• Jolly
    I need help with these two questions. Perhaps an example to illustrate the answer provided?

5. An invalid argument that can be made valid by the addition of a new premise? Yes.
    Plenty of examples, but let me offer a more general observation. We can always
    make an invalid argument valid, by adding a contradiction into the premises. For
    an argument is valid if and only if it is impossible for all the premises to be true and
    the conclusion false. If the premises are contradictory, then it is impossible for them
    all to be true (and the conclusion false).

6. A valid argument that can be made invalid by the addition of a new premise? No.
    An argument is valid if and only if it is impossible for all the premises to be true
    and the conclusion false. Adding another premise will only make it harder for the
    premises all to be true together.
  • AngleWyrm
    I'm not so sure the notion 'unfalsifiable' represents a true or false state, but rather some in-between condition that hasn't resolved to a boolean yes/no.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.