• Shawn
    Just ploughing on, and being creative especially. And being disciplined about intake of media etc. Activity over passivity, I suppose.Baden

You don't sound like the type that complains. I do it excessively. Anyway, kudos to you for getting out of your depression.
  • Hanover
    But, you've never actually felt depressed for prolonged periods of time, yes?Posty McPostface

Not like what you're describing. I have had some pretty difficult days (none your bidness) which I do believe were handled as best could be expected by an otherwise healthy person, and the pain lasted for a good little while, but it was an injury for which time healed, although I do carry with me the reminder of every blow laid upon me I suppose.. That's just not at all what you describe though, where there's this prolonged hopelessness and disengagement from society. I never gave up, never thought to quit, never stayed still. I'm not suggesting a character flaw with you for doing otherwise, but clearly our constitution is different.
  • Shawn

OK, then cheers for getting out of your slumps. I'll try and complain less if that bothers you.

I have a tendency to give up when things become difficult. Hence my streak in life of dropping out of college, or jobs.

I, however, do think it is a character deficiency on my part; but, don't know any methods at instantly becoming a better person.
  • Shawn
    Regarding the claim you made @Hanover, about me being egocentric. I don't think that's entirely true given the nature of the topic. Character deficiencies, wallowing, sadness, and such.

I think that comment was out of context.
  • Hanover
    I, however, do think it is a character deficiency on my part; but, don't know any methods at instantly becoming a better person.Posty McPostface

Instantly, as in right now, Google volunteer opportunities in your area and tomorrow you bag food for the homeless, you plant trees in parks, you shelve books at the library, you point patients in the right direction from the hospital help desk, you do whatever. Now you know how to do it. What's your next excuse for not doing it?
  • Hanover
    Regarding the claim you made Hanover, about me being egocentric. I don't think that's entirely true given the nature of the topic. Character deficiencies, wallowing, sadness, and such.

I think that comment was out of context.
    Posty McPostface

Your posts are all about you. They just are. We're not exactly talking about Kant here are we?
  • Shawn
    Instantly, as in right now, Google volunteer opportunities in your area and tomorrow you bag food for the homeless, you plant trees in parks, you shelve books at the library, you point patients in the right direction from the hospital help desk, you do whatever. Now you know how to do it. What's your next excuse for not doing it?Hanover

Depression? It's like we're talking about the same thing; but, at different spectrums here.
  • Shawn
    Your posts are all about you. They just are. We're not exactly talking about Kant here are we?Hanover

There really isn't anything that I'm bragging about here. And, again you make the mistake that all my topics are about me, when I took the time and effort at addressing every post directed at me, and by other members that are depressed.
  • Herg
    I've been posting on this forum for about 3 years and it's a cycle of depression or some other ailment. I just ate a hot dog and some chicken, so I'm feeling less depressed. :)Posty McPostface

I wasn't going to try and advise you, Posty, because I've never been clinically depressed (though my mother was, for most of her life), and so it seemed very presumptuous of me to suggest anything. But your remark about food has made me think maybe I can say something useful. Depression is an illness, and when I am ill, I notice that certain things can make me feel better. Getting enough food is very important; if you don't eat enough, whatever illness you have will make you feel much worse. Two other things come to mind: do things that in the past have made you happy, because there's a good chance they will make you happy again, or at least less unhappy; and try to spend time with people whose company makes you feel better.

I'm sorry, these are not very sophisticated ideas, but I hope they are of some use. Having watched my mother suffer for years, I know what you are going through. I hope life improves for you.
  • Shawn

Thank you. Your advice is welcome and appreciated. :)
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.