• khaled
    how is there an ethics in logic?
  • tim wood
    In the choice, not part of the logic itself, to abide within the terms of the logic.
  • khaled
    it sounds to me like you're admitting of a relativism even as far as one's choice of using logic.
  • tim wood
    What's your point?
  • khaled
    no point. It's just that you're the first to willingly admit that. I recognize it's not really significant as most people do end up adhering to logic.
  • tim wood
    Sorry, relativism won't do. Unless you're prepared to demonstrate that nothing is better - or worse - than anything else. And with respect to any relativism of logic, that 2+2=5 and 2+2=6 and 2+2= whatever you want.

You asked
    how is there an ethics in logic?khaled
    I answered that there is an ethics in logic, but that logic is not ethics, nor ethics logic.

Baking a cake isn't logic, but certainly in the steps in creating and baking a cake there is a logic; e.g., you mix and blend the ingredients and then bake them: you don't bake first and then mix.

My question:
    What's your point?tim wood
    was asking what your point was.
  • khaled
    Sorry, relativism won't do. Unless you're prepared to demonstrate that nothing is better - or worse - than anything elsetim wood

Who defines "better" and "worse"

My question:
    What's your point?
    — tim wood
    was asking what your point was.
    tim wood

I didn't have one. I'm not trying to discuss relativism in this thread unless you insist
  • tim wood
    Good. No relativism. And I'm not admitting of any.
12345Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.