• Twain
    Listening to speeches and audiobooks for weeks on end I just kept coming across people mentioning a certain interdependency between "You" (which I can only guess is the experience of the "I") and the entire rest of the universe. And that we depend on the universe in the same way it also depends on us.

The only way I could see this making sense is that with "the universe" the world created by my senses is being meant. And of course when I'm dead that universe ceases to exist.

But I really don't think that that's how i.e. Alan Watts means it as he is talking about the I "evoking the creation of stars" and that we're doing it unknowingly on the same way we don't know how to grow our bones or shape our eyeballs.

How could that mutual dependency make sense? I see how we need the universe, but how does it need us or the "I"?
  • BrianW
    Hi, and welcome to TPF.

This interdependence is one of the fundamental beliefs of mine. I try to avoid metaphysics and spiritual philosophy when I explain it to myself (I try to omit ideas such as consciousness, self, the 'I', etc). Personally, I think the intelligence which governs evolution is adjusted or tweaked and applied in small doses into all the various forms of existence. What we believe is the significance of our lives and the need to protect it or the 'sacredness' of it, is just a mechanism to ensure we extract the most from our experiences. Ultimately we are fodder for the greater life - it works through us and we work for it - therefore, we are dependent upon it just as it is dependent upon us.
  • Ej Riddle
    Everything is Energy! The universe is the source of that energy. We co-create our reality with not only others around us, but with the Universe as well.To omit the idea of consciousness is basically ignoring the essence of the Universe. If you take away Conscious thought, the Universe ceases to exist as we know it. It needs us just as much as We need it.
    ~Ej
  • Marchesk
    How could that mutual dependency make sense? I see how we need the universe, but how does it need us or the "I"?Twain

The universe doesn't need us. We're born, humans evolved, space is vast, life inhabits all sorts of habitats we don't. Also, we depend on things like air, food, water, the right temperature range and what not to survive.

So unless one thinks all of that is merely an appearance in the mind, the universe doesn't need us.
  • BC
    I asked the Universe if it was at all dependent on me. I have not yet received an answer. I'm guessing not.
  • creativesoul
    In a trivial way, in order for the universe to be as it is with humans in it, it must have humans in it.
  • Ötzi
    Everything is interdependent. To claim something is independent is to deny its causes. Example: a chair depends on its parts and is not inherently a chair.

Can there be multiple causes? Yes, but even between seemingly independent causes there is always interaction. Look back in time far enough and they have the same origin. Look forward and you will see two seemingly independent causes leading to a single outcome.

Does the universe need us? I don't know, does a chair need legs?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.