• 0 thru 9
    What things help you and your brain perform its best? We heavy-lifting intellectuals and mathletes :snicker: need to be in tip-top shape neuron-wise! What’s your favorite brain food? And have you experienced diet-related “brain fog”?
  • Baden

Physical exercise—which I'm not doing enough of at the moment. Plus being creative and having positive social interactions (though I personally will never be a "mathlete" of the calibre of some of our posters here no matter what. :) ) Pretty much the same stuff that offsets stress then. Skeptical of the diet-related stuff as having a direct a relation to optimal mental functioning as just being generally fit and happy does.
  • 0 thru 9

:up: Thanks for the reply! Though I’m curious about your observation that diet doesn’t seem to affect your mental functioning. Did you have coffee this morning? Notice anything? :nerd:

Ok, ok... coffee (aka flavored caffeine) might be an exception here because of its “stimulant nature”. But you must have a remarkably consistent diet or constitution if you haven’t experienced some emotional or mental effects from either “junk food” or “healthy food”. Not doubting you, just somewhat surprised... and jealous. :lol:

Since this is far from a scientific survey, I don’t quite know where to classify a feeling of low or high physical energy or tiredness that is attributable to diet. Is that brain functioning, body metabolism, or both? I would lean towards saying that it is both to some degree. But your mileage may literally vary... especially if you are running a marathon.
  • Baden

I've never been too concerned with food. As long as I've eaten enough, got my calories in, it's seemed a side issue. And I've never been on a diet of any sort that I can recall (apart from a vague recollection of trying high-protein for a while).

Did you have coffee this morning?0 thru 9

Not this morning, but I often do.

Notice anything?0 thru 9

Actually, no...

Since this is far from a scientific survey, I don’t quite know where to classify a feeling of low or high physical energy or tiredness that is attributable to diet. Is that brain functioning, body metabolism, or both?0 thru 9

Both. Any chemical changes in the brain caused by a change in diet are covered under metabolism. And maybe I'm just not very in touch with my metabolism. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it?
  • apokrisis
    And have you experienced diet-related “brain fog”?0 thru 9

The article doesn't mention it but the link is now even stronger with the recent discoveries about the microbiome and gut-brain axis. In short, your diet needs to create a healthy gut bacterial ecosystem.

There is symbiotic signalling between bacteria and gut. And the gut and brain also talking via the central nervous system. So beyond leaky gut and other mechanisms, this would be another big reason for brain fog. It would also be a reason to think twice about using antibiotics as well as changing your diet.
  • 0 thru 9
    But if it ain't broke, don't fix it?Baden
    Exactly. Glad to hear we haven’t driven you to donuts dunked in whiskey! :lol:
  • 0 thru 9
    Thanks for mentioning that. Good point. The lower gut is like our physical foundation. Years ago, an undiagnosed gluten allergy zapped my physical and mental energy and I felt like a flooded house caught in a mudslide. And you are right about antibiotics best being only used if necessary. They won’t help colds and flu which are viruses. :mask:

As you know, a strong immune system can survive a lot. A weakened system will topple in a strong breeze. Immunity can be life or death. But things that are interests or enjoyable hobbies can strengthen immunity. So TPF can be good for the body as well as the mind! :strong: :nerd:
  • Baden
    Exactly. Glad to hear we haven’t driven you to donuts dunked in whiskey!0 thru 9

Is that a thing? :halo: :) Anyway, not to worry, my wounds tend to be self-inflicted. The gut biome is a fruitful line of inquiry, of course. My hunch is that for the majority of people, a relatively conventional diet plus regular exercise is more healthy than a special diet without it, which is my reason for giving that primacy. Similarly with regard to stress, chronic amounts can be crippling in a way a poor diet may not be. And all this relates to immune system functioning in different ways for different people. So... it's complicated and my sample of one may not mean much. I defer to the experts.
  • Hanover
    Physical exercise—which I'm not doing enough of at the momentBaden

I disagree, since I've noticed many really smart people that were in terrible physical condition. It's not like nerds are usually jocks.

What keeps me most mentally focused are deadlines and firm demands. It's the need to survive that keeps us working hardest. The more the exam is worth, the more I'll study for it.
  • Baden
    The more the exam is worth, the more I'll study for it.Hanover

And with an attitude as positive as that, you'll eventually graduate high school, I'm sure. :strong:

I disagree, since I've noticed many really smart people that were in terrible physical condition. It's not like nerds are usually jocks.Hanover

I've noticed plenty of dumb people in pretty poor condition too. In any case, there's plenty of evidence for it: E.g. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-athletes-way/201310/scientists-discover-why-exercise-makes-you-smarter
  • All sight
    Waistline is also predictive of IQ, as early as pre-school, but particularly by 40. Nerds may not be jocks, but they're at least thin.
  • Hanover
    I've noticed plenty of dumb people in pretty poor condition too. In any case, there's plenty of evidence for it: E.g. https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-athletes-way/201310/scientists-discover-why-exercise-makes-you-smarterBaden

I'm not discounting the holistic value of physical fitness, but I would encourage our failing youth to spend more time in the library than the gym if they wish to increase their grades.

The two words that make my point best are: Stephen Hawkings.
  • 0 thru 9
    The mental clouds are slowly lifting... seems brain fog prevents one from realizing that they have brain fog. Before, I thought the whole Atkins diet thing of eating proteins instead of carbs was a little imbalanced. Now, with slight modifications, I see there is something to it. Adding essential fats while reducing sugars and starches seems to reduce inflammation, toxicity, and insulin-imbalance, among many other benefits. I mistakenly thought cholesterol was the enemy and the body needed a constant supply of carbohydrates for energy and to prevent getting “hangry”. Not so when it has been switched into “fat-burning” mode, which it can be, strangely enough, by eating more fat while cutting starchy foods. Others can explain it better:
    https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/04/24/burning-fat-for-fuel.aspx
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment