• Blue Lux
    I suppose I agree with everything you have said except
    An abstract object, pretty much by the definition of "abstract" (which means, "extracted from"), does not exist. It was abstracted from something which did exist, but it did not exist before some mind abstracted it (or it would not have been necessary to abstract it in the first place).Mariner

The problem I have with this is the idea that the existence of anything , abstract or not, the perhaps 'presence' of the noema in hyle, does not exist in the strict sense but has a borrowed existence. I don't agree, because I think there are instincts of fesr and anxiety within us that relate to imaginary objects, and beings of which do not in a sense 'exist' but have the notation of existence. I think, on the contrary, that existence itself is a demarcation regarding what we can have control over by means of the intellect; all other being is in the mode of unapprehendable, de facto, a priori, etc.
  • jorndoe
    If this is true, then this is notMariner

I know dreams and hallucinations and such, like this discussion.
    We already have verbiage like imaginary/fictional versus real, and the likes of that mentioned in the post above.
    I'd have to say it works better than "being" versus "existence", but maybe that's just me.
189101112Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.