• allan wallace
    Even from where sit here in The Antipodes I know that Jeremy Corbyn is an insipid arsehole, a vacuous populist sycophant that has consistently shown himself to be the atypical politician: a self-serving trough swilling swine that is beholden to his sponsors....
  • BC
    Schmucks? Now that you're a party member you're using Yiddish expressions? You must be a dog-whistling Zionist. (joke)

Over in the Desire and a New Fascism thread Unenlightened is plumping for Palestine. He posted a 4 part 100% objective TV program from Al Jazeera on Israel's nefarious activities coordinating anti-Palestinian activities in the UK.

A schmuck is a penis. There are, indeed, a lot of pricks on the Internet.
  • BC
    What, in a smallish nutshell, do you have against Corbyn? So many in the UK seem to dislike him with uncharacteristic British passion.
  • allan wallace
    G'day Bitter Crank! I'm out in the colonies, a bit further North than Antarctica....

Hmmmm, imagine if you will one of those 'Antifa' parasites scuttling cockroach like across a park in the midst of a small army of similarly attired insects and the aforementioned scuttling cockroach was to trip over one of his undone shoelaces on his rainbow coloured Doc Martins and left to the mercy of the rapidly approaching Constabulary by his cowardly cohorts....as the wailing wretch cowers on the ground he has his mask ripped off! it would come as no surprise to see the visage of the dread Jeremy Corbyn himself! :lol:
  • BC
    We have something in common but opposite -- you're close to Antarctica; we get regular doses of arctic air in the winter, the frosty "Alberta clippers".

I'm not fond of the anti-fascists; not that makes me fond of fascists, either. They are both unfriendly rigid doctrinaire authoritarians A plague on both their houses.

So I take it you find in Corbyn an unfriendly rigid doctrinaire type?
  • allan wallace
    Erm, yeah, something like that I suppose.... :smile:
  • S
    Even from where sit here in The Antipodes I know that Jeremy Corbyn is an insipid arsehole, a vacuous populist sycophant that has consistently shown himself to be the atypical politician: a self-serving trough swilling swine that is beholden to his sponsors....allan wallace

Is that gammon I smell? :chin:
  • Moliere
    Well, it kind of goes hand-in-hand with my whole joy-in-hopelessness thing, but I suppose that in spite of the feeling part of what I mean by "getting used to it" is that you just carry on the best you can. And you really and truly just get over it, and celebrate when things go well, mourn losses, but you stop agonizing over it. The agony wasn't helping out with the whole alienation thing in the first place.

So politics matter, and I still vote because that's where people are at -- it's where people's heads are at when doing politics. And in politics, however bad it gets, it can always get worse -- things are always relatively bad or good, depending on the circumstances.

I surely don't mean to promote hopelessness and alienation to make people do less. Rather, though things feel alienating and hopeless, you can just accept it and keep on going -- I don't like to bullshit people. Doing nothing always brings you nothing, so giving up isn't the right answer if you really care about political outcomes.
  • gurugeorge
    But I think the gist is accurate of many people.0 thru 9

Well the gist of it is that the political process has been captured by an unholy alliance of Left-wing ideologues, sundry so-called "experts", NGOs, banks, big corporations and civil servants, so it's no wonder people in general have lost interest in it.
  • Aleksander Kvam
    Im in the liquor party....
  • 0 thru 9
    For what it is worth... Still alienated here, lotsa feelings and ideas, but still alienated. It’s probably a fool’s game looking for heroes anywhere. But looking for them in politics is like a high-stakes fool’s game. In my humble opinion...

Only 19 votes in at this point, so it’s really a small sample size. But about 85% saying that they are completely or mostly politically alienated gives some pause. And we are the intellectual elite! :rofl:
  • ArguingWAristotleTiff
    For what it is worth... Still alienated here, lotsa feelings and ideas, but still alienated. It’s probably a fool’s game looking for heroes anywhere0 thru 9

For what it is worth, I agree, we need to stop looking for heroes in everyone else, waiting for them to arrive. We are them and we are here. Yet still I feel deep commonality with you, in feeling alienated with lots of feelings and ideas but no where safe to share them.

My Grampa would never disclose whom he voted for no matter how hard I would press him when he was alive. But before I could ask him a second time and frankly I was loaded for bear, he said "Even though I might not ever say who I vote for, it is still every citizens duty to vote for someone. And if people choose not to vote then the words they utter in complaint or compliment mean nothing."

Wisdom imparted. I didn't find it soon enough but I got it now.
  • 0 thru 9
    What say for the process of picking Justices for the SCOTUS, we just institute something like the NBA’s draft lottery? Top picks in a bowl, only slightly weighted toward the party currently in power. Silly, but only slightly less strange than the process now, imho...

The whole system, top to bottom and left to right, is most likely beyond repair. It is a broken down, rusted-out car. We can either fix it, get a new one, or toddle along until it dies by the side of the road in a blizzard. (I’m guessing the third choice).

We’re locked in a tailspin. Those that can make a change, won’t. Those that want a change, can’t.
    So we wait...
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube