• Rayan
    So, I am learning a bit of Relational Logic and there is something about the definition of a quantified sentence that I don't quite get. So, it says this: ‘‘A universally quantified sentence is used to assert that all objects have a certain property. For example, the following expression is a universally quantified sentence asserting that, if p holds of an object, then q holds of that object and itself.’’

(∀x.(p(x) ⇒ q(x,x)))
    ;
    Well, I don't quite get what is meant by ‘‘then q holds of that object and itself.’’
  • MetaphysicsNow
    Under relational logic there will be some relations that are are reflexive and some that are not. In this case, q is a reflexive relation. Think of the relation "as tall as". I am as tall as myself, so "as tall as" is reflexive since it holds between me and myself. It also holds between me and anyone else as tall as me. However, "smaller than" is not a relation that holds between me and myself, even though it holds between me and anyone smaller than me.

Does that help, or am I missing your point?
  • Rayan
    Yes, it does help, thank you!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to The Philosophy Forum!

Get involved in philosophical discussions about knowledge, truth, language, consciousness, science, politics, religion, logic and mathematics, art, history, and lots more. No ads, no clutter, and very little agreement — just fascinating conversations.