• Shawn
    I've been allowed graciously by @jamalrob to post about cognitive distortions in my other thread about well, cognitive distortions.

Here is a list of cognitive distortions that I want to address:

1.1 Always being right
    1.2 Blaming
    1.3 Disqualifying the positive
    1.4 Emotional reasoning
    1.5 Fallacy of change
    1.6 Fallacy of fairness
    1.7 Mental filtering
    1.8 Jumping to conclusions
    1.9 Labeling and mislabeling
    1.10 Magnification and minimization
    1.11 Overgeneralizing
    1.12 Personalizing
    1.13 Making "must" or "should" statements
    1.14 Splitting (All-or-nothing thinking, black-or-white thinking, dichotomous reasoning)
    Wikipedia

I wanted to address each one individually; but, that would make this thread useless. However, I'll ask the simple question as to which one are you guilty of think up and do you recognize it as a cognitive distortion. If so, then how do you get yourself unstuck from committing them?

Feel free to post whatever cognitive distortion you think is applicable if not listed in the above.
  • Nils Loc
    It seems like most folks are prone to these cognitive distortions in subtle ways. Such thoughts are likely exaggerated in those who have neurotic or depressive personalities.

It seems like "disqualifying the positive" would apply to me more often than it should. Being depressed all I tend to see is the negative. Life is like being stuck within the rhythms and flows of an impersonal and brutal bureaucratic slave-driving machine but I fail to have a perspective grounded in true hell (genocide, poverty, failed states and war).

Am reading J. Goldstein's explanation of the Sattipathana Sutta (foundation for mindfulness meditation). Being mindful of the mind's automaticity in regards to sensation is important to freeing ourselves from bad habits of cognitive distortions.
  • Shawn
    Such thoughts are likely exaggerated in those who have neurotic or depressive personalities.Nils Loc

Why is that so?

It seems like "disqualifying the positive" would apply to me more often than it should. Being depressed all I tend to see is the negative. Life is like being stuck within the rhythms and flows of an impersonal and brutal bureaucratic slave-driving machine but I fail to have a perspective grounded in true hell (genocide, poverty, failed states and war).Nils Loc

How can you appreciate the positive more? Can you stop disqualifying the positive?

Am reading J. Goldstein's explanation of the Sattipathana Sutta (foundation for mindfulness meditation). Being mindful of the mind's automaticity in regards to sensation is important to freeing ourselves from bad habits of cognitive distortions.Nils Loc

So, mindfulness meditation is the key, here?
  • Nils Loc
    Why is that so?Posty McPostface

There is a more severe tension (or dissonance) between expected, normal or good behavior and the behavior of someone suffering anxiety or depression and this is reflected in thought by rationalization.

How can you appreciate the positive more? Can you stop disqualifying the positive?Posty McPostface

The first step would be to stop the negative thought or be aware that it is unnecessary, then affirm all the good things in one's life as a counterpoint I guess. There is a lot of relative good in my life but when it doesn't correspond to feeling good its hard to find it worthwhile (or to do it). Feeling bad corresponds with thinking negatively in my book.

So, mindfulness meditation is the key, here?Posty McPostface

Just a practiced method for relief.
  • Shawn
    There is a more severe tension (or dissonance) between expected, normal or good behavior and the behavior of someone suffering anxiety or depression and this is reflected in thought by rationalization.Nils Loc

Yes; but, what makes the mind of a depressive more prone to cognitive distortions?
  • Nils Loc
    Yes; but, what makes the mind of a depressive more prone to cognitive distortions?Posty McPostface

Probably because feeling directs and is more crucial to thought than we think. Just a guess. Am relating this to disqualifying the positive or wallowing in the negative.
  • Terrapin Station
    How about cognitive distortion re the idea that we should be seeking approval from moderators about how we can divide up topics?
  • Shawn
    Probably because feeling directs and is more crucial to thought than we think. Just a guess. Am relating this to disqualifying the positive for wallowing in the negative.Nils Loc

Wallowing is fine. Some wallowing is healthy for the soul.
  • Shawn
    How about the cognitive distortion re the idea that we should be seeking approval from moderators about how we can divide up topics?Terrapin Station

What do you mean??
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.