• hks
    That's actually from the Tenakh originally.
  • diesynyang
    It is the implication of God's actions for allowing Free Will.NuncAmissa

^Yes, that is Indeed the problem. But let me make an affirmation of your statement, if I'm wrong about it, feel free to correct it.

Your view is "God is Unloving Because, He give us Free Will, while also asking us to Pay for The Consequence of that Free Will, the Free Will that is Given by Him. God is Unjust for giving us this curse, and unjust for making us pay for His Gift."

while My view is, "God is Loving Because, He give us Free Will, Even though He asking us for the Consequence of that Free Will, the Free Will that is Given by Him, He Himself pay that Consequence. God is Just because He, while giving us this Curse called Freedom still give us Leeway, and take the payment Himself.
  • NuncAmissa

Exactly. Thank you very much.
  • NuncAmissa

We should really just chat in a private conversation.
  • TWI

"You can't be perfectly me. I can't be perfectly you"

If every thing is God then your true identity is God, not 'me' in the sense of a separate being, there is only the 'one' so that self image is a false one.
  • Valentinus

By calling for the two commands to be seen together, I wasn't thinking primarily of whether "theism" was necessary for the love of ones neighbor to be conceivable. I was thinking of how much was being demanded of the lover, all of their heart, all of their soul, and all of their mind. In the context of being asked about Law, Jesus is usurping a conversation about what traditions to follow by demanding everything they are capable of giving. I think it would be fair to say that such a demand is unavoidably "theist."

That level of engagement makes the love of the neighbor bound up in what is being given to the Lord. The meaning of "as yourself" becomes a bit of a mystery. "ὡς σεαυτόν" doesn't mean "as much as yourself" or that your neighbor is the "same as you" The lover who is completely engaged with the loving is not in a place to make comparisons. The Delphic imperative to know thyself "γνῶθι σεαυτόν" becomes entangled with the people around you.
  • Queen Cleopatra
    "Love thy neighbor as thyself" Do we must do it or no? What do you think about it?Artie

As a christian, I think we should understand it in the broadest possible way because that is the love in question. First, it starts with free-will. We should allow other people the same capacity that is given to us for making choices and determining our own lives.
    Secondly, love is best expressed by the teachings in 1st Corinthians 13:4-7, which says,

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
  • RegularGuy
    Herg:

I think the commandment should be read as, "Do unto others as you would have done unto you (by others)," not "do to others what you do to yourself." Now, you know you shouldn't eat lots of ice cream and lie on the couch too much, but Jesus wasn't saying that if you do this, then you should wish others to do this as well. He would most likelly say, "Life is hard. It's very easy to lie on the couch and eat ice cream given the temptation to do so. Now, you wouldn't want others to judge you too harshly for this because life is really hard, so don't judge other people's souls for their sins."
  • RegularGuy
    Edit:

OOPs. posted in the wrong thread
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.