• Ram
    It is true, that a little philosophy inclineth man’s mind to atheism; but depth in philosophy bringeth men’s minds about to religion.
    -Francis Bacon

Firstly, I recommend this essay from a writer who is more articulate than I am and who shows the philosophical shallowness of "New Atheism" and its predecessors https://jaysanalysis.com/2018/08/16/new-atheists-refuted-logic-presupposes-ethics-metaphysics/

Personally I don't want to talk about this.

Anyways, atheism leads to nihilism. It also leads to moral relativism as atheists themselves admitted in this thread where, amazingly, I was told "moral relativists have a basis for morality".

To boil things down- atheism gives a person a pass to do whatever they want. Many atheists love to give psuedopious lectures on being "good without God". There is a book called Nihilism: The Root of the Revolution of the Modern Age by Seraphim Rose which talks about this as being sort of an early stage of atheism.

If you become an atheist, when you first become an atheist and you have a sort of shallow atheism, the strangely pious-sounding talks on "good without God"- they make sense as a way to justify one's atheism and to soothe oneself. Of course I promote what I believe. Pretty much everyone does. However, I want to help give people an alternative to materialism. I do what I do because I want to please God. I follow my beliefs, just like anyone does (although as far as I know religious people are the only people who I see calls to ban from merely representing their point of view on the forum- apparently people assume a priori that religious people are idiots and that our points of view both lack validity- and need to be silenced... lest anyone be taken in by our supposedly validity-lacking points of view, I suppose).

However, people have trouble not believing in God even if they try not to believe in God. I forget which movie it was but in one of Zizek's movies (I think either the Pervert's Guide to Ideology or Guide to Cinema) you can see Zizek of all people talk about how hard it is to be an atheist and claim that people are naturally believers in God.

Now this is incredible, seeing as how Zizek is from an atheist family. He is not the first generation, as his parents were atheists. And he grew up under Communism from what I understand.

So here you have a guy.... who would have been well over 50 years old at the time of whichever movie it was where he said that... who is at least a second-generation atheist... where was this guy's "religious indoctrination"? Why would he have made such a statement? Why would have been led to??

I wasn't given "religious indoctrination" as a child. I wasn't raised to be religious. I was at the masjid and a guy told me how his family was not religious. I knew a super devout Christian woman- also came from non-religious background.

Look at Russia, for example. Decades and decades of Communism- yet today it's Christian????

"He was like many people: in intellectual matters he was sceptical, but in moral matters he believed implicitly in the maxims that he had imbibed at his mother’s knee. That illustrates what the psychoanalysts so much emphasise—the immensely stronger hold upon us that our very early associations have than those of later times." - Bertrand Russell discussing Kant in "Why I am not a Christian".

How then would we explain Zizek? Zizek would have imbibed atheism at his mother's knee. Same with Russia. Russell's explanation can't make sense of religion in a world where the West is post-Christian and where religion has been marginalized and believing in religion makes a person seen as an idiot- and yet religion persists. Constantly, with the rise of science and technology "religion is obsolete" and always it is heard how religion is just about to go away. I bet there were people in the latter half of the 19th century who were saying the exact same thing. People are perenially saying that... yet religion refuses to die.

Furthermore- who did Russell cite? "The psychoanalysts". Psychoanalysis has long been discredited. So Russell seems to be throwing out the possibility of God- on a basis which has long since been discredited.... psychoanalysis is long gone..... but belief in God is still here.

I want to make a few points. You folk should be intelligent enough to understand the concept that "the medium is the message" and you folk should be intelligent enough to understand that this medium is not really sufficient for this sort of issue. So I want to make a few points very briefly and for sake of brevity I don't think I'll be able to go as in depth as I'd like.

"For while the mind of man looketh upon second causes scattered, it may sometimes rest in them, and go no further; but when it beholdeth the chain of them, confederate and linked together, it must needs fly to Providence and Deity. Nay, even that school which is most accused of atheism doth most demonstrate religion... It appeareth in nothing more, that atheism is rather in the lip than in the heart of man, than by this; that atheists will ever be talking of that their opinion, as if they fainted in it within themselves, and would be glad to be strengthened by the consent of others. Nay more, you shall have atheists strive to get disciples, as it fareth with other sects.
    "

-Francis Bacon

As far as I'm aware, I'm the only Muslim on this forum. I'm not looking for or expecting validation. I think this forum is mostly hostile towards religion- which is sad as it goes against the spirit of what philosophy is supposed to be about. Philosophy at least in theory is supposed to be a disinterested quest for truth. Yet the atheists presuppose their philosophy is correct and that only their side is valid- and should be heard. If the truth is on their side, I don't understand why they want to use censorship and don't want open discussion.

Atheists are caught between two things. On hand, they are given an incentive. An atheist might give one of those strangely pious-sounding lectures on "good without God" for PR purposes- but beneath the surface- they know: atheism gives them a license to do whatever they want. They might deny this for political reasons- they know, though. This is the inescapable conclusion of moral relativism which they don't deny atheism leads to.

On the other hand, atheism leads to the conclusion that life is meaningless. Hence atheism's suicide problem https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/atheism-has-a-suicide-problem_us_5a2a902ee4b022ec613b812b http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thread-Why-Do-Atheists-Have-the-Highest-Suicide-Rates .

