• Terrapin Station
    Violators should be confronted,macrosoft

I'm fine with that, but I don't agree with the consensus about what counts, or rather should count, as a violation.

And I think that violators, once we have a reasonable boundary of what should count as a violation, should be confronted via the legal system (so that only legally prosecuatable violations should be an issue, where there are also reasonable boundaries (there aren't at present in my view) about what is legally prosecutable), and not by what's effectively a witch-hunting mob. It should never be an issue of social pressure in my opinion, shouldn't ever be a situation where someone might lose a job because of it aside from the fact that they can't continue to work because they're being incarcerated, etc.
  • macrosoft

Well I think we agree that the self-righteous mob is not to be trusted. As far as losing a job goes, this is quite complicated. We don't have a right to be employed, and business owners do have a right to appeal to the possibly irrational attitude of the mob.

But I'm basically uninterested in the ought that comes with talk of politics, and even the quote above was in the context of giving that attitude its due (as a form of empathetic listening.)
  • Terrapin Station
    We don't have a right to be employed, and business owners do have a right to appeal to the possibly irrational attitude of the mob.macrosoft

I'd set up a very different system than that if I were king. Basically you would have a right to be employed, and businesses wouldn't hinge on direct patronage with money-for-goods-and-services exchanges.
  • macrosoft
    I'd set up a very different system than that if I were king. Basically you would have a right to be employed, and businesses wouldn't hinge on direct patronage with money-for-goods-and-services exchanges.Terrapin Station

I am open to ideas like that personally. Humans may need to try something very new in the next century. I feel especially undogmatic when it comes to politics. The polarization is a huge turn-off for me. I think that bubbles stupefy. And these are red bubbles or blue bubbles or purple bubbles. The 'truth' is often a synthesis of opposed viewpoints, or rather such a synthesis is closer to the 'truth,' which might just be an illumination of the question. Both sides tend to see what the other side refuses to see.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet