• Lucid
    Imagine, if you will, there is a man inside of a box. The box is on fire, and the man knows it is on fire. Inside of the box he has all the creature comforts: food and drink, methods of distraction like tv, games, books etc. But outside the box are the people he loves, the things he loves doing for and with them. Imagine, also, that the man knows exactly how to escape the box, and has the answer written on the walls.

What would keep the man inside the box? On the one hand, if he wants to leave, but doesn't, what keeps him there, what keeps him from overcoming himself? But if he doesn't want to leave, why could this be, he has absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain. For the purpose of this thought experiment we will assume the former; that he does in fact, wish to leave, but finds himself unable to.

The only thing I can think of is that ones tolerance to corruption is equal to that of his motivation to change... One must overcome himself, to overcome himself, to be himself. How is this achieved? It is a simple matter to think of leaving the box. He wants to leave the box, but not more than he wants to stay in the box. Confronted with conflicting desires he must identify with one or the other... Let's say he identifies with wanting to leave the box.

To actually leave, he must figure out how to lower his tolerance for corruption, increase his desire for purity, in order to actually overcome his resistance, and step outside the box into heaven, so to speak. It is a simple matter to just say to this man "just leave the box!" But is another matter entirely if you are this man.

My questions to you are: What would keep the man inside of the situation he knows to be detrimental to his health? What prevents him from following through with his desire to escape? And what tools or methods can he apply to overcome himself?
  • Hanover
    He sounds agoraphobic.

The corruption suggestion sounds like projection. There's no way to arrive at that suggestion from the facts provided.
    To actually leave, he must figure out how to lower his tolerance for corruption, increase his desire for purity, in order to actually overcome his resistance, and step outside the box into heaven, so to speak.Lucid

How does any of this follow from a guy refusing to leave a burning box? He's not leaving because he has an irrational desire to be in a box. I don't see how corruption and purity has anything to do with anything here.
  • Lucid
    Ah, sorry. The corruption purity thing is due to the fact that I equate those terms with negativity and positivity, respectively, and use the terms interchangeably.

So to escape, he must lower his tolerance for negativity- ie his acceptance of being in the burning box. And increase his desire for positivity- to escape the box.

And yet, how is this achieved? How does one change their own mind?

Eta- I was not sure of what agoraphobia was- I'm not sure how that term applies. Isn't being in a burning box a situation for panic and helplessness? Or is your assertion that his choice to remain-if it is a choice, I'm not certain it is- allows him a certain measure of control, however fictitious, and that removing himself from the negative situation would be to give up that control?
  • rachMiel
    Some people derive pleasure from remaining in a harmful situation. They spin it into a story of the nobility of suffering, or of the struggle of a human being to overcome horrible odds, or something even juicier for them. If this pleasure is pleasurable enough, it might prevent a person from leaving their burning box. Decorate your prison cell exquisitely ... and why would you ever want to leave, particularly if your 'destination' is unknown and potentially (far) less pleasurable than your cell?
  • Sir2u
    It is a simple matter to just say to this man "just leave the box!" But is another matter entirely if you are this man.Lucid

This sounds like a metaphorical story for a bum marriage.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.