From a Muslim perspective, suicide is completely off the table. Suicide for a Muslim is completely off the table as the consequences are terrifying. However, from an atheist perspective, it can't be shown that suicide is wrong (or that anything is wrong).

I read Why I am Not a Christian when I was 12. I read that a long time ago. The God Delusion, some other stuff too.

The stuff is shallow. The article at the beginning shows you how their arguments are shallow and the guy is better at explaining things than I am.

You look at something like The Varieties of Religious Experience by William James and you look fluff like the Russell essay... people like James are playing chess while people like Russell are playing checkers.

The two take completely different approaches to epistemology. Types like Russell expect knowledge to fit neatly into their preconceived post-"Enlightenment" frameworks... for themselves they've already rigged the game in favor of materialism and then they applaud materialism when it wins a game where the rules were pre-set in its favor. And then they think this leads them to "truth".

Russell's approach is two-dimensional and shallow in comparison to James' approach.

These materialists want everything to fit into their preconceived framework and reject things not on the basis of whether or not they're true but whether they fit into the preconceived framework. This is no way to search for truth.

Materialists literally cannot think outside of their preconceived framework. Islamic epistemology or the epistemology of The Varieties of Religious Experience.... these epistemologies are literally unthinkable for them. They think the epistemology handed down from the Enlightenmennt is the only conceivable epistemology and can't conceive of other epistemologies, much less evaluate them.

They want you as a theist.... they want you to show them some sort of quantitative data, some sort of statistics which will show them God exists.... they want God to conform to the "Enlightenment"... and then want to reject God because God doesn't conform to the "Enlightenment"! This is a very simple people.

They can't even grasp the epistemology of the Quran! They are literally stuck in a narrow, Western, "Enlightenment" epistemology and can't imagine any epistemology beyond it- thinking their epistemology signifies a sort of "end of history"- not even knowing what's beyond it!

I know atheism inside and out. I studied that stuff when I was 12. I am well aware of their epistemology and I grasp their epistemology but they don't grasp or understand mine. They literally can't think outside their preconceived, narrow epistemology. They want to tell me theirs is better but haven't grasp mine. They want to tell me Mounds tastes better than Almond Joy... but I've tasted Mounds and they haven't even tasted Almond Joy.

I go more into detail about this in a blog post https://entranceofcave.blogspot.com/2018/07/where-is-your-proof.html

The atheists don't know what's outside of their epistemology. They're like the prisoners in Plato's Cave, have no idea what's outside the cave but will try to lecture a person who's been outside the cave regarding what's outside the cave. The person has been outside of the cave, walked outside and he saw things themselves. But simply walking around and obtaining first-hand experience of what's outside the Cave is "unscientific". These cave-dwellers, they've got down the measurements of certain shadows, they've calculated the exact measurements, even timing of when certain shadows appear.... how dare this man go off something that doesn't fit their framework! Who does he think he is?! The audacity! They "know" a priori that whatever the truth is- it must fit their framework! Their framework is prior to the truth for them. Who knows why.

I sat with some Christians. They had traveled as missionaries. I listened to them talk to each other about how more weird, supernatural stuff seemed to take place among Third World people. Scientism expects them to have charts and statistics for their beliefs, as scientism acts in a fashion very reminscent of colonialism and expects everyone to conform to itself. As soon as I can see proof that truth necessarily must fit the framework imposed by Scientism, insha'Allah I'll accept that framework. Scientism has zero respect for direct experience. It behaves like Chico Marx in Duck Soup when Chico tells that woman "who ya gonna believe me or your own eyes?". So apparently I might get banned simply for believing my own eyes. Anyways, those Christians were right and what they said shows they really had experience with what they were talking about.

My family is not from the First World. I mean you look at Africans, for example... hardly any Africans are atheists. I don't want to portray the Third World as one homogenous thing as it's not.... but hardly anyone from Third World backgrounds except I think China if we count China.... pretty much none are atheists. These people are not idiots. A lot of these people have experienced stuff. When I talked to a friend from Africa about a supernatural experience I had- she knew exactly what I was talking about and she explained to me that people in her famly had had similar experiences. People in my family have had strange experiences. I have zero intention of talking about certain things. I don't think I could be an atheist if I wanted to be. I've had weird experiences that I don't want to talk about. There's certain things I'm not supposed to talk about. I'll give another example insha'Allah- I know a guy from Egypt. Also a guy from Indian background. I talked to the guy from Egypt about that same supernatural experience- he instantly knew exactly what I was talking about and he had seen some stuff that was similar. The guy from Indian background- same thing. He knew instantly what I was talking about. I'm not an idiot. I might try to give you some abstract arguments but I don't believe in the Unseen on the basis of some abstract arguments... I know it exists because I've seen some things. It's strange to me that I even have to explain this stuff. I mean because for the people I know... if I talk about this sort of stuff, they know what I'm talking about. I only mention people besides myself to illustrate- I'm not the only person who has dealt with certain... experiences. William James done wrote a whole book on the subject.

I just find it shocking that people can still believe in materialism. It's hard for me to relate to. I understand the position frontwards, backwards and sideways, I grasp it but... it's a discredited position. I want to say this- I think William James was lowkey a New Ager (I am completely against that stuff) before the term was popular. But such already existed even at that time. Look at Helena Blavatsky and look at the rising interest in spiritualism which was a big thing at that period. I don't like writing about this. I want to close this in a minute. I want to return to a subject I touched on previously. Atheists on one hand get a sort of license to do whatever they want, on the other hand experience a crisis of meaning. Epistemology in actuality doesn't work the way Westerners think it works. The standard Western epistemology is bogus. I just wanted to mention that... anyways... your heart matters. The cleanliness of your heart matters. If you are an atheist- how important is the freedom to do whatever you want? A person whose heart is darkened and stone will not understand... a person whose heart is pure will not be satisfied with atheism and want a way out- will crave for there to be a God (and thus justice as without God this world is one of injustice and there is no justice for people). I wish to speak to such a person if such a person is reading. You may have been taught a Western way of thinking.

If atheism conforms to your desires, perhaps you won't want to leave atheism- so as not to leave desires. I hope you are not like an animal. The "Enlightenment" is so "enlightened" I might get banned if I think outside its perspective, as having an alternate view is deemed unacceptable by its guardians.

My desire is to show that there is a way out for the atheist who is not a follower of desires and that there is a way out if a person wants to pursue it.

Denying the Unseen is silly. To deny the "supernatural"?! I cannot help but find it absurd. What people think of as the "supernatural" is so accessible and so a part of reality... I could teach you how to access it. It isn't hard. It's very easy. Yet you have people... even old people!... who deny it. You don't see the Unseen but the Unseen sees you. May Allah guide you.
  • unenlightened
    Why so negative? This is an excessively long post, and the vast majority of it is a denigration of others rather than an explanation of your own position.

If atheism conforms to your desires, perhaps you won't want to leave atheism- so as not to leave desires. I hope you are not like an animal. The "Enlightenment" is so "enlightened" I might get banned if I think outside its perspective, as having an alternate view is deemed unacceptable by its guardians.Ram

I too am unenlightened. But you might well get banned if you go on in this way. Stop telling us how awful we are or are going to be, as if you were seeking virtual martyrdom at the hands of the terrible atheists, and tell us what you have that is better. My background is more Christian, and my interest has turned more to Buddhism, so I know relatively little about Islam. But you are not making it very attractive at the moment.
  • Banno
    Personally I don't want to talk about this.Ram

Then don't.
  • membership deleted 3619
    Atheists are caught between two things. On hand, they are given an incentive. An atheist might give one of those strangely pious-sounding lectures on "good without God" for PR purposes- but beneath the surface- they know: atheism gives them a license to do whatever they want. They might deny this for political reasons- they know, though. This is the inescapable conclusion of moral relativism which they don't deny atheism leads to.

On the other hand, atheism leads to the conclusion that life is meaningless.
    Ram

Firstly, the claim that "atheism gives them a license to do whatever they want" would require a separate argument as it is not self-evident to me: While atheism might not give behavioural prescriptions, it does not rule out other sources of behavioural rules. I fail to see how it would grant any license at all. What those other (subjective/intersubjective/objective) sources of morality might be, is discussed in large parts of moral philosophy and ethics and there is no need (and not enough space) to repeat that discussion here. (20-50 years of study would not be enough. And I'm sorry to say that, but if you think that you have grasped it all, then I'm inclined to think that you have not understood it. This is meant as an expression of my hesitation to take your word on that, not as a judgement of your intelligence.)

Secondly, the claim that "atheism leads to the conclusion that life is meaningless" seems to require a very thorough argument as well: Again, atheism might not provide a meaning for your or anyone's life, but it does not rule out meaning either. And again whatever you might intend by 'meaning' can have sources elsewhere. (I personally have found sources for both morality and meaning--albeit subjective.)

Therefore, although you seem to imagine atheism to be a dark and desolate place, it is not necessarily so. Yes, it might require some work to establish all of those things. (It's worth the time and thought for me at least. And I don't see anyone solving the theodicee problem anytime soon.)

I apologize for not addressing all of your points, but it seems to me that they all would require some work in their exposition to warrant a proper debate.
  • Michael Ossipoff
    Materialism's gaping hole is its brute-fact, and Materialists inability to define the "objective reality", "objective existence" and "actuality" that they attribute to this material universe, to argue for Materialism over Idealism.

Some Materialists declare that the world of their Materialism is absurd (They're called "absurdists"). Of course they're right about that. ...but it doesn't seem to make them question their Materialism.

I'm dismayed by the way this thread is going. Yes, Ram's post spoke of some negative things, but so, uniformly, do the shorter posts of our aggressive Atheists.

When I reply to aggressive Atheists here, I reply to at least some of the points that they make in their posts and which I disagree with. That's what a reply is. I don't use one-line dismissals of what they say.

Michael Ossipoff
  • Ram
    Why so negative? This is an excessively long post, and the vast majority of it is a denigration of others rather than an explanation of your own position.

If atheism conforms to your desires, perhaps you won't want to leave atheism- so as not to leave desires. I hope you are not like an animal. The "Enlightenment" is so "enlightened" I might get banned if I think outside its perspective, as having an alternate view is deemed unacceptable by its guardians.
    — Ram

I too am unenlightened. But you might well get banned if you go on in this way. Stop telling us how awful we are or are going to be, as if you were seeking virtual martyrdom at the hands of the terrible atheists, and tell us what you have that is better. My background is more Christian, and my interest has turned more to Buddhism, so I know relatively little about Islam. But you are not making it very attractive at the moment.
    unenlightened

Attractive to you. You have gone away from Christianity and towards Buddhism so you might be against Abrahamic religion in general. Your idea of "attractive" might be a watered-down version of what I believe. What matters is what God thinks, not what people think. You talking about going towards Buddhism is not attractive to me.

You relying on a sort of threat of me being banned is not attractive to me either. Atheists can criticize theism all they want and the site has no problem with it but I'm supposed to not criticize atheism.

Besides, this only confirms what I said:
    The "Enlightenment" is so "enlightened" I might get banned if I think outside its perspective, as having an alternate view is deemed unacceptable by its guardians.Ram

And yes I criticize atheism and materialism. That is the topic of the post! It is called "the big gaping hole in materialism". So yes I address the topic. And the topic is the hole in materialism, not attacking atheists personally. If you don't like my post, read the article I linked to at the beginning. You might like their style better.
  • Ram
    Materialism's gaping hole is its brute-fact, and Materialists inability to define the "objective reality", "objective existence" and "actuality" that they attribute to this material universe, to argue for Materialism over Idealism.

Some Materialists declare that the world of their Materialism is absurd (They're called "absurdists"). Of course they're right about that. ...but it doesn't seem to make them question their Materialism.

I'm dismayed by the way this thread is going. Yes, Ram's post spoke of some negative things, but so, uniformly, do the shorter posts of our aggressive Atheists.

When I reply to aggressive Atheists here, I reply to at least some of the points that they make in their posts and which I disagree with. That's what a reply is. I don't use one-line dismissals of what they say.

Michael Ossipoff
    Michael Ossipoff

I mean... are driven by seeking truth or by emotions?? They say my post is "negative".

I'm supposed to apologize for my post not being happy, feel-good enough? If you want "happy, feel-good"- don't read my stuff. I'm not about "happy, feel-good".

Is this what philosophy and discourse has been reduced to? It's weighed on how much it's "happy, feel-good"? Look, I don't know how "happy, feel-good" my post is. I wasn't thinking about whether or not what I said was "happy, feel-good" or not. I'm not writing a Disney film. My post was written by an adult and for adults. I'm not out to insult the audience by assuming they need "happy feel-good". I wasn't thinking about "happy, feel-good" or "negativity"- I was thinking about whether what I said is true or not.

Maybe that's why people are against religion. The job of the Prophets (PBUH) was to tell the people the truth, not to make people feel good. I refuse to accept whether or not something is "feel-good" or not as the criterion of its truth.... or to accept that truth as not even being the criterion and "feel-good" as the criterion.

The atheists criticize theism and I criticize atheism. I assume we're adults here and we can handle a discussion. Do the atheists want a discussion or do they just want a space where they can bash theism and where theists can't respond?

If they want a discussion- then let's talk! That's what I'm here for.
    It does seem that you do what you want:

I do what I do because I want to please God.Ram

That does not necesseraly mean that you do *whatever* you want, but you certainly are guided by something that you *want*.

I do what I do because I want people around me and everywhere to thrive and prosper (and this also includes myself, but not preferentially). Furthermore, I want all beings to prosper (whatever that might mean, I'm still in the process of thinking this through). We both do what we do because of something we want. I fail to see the fundamental difference here.
  • TheWillowOfDarkness

I'm not on staff, so my comments do not represent there reasons in my comments, but your criticism had been terrible throughout, a series of posts with many unsupported or outright mistaken claims about athiesm and materialism.

You do not engage with ideas on the subjects in most cases. When people try to engage your criticism, you generally do not respond in the space of logic and reasons. You just repeat an assertion of how atheists and materialists must be terrible.

Suffice to say, the reasons your claims attract censure is likely because the break forum rules with regards to giving supported arguments. Most of the time you aren't reasoning about what is true, you are just engaged in a practice of attacking a terrible atheists and materialists. In an environment which is dedicated to reasoning and pursuit of truth, just spewing attacks against you enemies doesn't cut it.

*edit*

Ah, I put this in the wrong thread. Give me a minute to move it to the right one.

*edit*

Heh, nevermind. I mistook the post I was responding to was in the other thread about bias.
  • Ram
    I apologize for not addressing all of your points, but it seems to me that they all would require some work in their exposition to warrant a proper debate.ivb

Well which one is it? I got one post telling me that my post was excessively long and now this one telling me I didn't go in depth enough.

I thank you, though- you are right! I wrote a long post and it still wasn't long enough. I actually sensed that at the end. My problem with my post is I wrote this:

My desire is to show that there is a way out for the atheist who is not a follower of desires and that there is a way out if a person wants to pursue it.Ram

but I don't think I did enough to actually explain the way out.

At the same time, I think I sensed that even when I was writing it but I already knew my post was very long.

If you have a specific issue or topic you want to go into- let's get into it. Go and tell me what you want more elaboration on and let's explore it. I accept that other people have their points of view. They're free to disagree with my views and I'm free to disagree with theirs, I just think we should avoid personal attacks on individuals.

Firstly, the claim that "atheism gives them a license to do whatever they want" would require a separate argument as it is not self-evident to me: While atheism might not give behavioural prescriptions, it does not rule out other sources of behavioural rules. I fail to see how it would grant any license at all. What those other (subjective/intersubjective/objective) sources of morality might be, is discussed in large parts of moral philosophy and ethics and there is no need (and not enough space) to repeat that discussion here. (20-50 years of study would not be enough. And I'm sorry to say that, but if you think that you have grasped it all, then I'm inclined to think that you have not understood it. This is meant as an expression of my hesitation to take your word on that, not as a judgement of your intelligence.)

