• marcolobo8
    Hello everyone!

I have considered myself a nihilist for 2-3 years now after thoroughlly analyzing life etc...
    However, lately i have started questioning whether or not i actually am a nihilist...
    It mainly stems from the fact that i dont “ live as a nihilist”... i want to be happy, i treat people right, i have goals etc...
    In other words one might say that i live life as if there is meaning to it...
    But i truly do not believe there is any meaning/purpose to life....
    The conclusion i have come to is that life is meaningless and logically of no value.. BUT i am a human being which means that i besides being logical also am emotional... and this results in what i would call emotional value... life has emotional value to me but no meaning, and therefore i live life and enjoy it because of this emotional aspect...

Does this make me a nihilist? And furthermore... Is my position even a valid philosophical standpoint?
  • praxis
    Does life feel meaningless to you? Like endlessly repetitive and therefore without any real purpose.
  • marcolobo8

Well it cercainly can at time, but not always... If you mean "feel meaningless" by sadness and depressive thoughts etc then yeah sometimes... but overall how i "feel" changes just like everybody else... Its not like i can "feel" meaninglessness... its not really a direct feeling... i can feel the "symptoms" of it like sadness... but to me meaning is a purely logical term and therefore not really something you can feel if you know what i mean
  • T Clark
    The conclusion i have come to is that life is meaningless and logically of no value.. BUT i am a human being which means that i besides being logical also am emotional... and this results in what i would call emotional value... life has emotional value to me but no meaning, and therefore i live life and enjoy it because of this emotional aspect...marcolobo8

"Meaning" is a word that refers to human value, which is not a matter of fact or logic. It's a matter of emotion, feeling, preference, morality, humanity, biology, psychology. How you live your life. It doesn't come from outside, it comes from inside. A lot of your post is describing the human value that comes from inside you.

You don't sound like a nihilist to me.
  • Kamikaze Butter
    Does life having no meaning mean we cannot like french fries?

How you choose to treat people is like any other opinion, yours to choose.
  • praxis
    Its not like i can "feel" meaninglessness...marcolobo8

Imagine being trapped in a repetitive and unfulfilling life with no possibility of escaping it.
  • BC
    Are you a Nihilist? Maybe.

Varieties of nihilism argue...

--the denial or lack of belief towards the reputedly meaningful aspects of life
    --life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value
    --there is no inherent morality; accepted moral values are abstractly contrived
    --knowledge is not possible, or reality does not actually exist

Do you hold all of these principles to be valid? Some parts? Being a nihilist doesn't require you to be unhappy, live without goals, or be unpleasant toward everyone. Nihilists, as much as anyone else, desire love, pleasure, safety, food, warmth, and other good things. Cooperation, pleasantness, tenderness, openness, clear thinking, and so forth help one obtain the good things in life. Abiding by the prevailing morality is at least useful to the individual. Whether life has any intrinsic meaning, purpose or value or not, it can definitely be better and it can be a hell of a lot worse--depending on how one behaves.

Nihilism isn't anomie which is the general mood of despair in situations where there are no norms, rules, or laws found in situations of social collapse.
  • praxis
    Varieties of nihilism argue...

--the denial or lack of belief towards the reputedly meaningful aspects of life
    --life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value
    --there is no inherent morality; accepted moral values are abstractly contrived
    --knowledge is not possible, or reality does not actually exist
    Bitter Crank

Some of the list is a little ambiguous but it seems to indicate that I’m a nihilist. I’m not a nihilist.

For the first item on the list, it’s a popular belief that things like religion offer meaning, or perhaps the pursuit of the American dream, or having children. I haven’t chosen to adopt or pursue these reputedly meaningful things. But I don’t think this should be on the list because I simply value less popular things and nihilism isn’t about popular vs unpopular values.

I don’t believe there’s objective meaning or morality.

I don’t believe we can know reality. I believe we can know our somatic sphere of reality.
  • BC
    I believe we can know our somatic sphere of reality.praxis

Yes, in as much as our perceptual capacity can not immerse itself in the direct nature of the world beyond our skulls, this has to be conceded. Even if we are plunged into cold water, our brain only has proprioception, pressure, and temperature receptors to go on. However, this second hand representation of reality seems fairly consistent and reliable.

I don’t believe there’s objective meaning or morality.praxis

I wouldn't go that far (I'm not a nihilist, I guess). However, we do find it difficult to be objective: impartial, unbiased, unprejudiced, nonpartisan, disinterested, neutral, uninvolved, even-handed, equitable, fair, fair-minded, just, open-minded, dispassionate, detached, neutral... about much of anything. This isn't a fault -- it's a feature. We have evolved to have emotional responses to perceptions, and it is our emotional responses that help keep us alive. Else we would be annihilated by all sorts of things that we didn't fear and loathe sufficiently.

For the first item on the list, it’s a popular belief that things like religion offer meaning, or perhaps the pursuit of the American dream, or having children.praxis

Religion, politics, nihilism, accumulation of cargo, reproduction, etc. provide meaning to people IF and WHEN people derive meaning from it. If it's all subjective, then how can we say it doesn't provide those things? Are you able to objectively say that the meaningfulness of the American Way doesn't exist?

True enough that nihilism isn't about popularity. Value what you will.
  • schopenhauer1

I disagree to quote Schopenhauer:

]that man is a compound of needs which are hard to satisfy; that their satisfaction achieves nothing but a painless condition in which he is only given over to boredom; and that boredom is a direct proof that existence is in itself valueless, for boredom is nothing other than the sensation of the emptiness of existence. For if life, in the desire for which our essence and existence consists, possessed in itself a positive value and real content, there would be no such thing as boredom: mere existence would fulfill and satisfy us. As things are, we take no pleasure in existence except when we are striving after something - in which case distance and difficulties make our goal look as if it would satisfy us (an illusion which fades when we reach it)- or when engaged ill purely intellectual activity, in which case we are really stepping out of life so as to regard it from outside, like spectators at a play. Even sensual pleasure itself consists in a continual striving and ceases as soon as its goal is reached. Whenever we are not involved in one or other of these things but directed back to existence itself we are overtaken by its worthlessness anti vanity and this is the sensation called boredom.
    ]
  • fishfry
    A true nihilist would never bother to try to impress other people by publicly labelling themselves s nihilist. Any true nihilist must keep it to themselves in utter despair.
  • marcolobo8

So to you “ the meaning of life” is purely subjective and just a matter of opinion?
    In other words... objectively the very idea of meaning doesnt exist?
    If this is the case then we agree....
    But if this isnt a nihilistic view or atleast an existential nihilistic view... then what is it??
  • T Clark
    So to you “ the meaning of life” is purely subjective and just a matter of opinion?
    In other words... objectively the very idea of meaning doesnt exist?
    If this is the case then we agree....
    But if this isnt a nihilistic view or atleast an existential nihilistic view... then what is it??
    marcolobo8

I think you and I, if we cared what someone called us, would say we are humanists. The measure of humanity is inside us.

Changing subjects somewhat - I've been listening to William James "Pragmatism." I just finished the second half of the third lecture and the things he was talking about made me think of this discussion. He quoted from Arthur Balfor, "The Foundations of Belief." I thought you might like it.

The energies of our system will decay, the glory of the sun will be dimmed, and the earth, tideless and inert, will no longer tolerate the race which has for a moment disturbed its solitude. Man will go down into the pit, and all his thoughts will perish. The uneasy, consciousness which in this obscure corner has for a brief space broken the contented silence of the universe, will be at rest. Matter will know itself no longer. 'Imperishable monuments' and 'immortal deeds,' death itself, and love stronger than death, will be as though they had never been. Nor will anything that is, be better or be worse for all that the labour, genius, devotion, and suffering of man have striven through countless generations to effect.
  • praxis
    I believe we can know our somatic sphere of reality.
    — praxis

Yes, in as much as our perceptual capacity can not immerse itself in the direct nature of the world beyond our skulls, this has to be conceded. Even if we are plunged into cold water, our brain only has proprioception, pressure, and temperature receptors to go on. However, this second hand representation of reality seems fairly consistent and reliable.
    Bitter Crank

Maybe it's a simulation and only appears to be consistent and reliable.

I don’t believe there’s objective meaning or morality.
    — praxis

I wouldn't go that far (I'm not a nihilist, I guess). However, we do find it difficult to be objective:
    Bitter Crank

Is it about our capacity for objectivity or is it more like assuming that reality is imbued with inherent values, in a God or something, and we merely discover these values?

One way I know that I'm not a nihilist is that I value and stand for things like truth. Oddly, now that I think about it, many people, like those with religious or 'traditional values', value meaning over truth. Some call it faith.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment