• Srap Tasmaner
    REPLACED BY A 3 OPTION POLL. I invite all to re-vote.

This is a bit fluff for me, but I'm genuinely curious.

I don't want to prejudice the discussion -- a few of you might guess or know my answer -- so I'm not going to present any thoughts for or against.

I'm also not adding a "depends what you mean" option, because the whole point is to find out what people mean when they answer the question yay or nay. You'll have to choose if you want to play.

Everyone can define "Western civilization" however they like. I could say I intend the question to be about the culture we associate with European history rather than the behavior of Europeans, but anyone who wants to argue those cannot be disentangled is welcome to.

ALSO: If you don't think there is such a thing, don't vote.
    1. Has "Western Civilization" been a disaster? (6 votes)
        Yes
        33%
        No
        67%
  • Maw
    Personally I don't think "Western Civilization" is a coherent concept, so I can't, in any good faith, supply my own definition for it, and I don't think anyone can supply a homogenized rationality to it without hand-waving numerous contradictions and inconsistencies.
  • Janus

I think 'western culture' and 'western history' are adequately determinate subjects. I voted 'no' because I think any culture is necessarily a "mixed blessing".
  • Srap Tasmaner

Oh yeah, meant to say, "If you don't think there is such a thing, don't vote," but I forgot. I'll add that.

ADDED: Shoot! Have to amend the question again. If the proposition is "Western Civilization has been a disaster," you may choose, even considering "Western civilization" to be a vacuous description, to consider the proposition thereby nonsense or thereby false.
  • Srap Tasmaner
    Hmmm, have decided it's better to give a "no such thing" option, since partisans of the other options would also disagree with the partisans of option 3. But you can't edit the options, at least not once it's going. Look for a re-rolled poll.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.