Secondly, the claim that "atheism leads to the conclusion that life is meaningless" seems to require a very thorough argument as well: Again, atheism might not provide a meaning for your or anyone's life, but it does not rule out meaning either. And again whatever you might intend by 'meaning' can have sources elsewhere. (I personally have found sources for both morality and meaning--albeit subjective.)

Therefore, although you seem to imagine atheism to be a dark and desolate place, it is not necessarily so. Yes, it might require some work to establish all of those things. (It's worth the time and thought for me at least. And I don't see anyone solving the theodicee problem anytime soon.)
    ivb

Me I apologize that I don't think I'll be responding to this in the depth it reserves. I get a lot of responses from people and I'm happy about it (I want to try to represent a viewpoint that they might be familiar with and that I think doesn't get heard) but it makes it difficult for me to respond in the depth that things might deserve.

Now, let me try to break down the issues

1)- "If there is no God, everything is permitted"- true or not? I say it's true. You say it isn't true. Okay.

2)- Atheism leads to the conclusion that life is meaningless- true or not? I say it's true. You say it isn't true. Okay.

3- Pretty much an extension of the second one- you say I think atheism is "a dark and desolate place". Also you mention something about theodicy (I think that's the "problem of evil" but I have to look that up).

Firstly, I think the most interesting point you made was the one I addressed first.

The medium is the message. This is not an adequate medium for exploring these issues. Look how many pages The Republic is. Look how many pages the Quran is. Look how many pages the Bible is. If you're an atheist, look how many pages The God Delusion is. (I've read all those books by the way)

Now as far as 1)- I think this video illustrates the matter better than I can https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQ-aqnDHqqA&t=6s

In my defense, it's been said that Kant was a great philosopher and a terrible writer. I definitely believe in what I believe as far as my religion but I don't think I'm a particularly good writer or claim to be. But like I said- it's possible for example for Kant to be a good philosopher and a bad writer. So whether my writing is particularly good is not necessarily the barometer of whether or not I'm right or not.

Now as far as 1)- I already made a thread about that. I can't remember the title off the top of my head and I want to be quick so I can respond to more people. I'm getting a lot of responses.

Anyways, if you look in the religion section, I think you'll find a thread by me called something like "there is no secular basis for morality". So there's already a whole thread on that one issue.

I think an atheist on here summed it up very well though if you want a very brief take:

With all due respect for my fellow atheists here, I don't think you are helping the argument.

Moral realism, innate morality etc... is no real justification for morality. All i have to say to you is, like he's been saying all along, I feel/think differently, and we are back at moral relativism. Why should I put my moral beliefs aside for yours?

There is no objective morality without god, you're trying to have your cake and eat it too.
    ChatteringMonkey

Now as far as 2)- yes I agree with that a lot. I'm not sure who published it first- Huffington Post or the atheist "skeptic" website- but look who published this:

https://www.skepticink.com/dangeroustalk/2012/10/11/atheism-has-a-suicide-problem/

That's not islamisthetruthatheistsaredumb.com- that's an atheist website. An atheist website itself published that. If you want to think atheism doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that life is essentially meaningless... I mean... you're free to think what you want. But I do think life is essentially meaningless from an atheist perspective. I think you have a vested personal interest in denying that and you have to find ways to avoid that conclusion... but I think atheism does posit the existence of man... who has an innate drive for meaning... in an essentially meaningless universe.... which is sort of terrifying the more that a person is cognizant of it. I can understand, why, for example a lot of people get into drugs. You have the schools, the institutions, etc. pushing on people that life is essentially meaningless... and so naturally people want to escape that vast void they believe themselves to be living in. I recommend The Stranger by Camus if you want an illustration of what I'm talking about. Actually- just study pretty much any Existentialism. What I'm saying is not really that different than Existentialism- or Postmodernism. They both say pretty much the same thing that I'm saying, I'm just saying it from an outside perspective.

Now as far as 3).... am I saying atheism is a dark, desolate place?

You know, man (or woman).... my post isn't really meant against atheists. My stuff isn't really meant against atheists or against anybody in particular. I think people are presenting things in that way, framing it in that way so that there can be a justification to censor me.... in order to silence my viewpoint..... I think I pointed out already.... the title is "the big gaping hole in materialism", not materialists.... I'm talking about ideas, I'm not to attack people although I can understand why people might take it personally.... but at the same time like I mentioned to someone else.... for there to be debate, people have to be free to criticize ideas...... so if there is to be open discussion, people have to be able to criticize ideas.... equating this with attacks on people and thus doing away with discussion of ideas.... I mean if people want to go this route.... it is what it is..... now as far as atheism allegedly or nonallegedly being a dark, desolate place...... I have said that there is no secular basis for morality..... and I have said that it posits the universe as essentially meaningless... if that's depressing..... depressing is a verb.... it has to be carried out on an "object".... you know so.... Marquis de Sade might believe the idea that life has no objective meaning is the most exciting thing ever.... another person might find it dark, desolate, depressing..... I think the person who is purest in heart will find it depressing for the reason I mentioned:

a person whose heart is pure will not be satisfied with atheism and want a way out- will crave for there to be a God (and thus justice as without God this world is one of injustice and there is no justice for people)Ram
  • Ram
    I'm not on staff, so my comments do not represent there reasons in my comments, but your criticism had been terrible throughout, a series of posts with many unsupported or outright mistaken claims about athiesm and materialism.

You do not engage with ideas on the subjects in most cases. When people try to engage your criticism, you generally do not respond in the space of logic and reasons. You just repeat an assertion of how atheists and materialists must be terrible.

Suffice to say, the reasons your claims attract censure is likely because the break forum rules with regards to giving supported arguments. Most of the time you aren't reasoning about what is true, you are just engaged in a practice of attacking a terrible atheists and materialists. In an environment which is dedicated to reasoning and pursuit of truth, just spewing attacks against you enemies doesn't cut it.
    TheWillowOfDarkness

´again

The "Enlightenment" is so "enlightened" I might get banned if I think outside its perspective, as having an alternate view is deemed unacceptable by its guardians.Ram

I think "Reason" to you is that which fits in your particular framework and that which is outside of your preconceived framework is outside of "Reason". You talk about search for truth and I'm about search for truth also. And I think that necesitates being willing to go outside preconceived frameworks and epistemologies.

These materialists want everything to fit into their preconceived framework and reject things not on the basis of whether or not they're true but whether they fit into the preconceived framework. This is no way to search for truth.

Materialists literally cannot think outside of their preconceived framework. Islamic epistemology or the epistemology of The Varieties of Religious Experience.... these epistemologies are literally unthinkable for them. They think the epistemology handed down from the Enlightenmennt is the only conceivable epistemology and can't conceive of other epistemologies, much less evaluate them.
    Ram
    Well which one is it? I got one post telling me that my post was excessively long and now this one telling me I didn't go in depth enough.Ram

My remark was not about the length but about the clarity of the argument. I suspect that more thought about how exactly to formulate your points more clearly will actually lead to a shorter post.

It is also very difficult to have a debate about many claims at once because it becomes hard to follow which claim some comment applies to. Concentrating on the most important claims (you decide which that might be) also leads to shorter posts. After clarifying one claim, the debate can then move on to the next. (This is the reason why I picked only few claims--those which seemed clear enough to discuss while still central enough to what I assume your post is about.)

So, no, on the contrary I would have preferred a shorter post. In some parts the claims were very vague--especially beginning with "they...". It wasn't clear to me who you refer to and it wasn't clear to me what the point to be thought through is at that instance.
  • TheWillowOfDarkness

I'm not talking about a specific belief unique to one side of an argument. My point is about the use of logic and reasoning to support one's arguments and claims.

In most of your arguments, you don't engage with the question of actually justifying your position with logic. You just repeat some assertion of what athiesm or materialism does. You don't engage in terms of logic to actually justify your claims over oppositions. You don't give us a reason to think your position is correct over others.

It isn't a question of "Enlightenment epistemologies" either. Use of reason and supporting arguments predates the Enlightenment.
    In my defense, it's been said that Kant was a great philosopher and a terrible writer. I definitely believe in what I believe as far as my religion but I don't think I'm a particularly good writer or claim to be. But like I said- it's possible for example for Kant to be a good philosopher and a bad writer. So whether my writing is particularly good is not necessarily the barometer of whether or not I'm right or not.Ram

On a side note: Let's not bring Kant into this and just stick to the claims at hand. (Comparing oneself with that calibre can only bring ridicule.)
  • Ram
    On a side note: Let's not bring Kant into this and just stick to the claims at hand. (Comparing oneself with that calibre can only bring ridicule.)ivb

Ridicule or non-ridicule is not a criteron of truth. You should know that. And it's the general principle that counts- I'm not comparing myself with Kant (although I'm no huge admirer of Kant).
  • Ram
    I'm not talking about a specific belief unique to one side of an argument. My point is about the use of logic and reasoning to support one's arguments and claims.

In most of your arguments, you don't engage with the question of actually justifying your position with logic. You just repeat some assertion of what athiesm or materialism does. You don't engage in terms of logic to actually justify your claims over oppositions. You don't give us a reason to think your position is correct over others.
    TheWillowOfDarkness

Again- yes. The topic is "the big gaping hole in materialism". Yes. I address the subject. Another subject is another discussion.
  • Ram
    My remark was not about the length but about the clarity of the argument. I suspect that more thought about how exactly to formulate your points more clearly will actually lead to a shorter post.

It is also very difficult to have a debate about many claims at once because it becomes hard to follow which claim some comment applies to. Concentrating on the most important claims (you decide which that might be) also leads to shorter posts. After clarifying one claim, the debate can then move on to the next. (This is the reason why I picked only few claims--those which seemed clear enough to discuss while still central enough to what I assume your post is about.)

So, no, on the contrary I would have preferred a shorter post. In some parts the claims were very vague--especially beginning with "they...". It wasn't clear to me who you refer to and it wasn't clear to me what the point to be thought through is at that instance.
    ivb

Are you going to address any points?
    Now as far as 1)- I already made a thread about that. I can't remember the title off the top of my head and I want to be quick so I can respond to more people. I'm getting a lot of responses.

