• TexMex
    Recently reading the LANGUAGE poets of the mid-late 20th century like Bernstein and Hejinian, they mentioned philosophical influences such as Kant, Wittgenstein, and others for their linguistic praxis. I would like to learn more about philosophy/aesthetic of language, but don't know where to start, since Kant and Wittgenstein never published a book solely on language...I think.
  • John Doe
    I believe that your goals might be best served by this course and related reading material.

If you're interested in Kant and Wittgenstein specifically I am sure a more capable member can help so long as you give a tad more explanation of what it is you might be looking for.

Kant has very little to say explicitly about language, although there's a saying that goes 'semantics is the soft underbelly' of Kant's thinking. Wittgenstein, on the other hand, wrote his two major books on language, but not "solely" on language because the crux of his genius and originality is his ability to show why it is the case that language cannot be separate from what it means to think, tickle a loved one, play in a field, etc.
  • TexMex
    What other philosophers/books would you recommend?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.