• tim wood
    Word salad, language on a holiday, and a waste of time. If you have a definition of beautiful, as noun or adjective, state it reasonably simply and briefly. Then we may agree or disagree, or move together toward refinement and greater understanding, whichever may be the case. And it could be interesting. But I have no time for nonsense.
  • BrianW

Instead of reducing things to fit your perspective, try expanding your perspective to include things. I believe it is how to increase our knowledge base.

The beauty of common language is, even though it does not express common thought, it does, however, express common experience. It is a fact of common human experience that beauty is a thing (identity). Hence we say, "that is beauty," or "that is not beauty,".
    We also say, "beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." This expresses another fact of human experience, which is that, beauty is a relationship.

The principles I have deduced may not be agreeable but how can we doubt experience? Unless, perhaps, my understanding of it is mistaken... ?
  • Aleksander Kvam
    im a bit dim :) but could anyone explain the "objective" and the "subjective" for me :) its "beauty" and "beautiful" right?
  • Aleksander Kvam
    beauty is a relationshipBrianW

...if a relationship is beautiful? :razz:
  • Tim3003
    Keats said: "Truth is beauty, beauty truth. That's all ye know on Earth and all ye need to know." I think he was right, although he couldn't know why. What we see as beautiful attracts us, ugliness repels us. The reason is simple; evolutionary necessity. Clearly, beauty in a person matches what we as individuals need to produce and raise children. More abstractly: what defines a beautiful day? Most would agree it is sunshine, warmth, a pleasant comfortable open location. By contrast an ugly day would be dark, cold, wet, in a hostile - perhaps confined location. It's easy to see how these extremes match with our necessities for survival. Cold, dark, wet - all good for sudden death via predators, pneumonia, damage to shelter etc. Whereas sunshine, calm, open countryside - good for safety and helpful to grow our crops, build shelter and so on. Keats can't have been too hot on Darwinism, but I'm sure he'd have seen in it the truth he instinctively knew.
  • One here
    Beauty is this.
    Order, disorder, order, disorder.....
    It goes this way.
    For example I have a tree farm. If I look at the distance i see mess, chaos, but when i come closer, i see this beautiful trees, each one. and so on.
123Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.