Anyways, if you look in the religion section, I think you'll find a thread by me called something like "there is no secular basis for morality". So there's already a whole thread on that one issue.
    Ram

I have seen that one. I must admit that I have stopped reading after page 2. The initial argument however was not completely clear to me. Is it that there is no secular basis for objective morality? (In this case there is a debate about moral realism and I would recommend dealing with those people as they seem to be quite convinced.) Or is it that there is no basis for morality *at all*? In this case, we should talk about what exactly we assume 'morality' to mean. If it means some kind of behavioural norms and rules then it seems we can certainly find a basis for them.
    Certainly, I do not see that atheism would provide those, so a base would have to be found somewhere else.

(Again, I would recommend reformulating that initial argument in a way that we know what we are talking about. Otherwise there is a lot of midunderstandings and unnecessary back and forth.)
    Give me some time to read your post and think about what you wrote. ;) (I assume that this is what you would prefer.)
  • TheWillowOfDarkness

My point was you don't support that point. You just come along and expect everyone to believe it because you say so. When challenged, you just revert to saying how the "big problem" must be true, rather giving reason why that would need to be the case.

To give you an equivalent opposing argument, it would be like if I announced there was a big problem with religious beliefs: that no religious person could be moral because God didn't know what was moral, then proceeded to just assert this was the case.

It's an argument which tells nothing because I have given no reason as to why God cannot know morality, nor any reason to say why being religious cannot act morally anyway.
    If you want to think atheism doesn't necessarily lead to the conclusion that life is essentially meaningless... I mean... you're free to think what you want. But I do think life is essentially meaningless from an atheist perspective.Ram

Could you please explain how the belief "There is no god" rules out any other source of meaning for life? I think this is what I fail to see and the cited article only speaks about atheists and suicide. It does not provide any argument whatsoever.
    I agree that atheism does not *provide* a meaning. But how does it rule out any (including subjective) meaning?
    a person whose heart is pure will not be satisfied with atheism and want a way out- will crave for there to be a God (and thus justice as without God this world is one of injustice and there is no justice for people)Ram

If "without God this world is one of injustice and there is no justice for people", then the theodicy problem is about how the world can be considered just *with* god. And so that question remains open. (And I beg you not to try to answer it in a post--at least not before checking against the existing literature that your answer is not a repetition of an existing attempt and that it does not have any serious weaknesses; in which case you are more than welcome to submit it to an academic publisher, as it will be genuinely appreciated by the community.)

*edit*
    I did not take your post as an attack on anyone. Rather, that was the impression that I had about how you might perceive atheism. Forgive me if I was mistaken.

*edit*
    p.s. I'll be back... (These problems aren't going to dissolve anytime soon, anyway. :) )
  • Ram
    My point was you don't support that point. You just come along and expect everyone to believe it because you say so. When challenged, you just revert to saying how the "big problem" must be true, rather giving reason why that would need to be the case.

To give you an equivalent opposing argument, it would be like if I announced there was a big problem with religious beliefs: that no religious person could be moral because God didn't know what was moral, then proceeded to just assert this was the case.

It's an argument which tells nothing because I have given no reason as to why God cannot know morality, nor any reason to say why being religious cannot act morally anyway.
    TheWillowOfDarkness

What point? I made a thread called "the big gaping hole in materialism". I addressed materialism.

I already explained in another thread- I believe in God on the basis of experiences I've had (as well as some other things). I don't believe in God purely on the basis of abstract arguments. So I haven't made a thread saying "here is the 100% proof God exists" and I don't think I will. Now I've explained why. Other people haven't seen and experienced the things I've seen and experienced.

Theists tend to believe based on experiences, atheists tend to disbelieve on the basis of abstract arguments.

So I've made a thread called "the big gaping hole in materialism". I've addressed materialism. If you don't like my thread because you want my topic to be another topic... it is what it is.

I am not sure "point" you are referring to in the last word of the first sentence I quoted. I'm not really sure what your post is saying. Maybe you can explain what you are saying. Are you saying I haven't specified my argument against materialism?
  • tim wood
    But like I said- it's possible for example for Kant to be a good philosopher and a bad writer.Ram

Actually, Kant is quite a good writer. He's a hard read, until you get used to it. Like running two miles. And to be sure, the ideas he's trying to make clear are difficult for anyone, especially for people new to his thinking, and even more for people with ignorant preconceptions about his writings.
  • TheWillowOfDarkness

I'm saying you've just asserted there is a big problem with materialism. You haven't show why that is true or logical conclusion. Everytime you are challenged, you just return to the initial assertion there is a big problem.

This is what others meant when accusing you of "begging the question." Everytime you are challenged, you return to just the assertion of the "big problem" as you justification for your position. You don't address the objections in terms of how opponents mistaken or logically flawed. You just return to asserting there is a "big problem."
  • Ram
    If "without God this world is one of injustice and there is no justice for people", then the theodicy problem is about how the world can be considered just *with* god. And so that question remains open. (And I beg you not to try to answer it in a post--at least not before checking against the existing literature that your answer is not a repetition of an existing attempt and that it does not have any serious weaknesses; in which case you are more than welcome to submit it to an academic publisher, as it will be genuinely appreciated by the community.)

*edit*
    I did not take your post as an attack on anyone. Rather, that was the impression that I had about how you might perceive atheism. Forgive me if I was mistaken.
    ivb

Say man (or woman), I enjoy discussing with atheists as long as we're both respectful. If I'm rude to you, let me know. I don't want to be rude.

