it is now clear it isn't empty, it is unfortunate that physicists keep calling it empty space and create misconceptions in the minds of people who want to understand the universe.
    leo
    I agree, there must be something there.

The Space we live in is 3D. You can go up/down, left/right, and forward/backward. It is a particular kind of Space. — SteveKlinko
    I don't agree with that, I think up/down left/right forward/backward is just how we are used to interpret what we experience, but you could also describe what you experience without a notion of forward/backward, you would see the universe in a very different way, you would come up with different explanations for phenomena, but you could still do it in a consistent way. We choose to interpret what we experience by giving 3 coordinates to things, but we could give more or less coordinates and come up with another consistent way to view the universe. 3D is just what we find the most intuitive way to view it, but we are the ones who decide how many dimensions we use to describe what we experience.
    leo
    We are talking about Space dimensions here. There are in fact 3 dimensions of Space in our Universe and you can designate any point in this Space using 3 coordinates. Having only 2 coordinates will not let you designate all the points. Having an extra coordinate would be redundant. You only need 3. But in an actual 4D Space you would need 4 coordinates. With 4D Space you actually have another direction that you can move in. There is a whole lot more Space in 4D Space than there is in 3D Space. 3D Space is an entirely different thing than 4D Space.

But the really amazing conclusion is that if you can have 3D Space or 4D Space then it would seem that Space itself is a thing that can have different basic properties. This leads to the conclusion that there could be no Space! Most Cosmologists would say there was no Space before the Big Bang. The Space and the Energy were created by the Big Bang. — SteveKlinko
    We create the concept of space. We can pick whatever as a 4th dimension, if you take what is in your memory as a 4th dimension then there you construct a 4D space. If you assume that what you don't see is in another dimension then there you construct a 4D space, you can say "at such or such 3D location there is some invisible thing that changes and which I can describe with a 4th coordinate".
    leo
    We don't create the concept of Space. We observe that there are only 3 coordinates needed to go anywhere in our 3D Space. You don't just construct a 4D Space from our 3D Space. The discussion is about what would a 4D Space look like if the Big Bang had produced 4D instead of 3D.

Cosmologists have no idea what happened before their Big Bang. The space they talk about is the 4D spacetime of the theory of general relativity which they make use of, in that theory in some simulations with a finite universe you get at some point in the past a spacetime infinitely small and infinitely dense, their simulation doesn't go further than that so they say maybe the spacetime was created at that point, but really this isn't based on observations this is just fantasy. Don't blindly listen to what they say because what they say is based on a bunch of beliefs they don't state and are often not even aware of, when you look critically at what they say and try to find out what their claims are based on you come to realize that a lot of it is untestable and based on untestable assumptions which they never challenge, so I feel there are much more productive avenues than following their footsteps.leo
    The Cosmologists largely don't have Beliefs about these things because they fully admit they are Speculating. But you have to start somewhere. They make a best Guess about what was there before the Big Bang and then run their simulations. If the simulation seems to produce a Universe like ours then they have the right to think that their Guess could be correct. But no one is sure about anything yet.
  • SteveKlinko
    Physicists like to treat energy as an entity that has the ability to cause things, but energy doesn't cause anything, it is simply a description of motion and potential to cause motion. We don't need to talk about the fuzzy concept of energy to describe the universe, we could simply talk about particles and their motion and their ability to move other particles — leo
    I don't really understand what you're saying here. No physics student, much less a physicist, treats energy as a tangible thing. You yourself point out the standard definition of it, the capacity to perform work.
    "particles and their motion and their ability to move other particles " just means energy (kinetic or potential) in physics.

(even though as we talked about in your thread about physicalism such particles cannot explain the emergence of conscious experience so they cannot be all there is).

I probably don't want to jump down this rabbit hole here, but I'm just going to say this sounds really disingenuous. I've never heard a physicist talk about consciousness as being explained by fundamental particles. Maybe some extreme anti-reductionist idiots in philosophy might say that, but one might as well suggest analyzing political systems with fundamental physics. One will never even begin to answer or discuss the most basic aspects of politics, so I'd be surprised if you could name any known physicist (with an actual publication record) speaking so cavalierly about that.

