• khaled
    It would be great if there is a way to refute this school of thought but I have come across none that I thought were satisfactory. The Pyrrhonean skeptics seem to have made the least disagreeable premises for their argument they could possibly make. Generally, as I understand it, the argument goes like:

P1: One must presuppose a premise to make an argument (like right now)
    P2: There is an infinite number of presupposible premises
    P3: There is no way to know the truth of a presupposed premise (by definition, it is presupposed)
    P4: Sufficiently different premises lead to different conclusions
    C: There is no way to know the truth of a conclusion for certain

Now, this goes back and applies to itself, so P1/2/3/4 may be doubted as presupposed premises and I am asking how that may be done. It seems to me that P1/2/3/4 are too elementary to be doubted and so the skeptic conclusion must follow.

Is there a premise that must be accepted apriori by all schools of thought equally that is NOT P1/2/3/4? If so I would really like to know what it is.

Similarly, is it possible to dispense with any one of P1/2/3/4? Wouldn't the act of doubting premises as elementary as P1/2/3/4 just be a demonstration of how C still stands no matter what? In the act of doubting such elementary premises, you'd only be demonstrating that any premise is doubtable
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.