• Jake
    Here's an informative documentary which focuses on where we may be going with artificial intelligence. Both links are the same film, offered on different platforms for your convenience.

Amazon Prime
    https://www.amazon.com/Do-You-Trust-This-Computer/dp/B07GD9VX5D

YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMKPU9Zg4UM

A variety of angles are explored, some of which may be familiar to us, and some may not. My take away was that it seems that we are smart enough to create AI, but not smart enough to have a choice about whether we create AI.
  • BrianW
    First, I'm pro AI. I don't think we're worried about AI, the real issue is whether we, human beings, whose intelligence is exceedingly limited can overcome those limitations in AI or whether we would imbue AI with our deficiencies. So far, the latter seems more likely. Another problem to solve, yay to having a purpose.

My take is, intelligence was never restricted to biological, physical, natural, artificial, etc, mechanisms. We've just recently discovered how intelligence can operate through machines and we're freaking out. Intelligence was always destined to go beyond the human phase of evolution, whether it's AI or something else, bring it on. Did we really think evolution would stop with us? Personally, I want to see how far we can go with AI, not hypothetically but practically. I could care less whether I'm interacting with a computer, pet or human (and I prefer my pets to most humans) as long as I'm interacting the way I want.
  • Jake
    I don't think we're worried about AI, the real issue is whether we, human beings, whose intelligence is exceedingly limited can overcome those limitations in AI or whether we would imbue AI with our deficiencies.BrianW

Good point, agreed.

My take is, intelligence was never restricted to biological, physical, natural, artificial, etc, mechanisms.BrianW

Seems reasonable.

Intelligence was always destined to go beyond the human phase of evolution, whether it's AI or something else, bring it on.BrianW

Ok then, you have been discontinued as of 4pm today, given that you are one of many redundant human processors. Any last words, final meal choices perhaps?

I could care less whether I'm interacting with a computer, pet or human (and I prefer my pets to most humans) as long as I'm interacting the way I want.BrianW

Ok, let's make this real. We would have much more control over our experience of this forum if the humans were replaced by bots that could be customized to our own personal taste. In my case, Brian would be replaced with Brianna, a 22 year old redhead who enthusiastically feels that I am the most brilliant typist she's ever seen. We'll skip the rest of the story, cause you know, it's not family friendly and so on. Another case of how inconvenient humans are!
  • BrianW
    Ok then, you have been discontinued as of 4pm today, given that you are one of many redundant human processors. Any last words, final meal choices perhaps?Jake

Ok, let's make this real. We would have much more control over our experience of this forum if the humans were replaced by bots that could be customized to our own personal taste.Jake

You jest, but there's great relief in accepting what we are. The harmony, power and freedom expressed in our ideas has, so far, mostly been only that, ideas. The truth is we are humans eternally constrained by our humanity, the good and the bad. Neither AI nor God can add or take that away from us. Human-will can never be omnipotent and human intelligence can never be omniscient, why cower in fear of death and pain when this has been our lot as humans? I'm all for exploring ways to improve ourselves and AI is just another option, nothing more nothing less. It comes with all the benefits and disasters that humans can extract. How is it any different from any other human creation?
  • Jake
    How is it any different from any other human creation?BrianW

Um, I think maybe you need to watch the video. Just sayin....
  • BrianW

I have. Love the part about 10 million google servers, no wonder they're so much better than the others. And they're aiming for 100 million, whoa! Blows my mind-socks away.

I don't know why people tend to be over dramatic in the face of possible death. It's like they haven't realised they're not going to live forever. And what part of AI implies human extinction? That's just ridiculous.
  • Jake
    Let's try to make it real.

We're here chatting philosophy with folks with no faces or real names because that's far more convenient and customizable than having to schedule a philosophy club meeting at a particular time and place etc.

Why not keep going and replace human posters with digital entities which can be further customized? Why not talk about exactly what we want to talk about with digital posters who do what we want them to do?

This is what I predict will happen on forums, and it's not that speculative given that we're already most of the way there.
  • Jake
    Here's an admittedly imperfect example of an interactive digital entity. Here you go, your chance to chat with God.

http://chatwithigod.com/igod.html
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.