I don't mean to say you're dishonest or something, but this sounds like a category of opponent who doesn't exist, or barely so if it does. Maybe that "mad dog naturalist" philosopher whose name escapes me at the moment (Alex Rosenberg?) might but his epithet kinda sums up the view on him.
    MindForged

The Energy that we are talking about is Electromagnetic Energy, not Kinetic and not Potential. Electromagnetic Energy is a real Phenomenon in the Physical Universe. It has Wavelength and Intensity as Properties. This Electromagnetic Energy can convert into Matter. So Matter is certainly Made out of this type of Energy. In fact since Matter is made out of this Energy we can say that there really only is Energy in the Universe.
  • SteveKlinko
    I don´t understand how spacetime is considered as space and time inseparable..., but then we can talk about what happened "before the Big Bang (Space) came to be?: or to put Time as a dimension in a series of spatial dimensions, like when you put "orange juice" in a series of types of oranges?

These absurd considerations can be exposed from a mere philosophical standpoint, because they are just nonsense physicists have to say because they do not really know what time and space are. They are supposed, as scientists, to play with words like that: because it´s very helpful when you need to explore. But often we forget these statements are just language games, and we accept that time is the fourth (spatial?) dimension, and things like that which confuse us all when we take them too seriously.

For instance, when philosophers propose an eternal universe as a "solution" to creatio ex nihilo, they are falling into this reification. From a logical point of view, there is no real ontological difference between a world created out of nothing and a world that always existed, even admitting the reification of our general idea of time. Because a universe "that always existed", is also ex novo, out of nothing. Considering time, real or constructed, is only a distraction which allows us to distance ourselves an imaginary step from the fact that Reality (when considered as a whole) is there for no good reason, and necessarily exists out of Nothing in a philosophical sense; both in potential and actuality.
    DiegoT

Real Physicists and Mathematicians don't try to say that Time is a Spatial dimension. This has been done by People trying to sell books. In the real world of Science Space-Time is given the more generalized designation of a Manifold. Most Scientists will say that they really think that the theory of Relativity proves that Time does not even really exist as a Phenomenon itself. The implication of this is that we can never go back in Time because there is nothing to go back in.
  • DiegoT
    this makes more sense, thank you. It is possible than popular science videos are a little misleading.
    Perhaps what you mean is that time is probably not a separate phenomenon, but the way we experience other basic phenomena. Because there is no doubt that time is experienced by all of us and other living forms.
  • leo
    MindForged

Have you never heard a physicist say that a ball thrown upwards decelerates because its kinetic energy is converted into potential energy, that a faster collision makes more damage than a slower one because more kinetic energy is dissipated, that a gravitational body attracts because its density of energy curves spacetime, or that particles have the ability to move other particles because they have energy? This kind of reification of energy is widespread everywhere, this treats energy as a cause rather than a description of what is observed, and leads students and curious minds to see energy as a cause and carry that misconception with them.

This kind of reification is widespread in research journals too. Many professional physicists see the concept of expanding space as a force in itself that causes galaxies to move away from each other, while there is no evidence of this, which leads them to come up with predictions inconsistent with the theory they claim to use.

I've never heard a physicist talk about consciousness as being explained by fundamental particles.MindForged

I don't know who might claim that consciousness is explained by fundamental particles, but many physicists believe that they would arrive at a "theory of everything" by uniting the four "fundamental" forces into a neat unified theory, yet such a theory would still be totally unable to account for the fact that we experience anything, feel anything, and that they don't realize. It's not that it would be very complicated to derive consciousness from such a theory, it would be demonstrably impossible, and so it couldn't be a theory of everything claiming to have found the fundamental building blocks of existence.
  • DiegoT
    what exactly is consciousness Leo, and is it the same concept as subjective experience? We know how animals and plants have their experiences, and human experience is not that different (even cockroaches feel their lives subjectively apparently). Human way of experience the world is more imaginary and less direct than in other animals, but it doesn´t demand any different laws of Physics.

Perhaps you consider consciousness from a pantheistic standpoint, where all phenomena in all scales are conscious, so far as they imply an interaction of two or more elements with their environment.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.