• BrianW
    Is imagination logical or illogical?

Here are a look at some definitions:

=> imagination (from google)
    ɪˌmadʒɪˈneɪʃ(ə)n/Submit
    noun
    the faculty or action of forming new ideas, or images or concepts of external objects not present to the senses.
    "she'd never been blessed with a vivid imagination"
    synonyms: imaginative faculty, creative power, fancy; More

the ability of the mind to be creative or resourceful.
    "she was set in her ways and lacked imagination"
    synonyms: creativity, imaginativeness, creativeness; More

the part of the mind that imagines things.
    "a girl who existed only in my imagination"

=> imagination (from Cambridge English Dictionary - online)
    noun UK ​ /ɪˌmædʒ.ɪˈneɪ.ʃən/ US ​ /ɪˌmædʒ.əˈneɪ.ʃən/

B1 [ C or U ] the ability to form pictures in the mind:

My younger son has a very vivid (= active) imagination.
    I can never make up stories - I have absolutely no imagination.
    For some reason the story captured/caught the imagination of the public (= made them very interested).
    It couldn't by any stretch of the imagination be described as a (= it is certainly not a) beautiful city.
    There's a sex scene in the film which apparently leaves nothing to the imagination (= shows sexual parts of the body very clearly).

[ U ] something that you think exists or is true, although in fact it is not real or true:

Was she paying him a lot of attention or was it just my imagination?
    Is it my imagination or is David behaving strangely at the moment?

B1 [ U ] the ability to think of new ideas:

It's a job that needs someone with a bit of imagination.

=> imagination noun (from Merriam-Webster - online)
    imag·i·na·tion | \ i-ˌma-jə-ˈnā-shən \
    Definition of imagination
    1 : the act or power of forming a mental image of something not present to the senses or never before wholly perceived in reality

2a : creative ability
    b : ability to confront and deal with a problem : RESOURCEFULNESS
    use your imagination and get us out of here
    c : the thinking or active mind : INTEREST
    stories that fired the imagination

3a : a creation of the mind
    especially : an idealized or poetic creation
    b : fanciful or empty assumption

The process itself is a fact of our experiences. So, if imagination is itself a valid mechanism, can any consequence of imagination be considered illogical? I don't mean circumstances where someone determines the results of imagination to be true or false, but where they claim it is a valid mental object/subject that requires due consideration in their participation in the mental processes and, consequently, our lives.

For example: religion and God(s), Angels, Demons, Heaven, Hell, etc; Christmas and Santa Claus, Elves, etc; Halloween and witches, demons, etc; Life on other planets and Aliens; Superhuman abilities and Superhumans (as a consequence of evolution); and maybe even Pirates and Jack Sparrow (I kid, I kid,... hmm).

Anyway, how logical/illogical is imagination as a mental process and as influence in the activities of our lives?
  • BrianW
    Sorry, for the late changes. I'm done editing the OP.
  • BrianW
    Other examples also include: Magic(k), Astrology, Aura, Aether, stuff from historical mythologies e.g. Atlantis, Camelot, El Dorado, Garden of Eden, Lemuria, Nibiru, Zion, Olympus, Dragons, Book of Thoth, Ambrosia, Druids, etc.
  • DingoJones
    I think it can obviously either or. It could be both at the same time.
    Do you mean to make a distinction between something happening in ones imagination and the act of imagining itself? Im afraid I dont understand the point of the question.
    I can imagine two people in a room, and two people entering from a door so that now there are 4 people in the room. Logical. I could imagine the exact same thing but two MORE people walk in and now I imagine there are 7. Illogical.
    Doesnt it simply matter what is being imagined?
  • BrianW

We have developed to a great extent the means to analyse and criticise our perception of reality. However, because there is more to the mind than just perception, I'm wondering how significant a role conception (the generation/creation of concepts) plays in developing our perspective and consequently, how that perspective influences our experiences. And is it reasonable to apply concepts in the development of experiences?
  • DingoJones

Ah I see. Well it would depend on how the concept is being applied to the development of experiences. Likewise, the significance that role conception plays is going to depend on the specific instance as well. The reasonableness will be judged according to how it has been applied.
    I suppose im saying that the measure of reasonableness is something that exists separately from the processes we apply it to. Even some things that seems antithetical to reason, such as passionate emotions lets say, can be part or wholly reasonable, judged by each individual instance.
  • BrianW
    I suppose im saying that the measure of reasonableness is something that exists separately from the processes we apply it to.DingoJones

Yeah, I thought so too. Which led me to thinking, what would be the basis which determines the reasonableness of the application?
  • DingoJones

Yes, a much trickier question.
    For the purposes of the question though, we need not parse the waters of what reason is and where it comes from, we only need to judge the instance according to whatever standards of reason those involved in the judging are in fact using.
  • apokrisis
    Is imagination logical or illogical?BrianW

Is association logical or illogical?

So maybe the basis of imagination doesn't crisply fall into either category. Maybe logic itself is a little mad in its demand for exact determinism that maps one informational state on to another with no loss - and thus no creation - of information.
  • BrianW
    we only need to judge the instance according to whatever standards of reason those involved in the judging are in fact using.DingoJones

This would imply that with a variety of judges there is the possibility of a variety of judgements. Also, it means judgement is determined by the code of conduct adhered to by the judges.

So maybe the basis of imagination doesn't crisply fall into either category.apokrisis

Which is what I'm inclined to deduce.

Now I find myself thinking that perhaps logic is limited to perception or a direct relation with facts. This then makes me revise my definition of perspective since it seems to account for concepts as well. Then the characteristics of the concepts we create or the mode of association we use in creating concepts should reveal, to some degree, the perspective which we bear. Right?

Maybe those who choose to adhere to the application of certain concepts in their lives are no more crazy than any others. Maybe, the difference is in the degree of variation between their concepts and percepts. But, since their is no limitation to our imaginative endeavours then we cannot fault anyone for going too far or not far enough. As to our interactions, it seems that as long as we adhere to the accepted code of conduct, then every application of concepts which fits within those boundaries is fair game. Right?
  • DingoJones
    This would imply that with a variety of judges there is the possibility of a variety of judgements. Also, it means judgement is determined by the code of conduct adhered to by the judges.BrianW

Precisely.
  • TheMadFool
    Is imagination logical or illogical?BrianW

Imagination is constrained by logic. We can't imagine a square circle. Try it.

Yet we have Schrodinger's cat, both dead and alive.
  • BrianW
    We can't imagine a square circle.TheMadFool

That's because, by definition, two things are not one. I can, however, imagine a squared circle, or a circled square. I can also create an image which is half circle and half square and choose to call it a square circle or circle square. It depends on the parameters you choose to define your imaginations with.

Yet we have Schrodinger's cat, both dead and alive.TheMadFool

Conceptually, yes. Practically, not yet experienced. Hence, the question whether imagination is logical or illogical.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.