• khaled
    Correct. One brought us secularism and the computer you're typing this on and the other brought us the siege of Constantinople. I'll take the PC thanks
  • princessofdarkness

Along with many of the comments above, I agree that your conclusions don’t necessarily follow. Especially “the right to bear arms is the right to kill” and “ the right to property is the right to theft”. If we are talking about what the United States of America considers “natural rights”, by no means did the Founding Fathers affirm the right to bear arms and the right to property along with killing and theft. Murder and theft are against the law, showing that they are not thought of as “human rights”.
    I also do not see how lying becomes a virtue in any way.

Some food for thought:

The Christian Decalogue is a sum of commandments. God gave His people free will.
    1. If God gave His people free will then they have the right to choose.
    2. The right to free speech, to bear arms, to freedom, to property, and to freely worship are all choices.
    3. God gave His people the right to free speech, to bear arm, to freedom, to property, and to freely worship.

Of course lying, killing, oppressing others, stealing, and idolizing are all wrong and the law has attempted to limit those wrong choices. If anything human rights to all these freedoms allow a great God given gift: the gift of free will.
145678Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.