• SamLivsey
    From a biological perspective I think it's very easy to qualify the meaning of life: species survival. For the brain of us complex beings however, this isn't enough and we need stimulation, stimulation which causes happiness. I believe that happiness is our driving force and, I know it sounds corny but what is a life without happiness. But what makes us happy? This is the part which differs between individuals. Fulfilment, satisfaction, relaxation? Never once have I read anything which can quantify everything which may make a person happy, but simply, whatever makes a person happy should be the meaning of their life (as long as they aren't harming others).
  • gurugeorge
    egregious generalityTheMadFool

It's necessarily general because the meaning of life is particular to the individual, the resultant of their personal relationship with the cosmos, given the potential they have. So you can only give a general outline and general method (and that might not even work for some people), and remind people of the essence of it being a life satisfactorily lived in the here and now (even though that may require some time-binding, foresight, planning, etc.).

The lived-through texture of presence, existence, is the thing, and it's different for everyone.
  • Rank Amateur
    What was absurd was some inherent desire to search for meaning, where there is none. Is there a reason we a pushing the mythical rock back up the hill, just to have it roll back down.
    — Rank Amateur

Can you have a read above. There is meaning and it's a very personal one. No size fits all. That would be absurd and yet the suggestion/advice ''find one's own meaning'' is itself a universal claim, making the entire exercise a parade of absurdities.
    TheMadFool

Wasn't making my own point, just clarifying what the absurdists philosophy was.

But i think very close to what Camus would have identified as the Absurd Hero
    — Rank Amateur

What's an absurd hero? A man who realizes that there is no meaning to life outside of his own world is free to find his own meaning. To say that life is absurd because it has no meaning and then to level the same accusation at one who creates his own meaning is trying to eat the cake and have it too.
    TheMadFool

To Camus the absurd hero is the person who understands that there is no meaning outside of our existence - and the best one can do is accept that and find meaning in ones own life and existence.

Again, not my philosophy.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube