• Dfpolis
    Here are three paradoxes based on a single error.

1. The Liar Paradox (aka Epimenides Paradox): “This sentence is false.” If we assume it's true, then it's false. If we assume it's false then it's true. But, by the Principle of Excluded Middle, it must be true or false.

This has given rise to an entire literature of solutions including discussions by Buridan, Tarsli and Kripke. Many of these focus on the self-referential nature of the paradox.

We can avoid self reference by using a different form:

2. Jourdain’s Paradox: This is a card, on the front of which is printed, “The statement on the other side is true.” On the other side is printed, “The statement on the other side is false.” Again, no matter what truth value we assign to either statement, we can't find a self-consistent set of truth values.

We notice, however, that both paradoxes involve statements about statements. So, perhaps that is the core issue.

The next paradox brings in real world situations, showing that this alone is insufficient:

3. Kripke’s Paradox:
    Consider the ordinary statement, made by Jones:
    (1) Most (i.e., a majority) of Nixon's assertions about Watergate are false. Clearly, nothing is intrinsically wrong with (I), nor is it ill-formed. Ordinarily the truth value of (1) will be ascertainable through an enumeration of Nixon's Watergate-related assertions, and an assessment of each for truth or falsity. Suppose, however, that Nixon's assertions about Watergate are evenly balanced between the true and the false, except for one problematic case,
    (2) Everything Jones says about Watergate is true. Suppose, in addition, that (1) is Jones's sole
    assertion about Watergate, or alternatively, that all his Watergate-related assertions except perhaps (1) are true. Then it requires little expertise to show that (1) and (2) are both paradoxical: they are true if and only if they are false.
    — Saul A. Kripke, “Outline of a Theory of Truth,” Journal of Philosophy 72 (19):690-716 (1975)

What do we see in common here? First, despite Kirpke’s best efforts, all three paradoxes involve sentence about sentences. Second, the assumption that we can assign binary truth values to such sentences does not work out. Thus, a possible solution is to discard the Principle of Excluded Middle.

Before discarding Excluded Middle, let’s examine Kirpke’s case more closely. Note that "Everything Jones says about Watergate is true," is not a statement about the reality of Watergate, but one about Jones' statements. Similarly, "Most of Nixon's assertions about Watergate are false," is not a statement about Watergate, but about Nixon's locutions. Thus, it cannot be counted among "Nixon's assertions about Watergate."

To see this more clearly, consider the Watergate event constrained by all of Jones excepted statements, i.e. “all his Watergate-related assertions except” (1). If we change anything about Watergate not covered by Jones' excepted statements, the change will not alter the supposed truth or falsity of either Jones' or Nixon's claims. Thus, they are not “about Watergate” at all.

So, Kripke's paradox is just like Jourdain's. While either statement in it, or in Jourdain's paradox, taken in isolation could be ultimately referential, in the scenario given, they are not.

Why should this matter? Because the Principle of Excluded Middle with respect to statements is not, and cannot be, fundamental. We have seen in our three paradoxes that assuming it to apply to all sentences leads to contradictions. So, its universal applicability is disproven by a reductio ad absurdum.

What is fundamental, is the Principle of Excluded Middle with respect to existence. Either a putative reality is, or it is not. If we want to reason, salve veritate (in a truth preserving way), about reality, our reasoning needs to reflect this principle of being. So also do the sentences expressing our reasoning.

On the other hand, if we aren’t discussing reality (and none of the three paradoxes are) there's no reason to expect the Principle of Excluded Middle to apply to our sentences.

So, the fundamental error here is assuming that truth and falsity can be assigned to statements which can't be cashed out existentially. Truth is the adequacy of our thought to reality and so is intrinsically relational. Thus, not all statements have to be true or false. Some can be non-referential – having no relation to reality, and so neither true not false. Accordingly, it is a category error to assert that non-referential statements are true or false.

“Truth value,” then, is quite different from truth. While <truth> is a relational concept abstracted from referential thinking, <truth value> is a non-relational construct supposed to be a property of propositions taken in isolation. Such constructs can be useful in limited ranges of verified application, but there is no warrant for thinking they are of universal value.
  • tim wood
    I'm having trouble with Kripke's paradox. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

1) Z=Jones says X.

2) Z is true.

If Jones says X, then Z holds. Both 1) and 2) are true.

If Jones does not say X, then Z is false and 2) is false.

Let's try this:

1) Z=X.

2) Z is true.

If X, then Z. 1) is true; 2) is true

If not X, then not Z. 1) is true, and 2) is true.

And this:

1) Z=Jones says X is Y.

2) Z is true.

If X is Y and Jones says X is Y, then 1) is true and 2) is true..

If X is not Y, then you have to decide what you're talking about.

What am I missing?
  • tim wood
    Setting the paradoxes aside, the LEM says for suitable X, either X is, or X is not. Either-or (but not both).

So, the fundamental error here is assuming that truth and falsity can be assigned to statements which can't be cashed out existentially.Dfpolis
    Cannot be assigned? That seems a stretch.

Ah! but you say "truth", not truth value. It is not clear to me that truth or falsity is ever assigned to any statements, rather they just are true or false (if materially qualified wffs otherwise neither true nor false, possibly ambiguous, possibly meaningless) and we figure out which is which.

If non-qualified wffs, then we can assign truth values, to be sure, but clearly they are not in themselves true or false.

Oooops, wait - did we just agree?
  • Dfpolis
    Cannot be assigned? That seems a stretch.tim wood

How can you say if a claim is adequate to reality or not, if it says nothing about reality?

It is not clear to me that truth or falsity is ever assigned to any statementstim wood

You're right, of course. Truth values are assigned. Truth is determined. I wanted a word that would cover both cases, "Assigned" isn't quite it. "Attributed" is probably a better choice.
  • Dfpolis
    I'm having trouble with Kripke's paradox.tim wood

The question is: are more than half of Nixon's statements about Watergate false? One of Nixon's statements that is supposedly about Watergate is his claim about Jones' statement. If he is right about Jone's statement, that supposedly tips the balance in favor of true and Jones' statement is false. On the other hand, if Nixon is wrong about Jones' statement, then the balance is tipped the other way and Jones is supposedly speaking the truth.
  • tim wood
    One of Nixon's statements that is supposedly about Watergate is his claim about Jones' statement.Dfpolis
    Thank you, that's what I missed.
  • Dfpolis
    You're welcome.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.