As far as academic publishers, I don't care about academic publishers. The universities are run by a bunch of godless leftists. Religious conservatives have lost the culture war in the universities a long time ago. I don't care about what those institutions think because I don't believe in their legitimacy. A huge segment of the population is with me on this.

Truth is truth regardless of what the institutions claim. Besides, aren't the universities pushing postmodernism these days? Or at least selectively.... grand narratives are untrue according to them... unless they are the ones pushing the grand narrative.... according to them.

Anyways, let me look up theodicy. I think it's "problem of evil". Ah- I was right.

I think you're projecting a Western outlook on a non-Western outlook. I think you're going from a post-Christian perspective. I think the "problem of evil" is a way bigger problem for Christianity than it is for Islam. And I don't think it's this unanswerable thing, even for Christianity (although more difficult for Christianity than Islam). You've heard of Plantinga, right? I'm sure that... hopefully... I don't have to explain Plantinga's thing to you.

But anyways, that's Plantinga. From a Muslim perspective, it's pretty simple. If you really want to understand the Muslim perspective on the issue, I say read the Yusuf Ali translation of the Quran. The "problem of evil" is not really a big deal from a Muslim perspective. It's more of an issue for Christianity.

The topic is really in-depth and it's a really long discussion. I can't even convey to you how much of a non-issue this is for Muslims. This is something which is dealt with constantly all throughout the Quran and the Hadith. Islam doesn't teach us to expect the world to be a Disney movie. The Quran tells us straight-up that humans are born into struggle. This is why the concept of jihad runs throughout Islam. I don't mean the "jihad" of ISIS- I mean the jihad against one's desires. Patience is a form of jihad.

And We will surely test you with something of fear and hunger and a loss of wealth and lives and fruits, but give good tidings to the patient,

-Quran [2:155]

Rather than have people be naiive and expect this world to be a Disney movie, Islam tells us that Allah will test us and prepares us. So a Muslim has no business being surprised when they are tested. Also it is possible that a person is being punished for their sins. So Muslims are not really surprised when things happen- our religion teaches us to expect it. I would say Islam is sort of like Stoicism in that we're adapted to dealing with hardship. Also, dealing with hardship gets rid of one's sins. So it's actually a good thing in a way. So the "problem of evil" is not really a thing in Islam. Islam tells us straight up that humans are born into struggle and that Allah will test us... so it's not exactly shocking or a major "problem" that Allah tests us. When you have a belief system that says "you will be tested"- it's not a major shock to the belief system when one is tested. Also, I don't think "the Problem of Evil" is a big problem for Christianity either. Christians are supposed to be like Jesus (PBUH). I think it's natural that would involve facing trials.
  • Ram
    I'm saying you've just asserted there is a big problem with materialism. You haven't show why that is true or logical conclusion. Everytime you are challenged, you just return to the initial assertion there is a big problem.

This is what others meant when accusing you of "begging the question." Everytime you are challenged, you return to just the assertion of the "big problem" as you justification for your position. You don't address the objections in terms of how opponents mistaken or logically flawed. You just return to asserting there is a "big problem."
    TheWillowOfDarkness

There is a "big problem"? Where have I blindly referred to a "big problem"? I said there is a hole in materialism but I don't know where I've referred to a "big problem". You've used the phrase "big problem" a number of times and you are the first person who has used the phrase. The only time I've used the phrase "big problem" is where I said "Also, I don't think "the Problem of Evil" is a big problem for Christianity either.". Besides that, I haven't used that phrase.
  • TheWillowOfDarkness

By "big problem" I'm referring to assertions about the deficiencies of athesim or materialism. I'm not speaking about the words you are using.

It's the concepts I'm referring to, the arguments about materialism and athiesm having "a big gaping hole" or secularism having the problem of "no basis." I'm saying you just keep asserting those problems are so rather than supporting the are true.
  • unenlightened
    Attractive to you.Ram

Again you want to tell me about me, instead of telling me about you.
  • PossibleAaran
    Hi Ram,

The problem I think most people are having with your post is multifaceted. You claim that there is a big "hole in Materialism", but there are really several holes. First you assert that it "leads to" Nihilism. Second you assert that it gives people a "pass to do whatever they want". Third you assert that it has no "objective basis for morality". One difficulty is that all of these assertions are vague and may be understood in different ways (especially the phrase "leads to". Does that mean "causes" or "entails" or what?), and you do not clarify their exact meaning.

Another difficulty, made plain by Willow already, is that you don't give any argument for any of these assertions. Noone is asking you to prove that there is a God, but if you assert those claims above, you are expected to give some reason for believing them, but you don't. Again, you are not being asked to do so from within the constraints of some special "Enlightenment Epistemology". You are simply asked to provide some reason of some sort for your assertions, rather than just speculate.

Lastly, the most obvious way to argue for your claims would be to look at the various attempts by Materialists to avoid the problems you see and to criticize them, but you outright refuse to do that because you don't like Western University research or professional western philosophy, because according to you its all either post-modernism or anti-religion. I work at a western university philosophy department by the way, and our department is neither explicitly post modern nor anti-religion as a whole. But if you refuse to criticize any attempt to patch the hole that you see by trained professionals, how can you expect anyone to be convinced by your post?

PA
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.