• Belter
    Mind is like a reference system in the general relativity. Each reference system has a relative –or private- time, in the same way that each individual has its our private experiences. The objectivity of mind is an illusion, such as the objective or absolute time.
    Consider the following mental experiment. Suppose that there is a way of viewing in a screen that John is thinking. And now you suppose that John looks at the screen. What is that John see in the screen? The answer is that John can't see the screen due to it implies an infinite. John would see in the screen to John viewing to himself the screen, and so ad infinitum.
    The mental experiment shows that a mind cannot be public or “duplicated” without failing in a paradox. Between two identical minds would be an infinite, so it is impossible. Privacy, singularity or subjectivity is the essential of mind. What do you think about it?
  • unenlightened
    So the John that is conscious of himself is not the John he is conscious of - is that what you are saying? That consciousness entails an unconscious.
  • Kebt rhodes
    I like where you are going with John. And I believe there are a few ways to think about it.

If John views a screen that shows him what he is thinking, then the idea is that he is thinking about the screen and what the screen is showing him, which is what he is thinking. So there is an infinite chain, much like 2 mirrors opposite each other.

However, much like the mirrors, all that the screen would show would be exactly what John is already thinking. The duplication would in fact be hidden, as all John could see would be the immediate screen - he would necessarily be unaware of the infinite chain behind what he is currently seeing. You could argue there are hidden multiverses beneath the first image, and I'm ok with that - but it doesn't really prove much to postulate I don't believe, at least here. John the 1st would only be aware of the immediate image. and as all the images would be the same: thinking about a screen that shows me what I'm thinking, and all the johns would be thinking the same thing... it is exactly like looking into a mirror that can show you what you are thinking. which depending on your poker or people-reading skills... well never mind that.

And even if John could think infinitely - which is maybe what you are saying, all those thoughts would be identical. Infinity that has a singular scope is really just singularity when considering the singular scope.

So I'm not sure how that proves anything - even in the thought experiment it exists in - about the objectivity or subjectivity of mind. Certainly an interesting start, but not sure how to get from the thought experiment to objectivity and subjectivity. Perhaps you could elucidate?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.